StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lurking for a while and am graduating from an SV to a V-strom on Monday :D My wife and I drove out to Ohio for the weekend. Saw the Motorcycle Hall of Fame and some great bike shops. We are getting the bike on the way back to Chicago. Thanks to everyone here for helping me make a decision!

Larry

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was finally able to get some miles put on today. All I can say is WOW :D ! All the reviews were right on. What a comfortable all around great bike. I am coming from an SV which is a great bike as well. My new Strom is going to hinder me from getting any work done this summer. Going to have to start planning some trips now. I really like the new gauges. The adjustable windshield seems to work well. Thanks to everyone here for helping me make a great decision!

Larry

·
Registered
244 Posts
does the '04 come stock with the center-stand...?

what else is new and improved...?

al

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No center stand :(
It now has hazard flashers and a flash to pass feature.
The new windshield seems to work very well. Of course I am coming from a naked SV, however it does seem better then my wifes 03 Bandit.

Larry

G

·
0 Posts
Hazard Flashers

I expect these will be on the left-side thumb as they are in Europe. British bikes have to have these, and that's where they are on my '02 Strom.

S

·
0 Posts
hazzard flashers

hazzard flashers are located on the left side on a slide switch next to the hand grip. I managed to put them on with a cop behind me on my demo ride.

SSMV650

·
Registered
244 Posts
congrats and i am sure this is gonna be an awsome machine for you.

but no centerstand? major bummer... becasue any sport 'touring' bike with a chain ABSOLUTELY MUST have a center stand... not an option. so i ask... what does this add-on cost?

rmx250 said:
No center stand :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Retail is $160 for the centerstand. I had the factory stand put on my DL 1000 before I picked it up last month. It seems to be well built.

vstro44

·
Registered
244 Posts
reasonable... i wonder why they don't just add it to the bike as stock equipment and up the price.

al

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't know yet. Probably just like my SV. I made a brace that allowed me to use my bike jack.

T

·
0 Posts
s boy said:
but no centerstand? major bummer... becasue any sport 'touring' bike with a chain ABSOLUTELY MUST have a center stand...
quote]

Why? I've travelled tens of thousands of miles on chain drive bikes without a centerstand. As long as you have some method in your garage to raise the bike....why carry it around with you?
THE single most over-rated feature/accessory imho.

P

·
0 Posts
texbridge said:
Why? I've travelled tens of thousands of miles on chain drive bikes without a centerstand. As long as you have some method in your garage to raise the bike....why carry it around with you?
THE single most over-rated feature/accessory imho.
I disagree. The key word is "Touring". If you are hundreds of miles away from home and need to lube or adjust the chain, or fix a flat, that device back home in your garage is not going to help.

T

·
0 Posts
Pauljo said:
texbridge said:
I disagree. The key word is "Touring". If you are hundreds of miles away from home and need to lube or adjust the chain, or fix a flat, that device back home in your garage is not going to help.
I'm........not sure I understand. I'm aware he was referring to "Touring", whatever that is. But you don't need the device in the garage to do either of those tasks. Lubing the chain -- well, I actually find it easier without a centerstand. And there's always the Scottoiler, etc. All of the flat repair kits can be used perfectly well with the wheel on the ground. I've done it many times "hundreds of miles away from home". Believe me, having the ability to raise/remove the wheels won't do you anything on the V-Strom's tires lol!
Anyway, my original quibble was with the guy's wording ["ABSOLUTELY MUST" etc]. I once crashed a bike because the centerstand hit the ground while I was leaned over.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts