StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last summer I got a consistent 53 mpg with my '11 Wee - and was quite satisfied with that.
The last month or so, closing in on 30k miles, I'm averaging 57 mpg. I'm calculating full tank to full tank every time.
I've been keeping the tire pressure up to 40/36 front. The rear is over half worn currently. I have stock gearing.
I've also been inadvertently using the lower end of the power curve. Whereas last year I'd cruise at between 4,500 and 5k rpms, I'm finding plenty of power at 4 - 4,500 rpms, rolled on progressively, and of course less in the lower gears. So I'm using 5th and 6th earlier and more frequently. I haven't been trying to save fuel either. I just hadn't realized there was power there before. True, its a tad more "relaxed" there, but unless I'm accelerating out of twistiess, I feel no need to run at higher rpms.
The other thing I did was add about 5 ounces of Chevron Techronic injector cleaner in a few tankfuls. Maybe it was a coincidence that mileage started improving then (and, yes, I did calculated the additional fuel it provided)
Lastly, I used Mobil 1 last oil change (for info: I doubt it had any affect)....
Likely, they were all contributing factors but I'm very happy to be getting the upper end of 50's mpg. :hurray:
Just another reason to feel the love!:yesnod:

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
...I've been keeping the tire pressure up to 40/36 front...
I'm thinking this is very important. I saw a jump of ~5 MPG tank-to-tank just by inflating the tires to the high end of spec vs low (or slightly too low). My last tank, based on gages, was 57.95 MPG. Tires well inflated. Riding similar to the way you describe. I'm trying to remember to check inflation (and oil the chain) at each fuel-up.

·
Administrator
13,818 Posts
It's pretty much impossible to base things on one or two tanks of gas.

For what it's worth. over 310,000 km + of recording the mileage on two V-Stroms my mileage typically varies by 5% from tank to tank and sometimes varies by 10%.

Sped (in particular airspeed) and temperature are the biggest things that affect mileage.

..Tom

·
Registered
349 Posts
If we could get rid of the junk ethanol in our gas we wouldn't have to worry about all that other stuff. Just get the politicians not to make decisions about things they don't know anything about.:headbang:

·
Registered
779 Posts
I've been using ethanol free (since Racetrack opened with it, nearby) for the last couple of months, and haven't noticed any better mileage (although, I've no doubt it's reducing potential moisture incursion).

That being said, I get mid to high 50's, and I've been hitting it almost identically to sbeadg. I keep it at relatively low rpms, which it seems to like (with the obvious exceptions of passing or spinning out of a corner), been running at 37/39 psi (front/rear), and don't think about trying to economize... seems to do it on its own. Lube the chain religiously ~300 miles, and don't use side bags/cases... just a top case.

Haven't used any additives, however, been on Mobil 1 synthetic since 1,000 miles...

Sooooo...

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I've been using ethanol free (since Racetrack opened with it, nearby) for the last couple of months, and haven't noticed any better mileage...

...been running at 37/39 psi (front/rear)

...Lube the chain religiously ~300 miles...
Same experience here regarding no-ethanol gas. Only difference was more expensive to buy "pure" gas.

Tire pressure & chain lube - about the same here. In response to an earlier poster's comments regarding single-tank MPG, when I run several tanks through the bike over my "same 'ol" commute and get ~53 MPG then do nothing else (noticeably) different other than raise the tire pressure by ~5-7 PSI (rear tire only in this instance - front was OK) and get 58 MPG on the next tank, that's meaningful to me. I hear the argument about single tank (single data point) experience, but there are lots of constants and only one thing changed (in my case), and a sudden 10% bump is very noticeable in my MPG spreadsheet. Makes good sense to me too. Riding on improperly (low) inflated tires seems to me to work the engine harder (I just think of the difference I'd feel if riding a bicycle - lots less effort required if the tires are well inflated).

I'm beginning to believe that, for my Wee, I really need to pay attention to three things:

• Regular oil & oil filter changes
  • Regular (every fuel fill-up) oil lubrication of chain
  • Tire pressure check (usually means inflation) at each fuel fill-up
The Wee seems happy at that. Should be good engine life, good (and dependable) chain life, good tire life and good MPG. Seems like a simple-enough list to me.

·
Administrator
13,818 Posts
I know that everyone's riding is different. A lot of my riding is commuting. I fill up at the same gas station and normally the same pump and generally do the same route to work and back. Here is the difference in fuel mileage between tanks over 108,729 km or about 67,400 miles of riding on my 2012. My 2006 DL650 saw pretty much the same kind of variation.

It is very rare for me to have the exact same fuel mileage on two tanks back to back.

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,818 Posts
If anyone cares here is a graph showing the fuel mileage over 351 tank filling on my 2012 DL650.

The mileage is in imperial miles peer gallon, Mileage in US gallons would be 80% of what I show. The yellow line is the average of the last 5 fill ups. The time frame is from March 12, 2012 to August 27, 2104. I have spent $6,455.04 (Canadian $) on fuel. I will be filing up again tonight or tomorrow.

..Tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow! You guys with the graphs amaze me. I do the math in my head at the gas pump. If the mileage isn't +/- 10% I put some thought into it. +10% side--I am happy. -10%--I think back as to why. It is never a mystery why the change in mileage.

·
Administrator
13,818 Posts
Just a hobby for me.. Appeals to the nerdy side of me.

There is another side.. I ride so much that sometimes I really need to know ahead how far a tank is going to take me as I don't want to run out of gas in the middle of nowhere. And gas string north of me are often few and far between and closed in the evening. Knowing that in cold weather I might get les than 350 km range vs 400+km can mean the difference between gassing at a station or a long walk in the cold.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
7,203 Posts
Wow, way too much work. I commute so my Wee usually spends it's time at or above 6K RPMs and I fill up when the odometer approaches or hits 200 miles. I've been right around 50 MPG (200 miles, add 4.0 gallons). Perhaps this is why I get better mileage on canyon runs with friends than commuting, I'm usually running lower RPMs.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The average from new on my 2005 650 is 62.5 MPG (imp) or 4.5 L/100km.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Last camping trip I went on, I averaged around 65mpg for the 3 fill ups I did over the 800 miles.

I weigh 150lbs, but the bike had me, the dog, and probably 40lbs of camping gear for a whopping 200lbs or so.

I think it helps that I run a steeper gearing ratio than stock; it keeps the revs low.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts