StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
13,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a lot at night so headlight aim is important to me. I've always been very anal about making sure my headlights are adjusted properly so that I don't blind oncoming drivers - I hate it when I get blinded. I also constantly check to make sure the cutoff line of my low beam is at the appropriate level.

Even though everything is set right I swear I am getting people flashing high beams at me as if I have my highs on much more often than I did on my previous (two headlight) stroms. I'm not talking about cresting hills or accelerating or being loaded so that the lights are actually aiming too high...but just riding along secondary highways at constant speed on the level. I seat that I almost daily get zapped by someone. This seems more common now in the dark of Winter. Last night on the way home I swear I got zapped three times in just an hour of riding.

Is this just a run of bad luck on my side or have any of you experienced the same thing on our 2014+ DL1000?

..Tom

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts
Are the drivers looking through the steering wheel in a very low car? It might be an indication of changing dynamics in your city. ;)

·
Administrator
13,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are the drivers looking through the steering wheel in a very low car? It might be an indication of changing dynamics in your city. ;)
I think it's always on secondary highways that are unlit, not in town. I don't think the people you are alluding to are aware their cars have hi/low beam switches in any event.

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Put a set of farking big spots on......and flash 'em back! They soon dip.....:wink2:
They dip as soon as I flash the high back at them... I'm just wondering why people are thinking I have the high beam on in the first place.

..Tom

·
Registered
15,612 Posts
My 04 Wee is the opposite. My low beams barely light up the roadway ahead. I need to find the adjuster and give it a whack. The damper screws are at about mid point.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I've never had anyone do it to me, and i've never even adjusted mine they are still at the factory setting. Never really felt the need to be honest.. The dealer got them right :)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Still at factory settings and rarely ride at night. I tend to run my high beam while in town, not to annoy, but to be seen. I have yet to be flashed on hi during day or even dusk. You're getting a lot of feedback from oncoming drivers - it's either a conspiracy or you need to adjust! :nerd:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Maybe check that the bulbs are seated correctly. I hurriedly changed the bulbs on my Subaru once and a low beam bulb didn't seat properly and was blinding other drivers. Wasn't til the wife asked me why other vehicles were flashing her at night on low beam that I found the problem :smile2:

·
Administrator
13,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe check that the bulbs are seated correctly. I hurriedly changed the bulbs on my Subaru once and a low beam bulb didn't seat properly and was blinding other drivers. Wasn't til the wife asked me why other vehicles were flashing her at night on low beam that I found the problem :smile2:
I will double check the bulb as I did replace the low a while back (first ever headlight bulb I had burn out in a Strom in well over 200,000 miles) but I'm pretty sure it is seated correctly as I can see that the beam is aimed correctly (actually slightly low if anything.)

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used to think that sometimes, then I realized it was winter and it was just frost heaves bouncing the vehicles up and down
No that I see lots of that and can tell what it is. In many cases I can see the separate high beam lights going on.

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My 04 Wee is the opposite. My low beams barely light up the roadway ahead. I need to find the adjuster and give it a whack. The damper screws are at about mid point.
When you adjust them do one side (put a mask over the other or disconnect the other), at a piece of cardboard and make a horizontal line with a marker at the cutoff point and repeat for the other. If you make them point at the same work much better and on top of that you can easily adjust them at the roadside while fine tuning them.

..Tom

·
Registered
15,612 Posts
On the road side? Seems like getting a screwdriver in there is a PITA.
any links to the dumb head adjustment of head lights?
I really should invest in the EB wiring harness!

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
When my car winshield gets dirty on the inside I get that high beam effect from oncoming drivers,that,s usually my first indication it needs cleaning.

·
Administrator
6,386 Posts
Could it be headlight scatter? Sometimes some headlight reflectors, especially with stronger or different bulbs will send light everywhere.
To check point your bike an unlit wall at night and see if your hand casts a shadow above the low beam cutout line.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The V2 has an excellent low beam. I get flashed too and I return it with a quick blip. Can't do much else but my High beam is a lot meaner with my spot lights.

·
Administrator
13,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
On the road side? Seems like getting a screwdriver in there is a PITA.
any links to the dumb head adjustment of head lights?
I really should invest in the EB wiring harness!
This was on the 2006 DL650. I would bring a small socket wrench along with (I think it was) an 8mm socket. I might have had a short extension on it.

I would ride down back roads at night and see where the cutoff was at about 55 mph and if it neeed to be adjusted it just took a few seconds to turn the adjusting bolts the same amount.

It wasn't something I needed to do often. Perhaps only two or three times.

..Tom

1 - 20 of 26 Posts