StromTrooper banner

Getting water out of tank ('04 650)

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  notacop 
#1 ·
My neighbor's '04 Wee sits outside uncovered and often get a little water in the fuel line. In the past, we've just poured in a splash of fuel additive (Mechanic in a Bottle) and the water burns right off. However, after the heavy rains Hurricane Irma brought, we can't get it run right. The bike died after a couple miles and now won't fire at all. I'm guessing it just took on too much water.

So, I'm looking for advice on how to drain out the water. Just drain from the tank or is there a lower spot the water would sit? Is there a fuel pump?

I've had the tank off before, so removing is not a challenge for me.

(I supposed we also should talk about long-term trouble shooting to stop it from taking on water at all)

#2 ·
If there is a lot of moisture in the tank you may have to take it off and drain it, then use an additive in fresh fuel to remove any moisture from the rest of the system. Check the integrity of the seal at the filler cap too, and the drain line. Water in the well around the fuel tank cap should be draining out the hole on the left side and exiting the hose near the right footpeg. I like to squirt a shot of wd40 through it once in a while to check the flow, also to prevent rust inside the tube that passes through the tank.
Also check for moisture around the front spark plug.

#3 ·
Last time this happened I blew the drain line open with compressed air (tons of trash shot out) and then sprayed it full of WD40. I thought prob was solved, but guess not.

So draining the tank is good enough? There's nothing like the equivalent of a carb float bowl that could hold water? I'm not overly familiar with fuel injection.

#4 ·
An anti-moisture additive should clear out the entire system. They contain methanol, which combines chemically with water so it burns with the fuel.
There are no float bowls, or other places to drain.

#5 ·
Yes there is a fuel pump in the tank. Search here for fuel pump bypass. You will find several posts that describe how to bypass the fuel pump filter. Ignore that part. They also explain how to get the pump out etc.

Remove the tank, drain the fuel as good as possible, position the tank so the remaining fuel is in the front, unbolt the pump, clean everything, re-assemble.

#6 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.