StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So looking at pictures today I realized that if I try to use my motorcycle jack on this thing I'm going to destroy my exhaust.

What's the best way to get the bike off the ground for wrenching, oil changes, and winter storage?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
This is kinda tricky. I've used a floor jack on the motor behind the oil filter but the bike is front heavy so it's tipsy.

A front wheel stand that goes under the steering head or straps from the rafters in the ceiling seems to be the shadetree way. I'm open for ideas too!

I have a LP rear stand and it works great for rear wheel maintenance.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Table lift with a ride in front wheel chock.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
D.T., how stable is that thing? It looks good for light rear wheel maintenance but I can't say I'd trust it for anything serious.

Greywolf, only if you convince my wife she needs to not park in the garage anymore ;)

Are the skidplates substantial enough to jack the bike up on? I know they're designed to be tough but somehow in my mind impacts and supporting the entire weight of the bike are different. Maybe I'm wrong.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yann states on is website that you can jack the bike up with his skid plates.

enduro guardian,skid plate, bash plate,radiator guard,lift kit,protection,yann

But if you needed the skid plate or crash bars off for whatever you were working on, that would cancel that.

I use a rear stand that lifts by the spools, I'd imagine adding a similar front stand would be great for getting the whole bike off the ground and the wheels free.

You can both at Cycle Gear for less than $100.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Skidplates are fine for jacking the front end off of the ground. It is best to have a centerstand too.

B.L.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have yanns skid plate and raise it off the ground with my motorcycle jack......works for me...TD

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
GW, what is your procedure for securing bike both in the chock and onto the centerstand, since deploying the centerstand moves the bike rearward?
The chock rocks back when the bike is put on the centerstand. Otherwise, the chock alone can hold the bike upright. It kinda rocky for working on it in that position though unless tie downs are added.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
It doesn't need to be off the ground for winter. Pump the tires up to the full pressure shown on the sidewalls (for storage, not for riding), fill the tank with gas plus Sta-Bil, change the oil, plug in your battery trickle charger, and the bike is good 'til Spring.

You can knock together some 2x4s to make a front wheel chock that'll hold it upright, or buy one from Harbor Junk or elsewhere. Or get a front wheel paddock stand that has the pin that engages the steering stem (I think it fits...can anyone confirm?). You can get the rear wheel off the ground for lubing the chain by cutting a piece of wood the right length to put under the right-side axle nut to get the wheel up, or get a center stand or a rear wheel paddock stand. If you have a center stand, the lower exhaust pipe will support the bike with a jack under the pipe (and that's what most of the so-called skid plates will flex against, anyway).

I always strap my centerstand forward when working on the bike so it can't collapse if I push forward when cranking hard on a stuck bolt. A couple of preventer ropes to garage ceiling joists are smart to keep the bike from tipping over in a mishap.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Raising the Wee

I use a "Liftrack". The last 18" or so detach if you want to do wheel work which is pretty handy. Haven't had the need to raise the Wee yet as I've only needed to do chain maintenance on the center stand so far. I like the lift rack since you wheel the bike onto it at floor level and strap it down to the spreader bar in front. No falling off onto the floor while trying to get it up on a raised ramp (a friend of mine dropped 2 that way, causing thousands in damage). Also, when I'm not using it, it stands on end against the wall in my garage saving valuable space. Unfortunately, they're no longer made, but a solid product!

Last 18" detached for wheel work:

Full rack supporting both wheels:

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
I'm fortunate enough to have a well equipped shop.
Yes you do!

The FIRST thing that caught my eye in your first photograph was, the torch-set setting next to the wall! A torch-set is the perfect tool for working on your V-Strom!

See?

Of course, a Sawzall is a handy tool, to have in your tool crib, for removing large chunks of metal.

As is a hacksaw as well. They are nice to have on hand for finer detailing of pieces of metal that are associated with your V-Strom.

I guess a decent lift would be good too...... But, not as top of a priority as the torch-set though!

:biggrinjester:

B.L.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts