StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

I have perhaps a silly question:

For a little background, I am not a flexible individual.

My question is this: What is your preffered method for mounting/dismounting your strom? When I commute/tour, I often put a duffel/backpack on the passenger seat/luggage rack. That, in addition to the height of the strom, it takes a bit of effort to swing my leg all the way over the top to the rear. I have actually started to develop a bit of discomfort in the groin from the stretch.

With previous bikes, I never had this problem. My road bikes were always 2-3 inches shorter at the saddle, and my dirtbikes never had a big pack over the rear.

I am afraid to pick my knee up to my chest and extend it directly over the saddle, for fear of losing balance, coming up short and kicking my bike over.

Does anybody have any hints/tips for climbing aboard?

My method thus far has been this:

1) face motorcycle from side-stand side, bars tilted left, left hand on handlebar
2) Legs at shoulder width, shift weight on left foot
3) lift right foot off the ground, slight bend at knee, spread legs at groin
4) swing/slide, (knee first) right leg over passenger seat/luggage rack/strapped down goods.

Again, I know it's a silly question, but I'm not used to a big bike with a full load. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
A picture is worth a thousand words. I had my wife come out to the driveway and she took a few of me mounting my Wee. It is on the center-stand but I mount it exactly the same when it is on the side-stand.

First, I stand beside the bike facing the bike and my left hand is on the left grip.

Then I lift my right leg and grab the cuff of my pants.

Next I pull my leg up and place it on the seat.

And then I slide across the seat until my leg is fully across the seat.

And last I shift myself until I am in the seated position.

Works well.

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
Like you said, knee to chest and step over it. Easy peasy for me, 5'9" 32" 170lbs, 60.
Maybe it's not easy for everyone? I do stretch and exercise daily which might help as I approach geezerville.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have used both methods.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I stand on left foot peg, but perhaps at my age I will start to take some Yoga and then when limber just bring knee up to chest.

·
Registered
353 Posts
inflexible also - passenger issue

I use the left footpeg similar to others but will also try this grab the foot and pull it overy technique as soon as I get home tonight - as it might help with my passenger issue below.

Reason i bring the passenger issue up is my wife can no longer get on comfortably with my wide HB Gobi bags on the bike and that issue maybe have me looking for other bikes [would kill me - paid for and farkled to max and I like it!] if I cannot figure a way for us to both mount.

This foot over seat thing might work as recently in our visit to Amotosport (owner husband and wife) told me she gets on back first with bike on sidestand and he said he then steps on left footpeg and climbs over sort of like ladder stepping. I don't think I am flexbile enough to do that and sort of wonder about all that weight on the sidestand (wife on and me using footpeg as ladder).

This grabbing the foot and pulling it up as in pics I hope can work for me (see if I can do it with her on). Without that I was thinking of trying to make the back footpeg longer as she tells me that the width of the Gobis is a main thing for her (she used to swing over with some effort but this year - no dice).

Getting old is not all that its cracked up to be:headbang:

·
Registered
188 Posts
This is something that someone here told me recently, I don't remember who it was though. I am going to try this myself.

Get on the bike, both feet down, and signal when you are ready. Then she steps on the left rider peg and swings her leg over to the right passenger peg. Then she slides all the way back onto the seat and moves her left foot back.

On solid level ground, I let her get on first and just do a front kick over the seat and slide on, then I pull the bike off the sidestand. On ground that is not level, it can be difficult to lean far enough to the right to get the kickstand up. I always try to hold the left bar end while she is mounting, to steady the bike.

Yes its tall, especially with the full Russell seat, but it sure is nice up there when we are riding. :thumbup:

·
Registered
45 Posts
You can do this since I can. (I'm 72, maybe a little more limber now with a couple of new knees.) With bike on side stand, stand about one pace away from bike holding on to left grip with left hand. Lift right foot and set it on the seat. (toes up) If you're a little stiff, assist foot by lifting right pantsleg with right hand. (Won't work if you're wearing shorts!)
You won't fall into the bike knocking it over because you're leaning a little back as you raise your foot and stabilizing yourself with left hand on the grip pulling cycle toward you a bit. Now slide your foot on the seat toward the right side of the bike, it won't go far, perhaps to your calf, because your left foot is planted a ways away from the bike, but now you can reach the right grip with your right hand... both hands on the handlebars, nice and stable. Give a little sideways hop with your left foot sliding your leg across the seat the rest of the way and towards terra-firma. As your crotch hits the seat, let it lift the bike from the side stand so you can reach the ground with your right foot. (Be sure before you start that there's not a hole there where your right foot will land!) Now you will be sitting on the seat, both feet firmly planted on the ground and you're all ready to forget to retract the side stand and stall the motor as you shift into gear! It would be very difficult to lift a leg over the 112 liter box that occupies the passenger seat position on my bike. (See picture.) Sorry for the long post, it's easier done than said!

·
Registered
188 Posts
See, you can do it! This guy is 72 and can mount his bike with a mailbox on the back. And he can play frisbee with that stand puck he has there. :yesnod:

·
Registered
413 Posts
I find it helps if you pull your right pant leg up a little too. It helps keep the pants from binding when you bend your knee.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I can't really help, as I'm 6'3". With my camping gear on the bike, which takes up the back seat area, it's a bit of an ordeal, even for me. I'm 62, and luckily still quite limber.

Seeing as Monty-Python has been referred to, have a look at the Silly Walk (per the Ministry). This is the straight forward kick I use to get my leg over. I have yet to knock my bike over.

Marc

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
If there is anything on the rear seat, I can't get on the bike. Period.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I step up onto the left foot peg and then swing my right foot over. I do just the opposit when dismounting. Before doing so, I make sure the bike is on a good footing as not to knock it off the stand. It is best done with the engine off and the bike in gear.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I step up onto the left foot peg and then swing my right foot over. I do just the opposit when dismounting. Before doing so, I make sure the bike is on a good footing as not to knock it off the stand. It is best done with the engine off and the bike in gear.
Grab the front brake too.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
The pictures posted by DougInKy show exactly how I get on. I really wasn't sure, so I had to go try it, and sure enough, that could be me in those pics.

I must confess that on at least one occasion, I didn't get my right foot high enough, and near kicked the bike over.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Mounting and dismounting a luggaged-up Strom

Not too sure about that grammar but you get the idea.

I've used all of the above with varying success but have now developed the following procedure when I have luggage on the pillion seat and have to sit in a little valley.

Standing beside the bike, facing AWAY from the bike, I bend forward with my hands on my slightly bended knees, and lift my lower right leg so as my heel touches my butt. I then reach my leg backwards and place the toe of my boot onto the riders seat. I then slide my boot over to the opposite side of the bike as I hop, shuffle or skip my left leg. As I'm doing this I swivel my body to face the front and I hold the L.H.S. grip with my left hand and balance with my right hand on the rear luggage.

With a little practice I found this to be helpful ,maybe it can help you too.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts