StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How difficult is it? I'm 5'8" and weigh 160. I just purchased my 2012 and don't have a centerstand on it yet. I was standing next to it, holding it straight up and I it seemed like I would never be able to pull it up onto a centerstand without dropping it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
While I have a '09 Wee I think you'll find it's pretty easy to do. Just lower the center stand to the ground so that it has the two points of contact, push down on it with your foot and gently pull up on the bike grabbing the left handle bar and rear rack "grab bar" beside the seat. This is one of the easiest bikes I've had for using a center stand...:beatnik:

·
Registered
201 Posts
How difficult is it? I'm 5'8" and weigh 160. I just purchased my 2012 and don't have a centerstand on it yet. I was standing next to it, holding it straight up and I it seemed like I would never be able to pull it up onto a centerstand without dropping it.
I have to ask... you are guessing it's going to be difficult because you stood the bike up and tried to lift it up in the air? Is that how you determined it was going to be difficult?

Like Buzzzer said, the key thing to getting any bike on a center stand is to get both of the 'feet' things on the ground, so the bike has to be straight up. then just stand on the foot peg thing part of the stand and hold the grab rail thing at the same time. It will go right up, no worries.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Just remember, putting ANY bike onto it's centerstand isn't about "lifting", it's about stepping DOWN on the stand and levering it up onto it. Stand next to your bike, hold down the stand till it touches, let it move a little to the right to be sure that both feet are touching the ground then step and press down FIRMLY as you gently roll & lift towards the rear and it will hop right up. My 125 pound GF can put my Vee onto the stand so with 160 behind it, you won't have any problem....it's all about technique, not strength or weight!

jeff

·
Registered
113 Posts
Getting the bike onto the stand seems to have been well-covered. Just remember to take caution when removing the bike from the stand. If I'm out on a ride, I'll rock the bike forward and ride off without putting a foot on the ground. Or if I'm in the garage or expecting 2-up company, I'll stand at the left of the bike and hold the rear grab handle and push it forward while leaning the bike slightly towards me. The further it leans away from you, the harder it is to keep it upright :fineprint:

Also, if you're on a slippery surface like a garage or tile floor, sometimes the center stand will slide endlessly. The trick there is to put your foot against the stand to help it not want to move forward but instead be used as a pivot for the bike. Have fun, keep the shiny side up :yesnod:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just felt a bit shakey standing next to the bike and holding it upright. It's a scary feeling when it wants to go away from you. Seems the centerstand is pretty much a necessity. Thanks to all for the advice.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It's all about technique, which has been well covered. Once you have it installed, spend a few minutes putting the bike on the stand and off, perhaps with someone on the right side of the bike as insurance until you get the hand of it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I just felt a bit shakey standing next to the bike and holding it upright. It's a scary feeling when it wants to go away from you. Seems the centerstand is pretty much a necessity. Thanks to all for the advice.
Yes it is a scary feeling, yer not alone in that regard at all... I don't like it either.

But, the stability thing takes place when yer straightening the bike up and pressing down with your foot on the 'foot part' of the center stand. You will feel the outer foot thing (the one away from you) touch down when the bike is straight up.

now when you put your weight on that foot thing... up it goes.

it's that simple.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The SW Motech stand is easier than the Suzuki one, but neither one is difficult by any means.

Like it has been stated here so many times, it's all about technique.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
This is one of those often ask questions. There is a lot of repetition as evidenced by just three examples I found quickly.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-strom-discussion/64887-center-stand-lowered-dl.html
http://www.stromtrooper.com/v-strom-modifications-performance/1987-using-center-stand-whats-your-technique.html
http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-strom-discussion/8558-centerstand-technique.html

In the "picture is worth a thousand words" spirit, video has many pictures per second so speaks volumes. It's fine to leave the side stand down on a V-Strom while putting it on the center stand though. Having the option of setting it back on the side stand in case of difficulty may be comforting.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Lots of ways to mentally visualize the action. The one that worked best for me at the beginning was to get hold of the bike, right foot on the centerstand lever, then just stand up straight with an up & back motion to the bike. If it doesn't work, it is because you weren't smooth enough.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thanks for wall the replies! I have tried again and without the 1 in" board under the rear tire it is impossible!! I believe the lowering link has something to do with it. Without the board, the lowered bike kickstand hits the ground at a very shallow angle thus it takes a lot more effort. -- or to is only me! I han no problem doing this on my 1,000 lb BMW LT. I will take it by the bike shop and have somebody that has a lot of experience give it a try to see if it is real or only me!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Here's another tip: put it on the side stand first. Dismount, then do the center stand technique as described. After it's on the center stand, put the side stand up...don't forget.

·
Registered
926 Posts
...I have tried again and without the 1 in" board under the rear tire it is impossible!! I believe the lowering link has something to do with it. ...
Yes, lowering links will make it more difficult. In stock form the centre stand actually lifts the bike only a small distance. Lowering links reduce the amount of leverage you have available. Hence, increased effort.

I find weighing 250lbs+ and wearing thick soled boots makes things easier.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Agree c S Dog

I tried lifting it after I installed SWM CS and then asked this forum and got the answer. It was thereafter easy, even uphill. After lowering links installed it is a lot harder because the lever mech advantage is much less. But I just push the stand arm down much harder: it's the first part that is more difficult and once it starts moving back it goes fast and much of the time the front wheel comes up. The key is strength and speed. Also, since lowering links went on the side stand is too long so I now have to be careful about where I park the bike. Most streets here have a pretty good right slope near a curb and I can't park there at all. Sometimes I can get off and deploy Ctr S. but would not leave the bike on the side stand for fear a gust of wind would be enough to knock it over: yes, I learned this the hard way in an Albertsons parking lot after returning to the bike from the store.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Getting a Vee2 onto the centerstand

Has anyone added the factory center stand to their Vee2 and tried getting it up onto it? I added the center stand to my V2, bought the bike and CS in Jan. called to pick it up in early May - they hadn't ordered it, took 2 weeks. Got it home, eventually, wouldn't start when they finally got the CS installed and I went to pick it up, bad kill switch, but that's a story for another time. Went to pull it up onto the stand and I thought I had left it in gear. It appears to be installed correctly but either the mounting is positioned too far forward or the legs are a bit too long, but it is a freakin B..... to rock it up and over the 'hump"
Part of it is that there aren't any good grab points that will give my 6' 4" 250lb frame any purchase.
Anybody else have this problem? I'm currently running the back tire up on some wood and using a tie down loop on the frame to get it done. But that's going to be hard on the road.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I know center stands are popular but I've never had one, use a rear stand (we call it a paddock stand) for most jobs. Only problem I've had was replacing the rear shock, that took a level of ingenuity.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Yes it is a scary feeling, yer not alone in that regard at all... I don't like it either.

But, the stability thing takes place when yer straightening the bike up and pressing down with your foot on the 'foot part' of the center stand. You will feel the outer foot thing (the one away from you) touch down when the bike is straight up.

now when you put your weight on that foot thing... up it goes.

it's that simple.
It IS that simple. Even my old 900-lb Goldwing 1500 popped up onto the centerstand with this technique.

I did not then, and do not now, understand the physics of this.:confused5:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts