StromTrooper banner

Getting a new 2014 Wee Strom 650 next week

4K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  FredBGG 
#1 ·
Excited to be getting a new 650 this week. :hurray:
I am getting OEM engine guards but not much else. I plan on adding the steel skid plate from endourguard after I do the first few oil changes (before I go off road obv!).
Any other required additions?
Was planning on adding an after market center stand - or should I let the dealer add an OEM one?
I also need a waterproof case and mount for my Samsung S4 - any hints along those lines would be great.

Thanks in advance!!!

#4 ·
My engine guards saved me right off the bat. Best investment by far. I haven't dropped a bike in 25 years but trust me you probably will. Oil is a touchy subject here. Better to use the google search function. That is pretty much a bulletproof motor. I would just use Suzuki oil or equivalent myself. You are going to love this bike. I have owned several since I have owned my first Vstrom and have sold them. I wouldn't trade my V for all of the other ones I have owned if I could only have one.

#5 ·
Centerstand is key - makes it easy to lube chain very regularly which makes it feel brand new all the time and last a long time. If you are planning long distance or just day rides - that will influence what you want to do. I am a big safety fan so I would mount front lights on the lower fork and a back-off modulator for the brake light - both help you be seen better. Check out Eastern Beaver for ready made wiring for our Strom electrical mods. Saddle, handlebar and windshield are key for riding comfort long distance....sometimes even short distance!

Your dealer is right about the oil if you change it at the right mileage intervals. Synthetic is better for long mileage intervals - there is a giant oil sticky with tons of opinions on that one! Use the google search box top center to find tons of information on anything Strom. Good Luck!

#6 ·
#7 ·
price on 2014

Did you get a good price on the 2014? I am in suburban Chicago and was quoted an out the door price of approximately 8482.00. There is 500 dollars off from Suzuki and a discount from the dealer and then all the stuff that gets added back on. The tax,document fee, delivery fee,and registration fee.They wave the set-up fee.

#8 ·
2014 WEE

Did you get a good price on the 2014? I am in suburban Chicago and was quoted an out the door price of approximately 8482.00. There is 500 dollars off from Suzuki and a discount from the dealer and then all the stuff that gets added back on. The tax,document fee, delivery fee,and registration fee.They wave the set-up fee.
The two best deals I found was $7200 for a 2013 and $7400 for a 2014 OTD. I took the 2014. For ADV models I for a 2014 Wee for $8800 OTD, It is still in there, I saw it this week. To be honest the AVD model would have been a little cheaper after I upgrade mine, like a few bucks but I have enjoyed adding my own stuff.

#9 ·
I'm new here (just got a new 2013 this past September), so take this with a grain of salt;

Excited to be getting a new 650 this week. :hurray:
Congrats and enjoy!

I am getting OEM engine guards but not much else. I plan on adding the steel skid plate from endourguard after I do the first few oil changes (before I go off road obv!).
Any other required additions?
Was planning on adding an after market center stand - or should I let the dealer add an OEM one?
My Suzuki dealer threw in the OEM stand with the deal. Looks good and, from what I've read, is a decent stand.

Prior to the purchase, I had asked the parts manager about the OEM engine guard; he strongly recommended GIVI (the other brand he carried), as they had a number of customer complaints about vibration issues with OEM guards - I'm not sure whether or not they've updated the guards since then.

For whatever little it's worth, my temptation would be to try to have the dealer switch the OEM engine guards for their OEM centre stand...

Having compared after market guards, I ended up getting the SW Motech guards (for only a few bucks more than the GIVI). There are better on the market but, for me, this was a good compromise.

Lastly, make sure whatever extras you choose now, will adapt to anything else you're intending on putting on your bike in the future.

Best of luck and enjoy your bike!

#10 ·
Woot!!! :thumbup: Congrats on your purchase and best of luck. :mod2_clap:

#11 · (Edited)
I'll echo what several have said here already... the centerstand is one of the best options you can add to your new DL650. It makes chain maintenance a breeze, also makes it easy to keep the rear rim clean. Also makes it easy to give the rear tire a quick check for any nails/road debris that it could pick up.

I purchased the SW-Motech centerstand and it was somewhat of a pain in the rear to install. Check the dealer's quote to see how much they want to add the OEM stand. Unless they are over $300, I would consider that worth the money instead of installing one yourself.

Here's my top three list of improvements:

1) Centerstand - chain maintenance.
2) Madstadt bracket and windscreen - allows you to customize the airflow on the bike.
3) Skid plate and engine guards - protection against the inevitable fall over.

#13 ·
Thanks for all the great feedback - going to sit back and read the big oil thread...

I will ask the dealer about the center stand - I think if that is really difficult to install - may have dealer do it. Once that is done - I think it will make it much easier for me to work on it without worrying about knocking it over.

Angie-Darrell - Thanks for the link to the oil thread - and the Ram mount. I need to get a waterproof case for my S4 too - I want to have it mounted for navigation. Also - I will look into the grip guards - especially as it is still pretty cold here in Richmond.

#14 ·
You probably are much more likely to drop it after you first buy it. That's what happened to me; I rode it home from the dealer without incident, but on the first time out of my garage, I dropped it in my driveway. Factory guards plus factory panniers took a minor scuff, but that's all the damage I suffered (that plus my bruised ego). The good thing about dropping it was that I learned I can pick it up by myself.

Regarding other desirable farkles, I didn't see anyone mention anything about the seat yet. I went the cheap route with an Air Hawk, but if I had more budget, a custom seat would be nice.

#16 ·
coderiver!

Congratulations on your new bike! This machine is so under appreciated by the motojournalists out there but those of us who 'ignored' them and bought a DL 650 just smile and shake our heads. You have one heckuva moto coming!

To answer your question.... yes, the center stand is probably the most important add-on you can have...I had one 'thrown into' the deal when I bought my bike last April, it's a Suzuki center stand, and it came in a week later and I installed it myself in about an hour. Pretty easy, really..but did have a neighbor come by when it came time to 'mount' the springs. Having a spare set of hands helped out.

I'd also recommend brush/knuckle guards too. Helps keep hands warm and dry. I also opted for the OEM ones because they had them in stock. No complaints.

My wife surprised me this Christmas with electric grips..and although the install was a PITA because you have to take off your gas tank to do it, I thank her every day for them in this cold weather. Put those on your wish list for later on.

Two other add-ons I've added are off road foot pegs, made by Fastway. A little pricey, but they come with both 10mm and 12 mm 'studs' so you can customize the heights of them for max comfort and utility. Made here in the US, with excellent customer service backing them up. The OEM foot pegs pretty much suck, and these are so solid it's like standing on granite. They are also large enough to allow you to move your feet around in several positions to maintain comfort. Put these on your wish list too. :) I have the Evolution 3's, in 'silver'. Look great and feel even better! http://www.promotobillet.com/p-18295-footpegs.html

There is hardly any storage on this bike so a tank bag is probably in your future too. I opted for the Givi 15 liter tank lock system. Best tank bag I have ever owned, period. (And I have owned a LOT of tank bags-strapped, magnetic, etc). I opted for the smaller of the three offered because 1) you will NOT honk your horn when you move the handlebars to the far left. 2) Most folks opt for larger bags but a) if you have the room, you DO throw in a lot of stuff you do not NEED, hence, increasing your top-weight. Stay a little smaller, your bike won't weigh as much and you are not hauling around a bunch of junk you probably don't or won't ever use. :) http://www.giviusa.com/givi-products/soft-luggage/tanklock-system/xs307-15ltr-tankbag-detail

And if a top box is in your future, the Bestem is a very good deal...around 44 liters, around $88.00 delivered, and pretty easy to install. Plus, it is VERY easy to take off....and mine is off more than it is on..... I just prefer being lighter and not having stuff rattle around in the box behind me. Again, YMMV... but a very good box for the money.

I am still trying to find the best crash guards...and haven't figured that one out yet. Still considering it..... but it's on the back burner for now. Too many threads about vibrations, harmonic 'humming", etc.... steered me clear of them, at least for now. Same with the engine guard...lots of choices out there.... but personally, I haven't fond the "right" one yet....and since I only do dirt or gravel roads only occasionally (and no stumpy trails, etc) I don't worry much about something clobbering the oil filter or exhaust pipe.

As for oil....that is a can of worms with a huge amount of posts and opinions....but I did convert over to Motul full synthetic oil at about 2400 miles at the urging of my favorite independent motorcycle shop that specializes in V-Stroms (both for the serious enthusiasts AND serious racers). They have extensive experience with these engines and trannies and strongly recommended synth oil. Plus, it will also make a very smooth transmission shift even better after a couple of hundred miles. Plus, if most of your riding is on pavement where there isn't much crud, you can go a long time between oil changes.

Enjoy the motorcycle you have coming. It is one of the best on the planet for what it is. I promise you that you will have a smile on your face every time you go out on it. Of all the bikes I have owned, and with just a hair over 400K on two wheels, this bike ranks right up there with the best I have ever, ever owned.

Cheers!

Enjoy that new ride! :mrgreen:

Pat

#18 ·

Enjoy the motorcycle you have coming. It is one of the best on the planet for what it is. I promise you that you will have a smile on your face every time you go out on it. Of all the bikes I have owned, and with just a hair over 400K on two wheels, this bike ranks right up there with the best I have ever, ever owned.

Cheers!

Enjoy that new ride! :mrgreen:

Pat
Thanks Pat for the feedback - I am looking at the foot pegs and tank bag now. I have a smile on my face right now! Wait until I get on it!

Thanks!

#17 · (Edited)
Congrats on the new bike; you will love it....
I love my OEM centerstand. The only hard part about installing it is pulling back the double spring.
I have the SW-Motech crash bars from Twisted Throttle. No vibration issues and they look good.
I highly recommend Barkbuster Storm handguards, also from Twisted Throttle. They look really good, and I love how they protect my hands.
Mounted the Engage tank bag (Twisted Throttle again). Easy to mount, stays out of the way, big enough to hold registration, sunglasses, wallet, etc.
One tip... keep the tire pressures exactly as recommended on the swingarm. If they get only 4-5 psi low, the bike handles like a pig.

#23 ·
HokiesRWee:

I'm not sure whether the Bestem 44 liter box will hold TWO full face helmets or not. It easily swallows one. I'll try to dig my wife's old full face helmet out of the closet tomorrow morning and check it out for you. (I usually just carry my helmet with me, no matter where I go...but that's just me). Used it as a 'weapon' years ago to keep from getting mugged...that old Shoei clocked that dude so hard it took him over an hour to gain consciousness, then he went to jail)[Well, hospital first, then jail]. :)

I'm pretty sure the mounting plate came with it but I did spend another 20.00 bucks to get the lower liner for it. It takes up just a small amount of room but from other Bestem owners who use them they say it helps keep the internal screws from scratching their helmets when they store them inside. It also helps keep stuff from shifting around in there while you ride too. Well worth the 20 bux.

Just an aside, the Givi case is a much nicer case overall...a little heavier, a little 'classier' looking... but more than $200.00 more too...so I decided to go with something a little lighter (read that not as heavy duty)-because this case is not going to see what I would consider heavy duty use.... light to moderate only, and it stays inside my garage about as much as it stays on the bike. I use a heavy duty 6 point (or 8 point?) cargo net for small purchases (a couple bottles of wine, books, fresh veggies from a roadside stand, etc) and only use it when I know I'll need it during the day.

Hope this helps! :)

I see you are in SW Virginia....tons of nice roads up there! :mrgreen:

Cheers!

Pat

#24 ·
HokiesRWee:

I'm not sure whether the Bestem 44 liter box will hold TWO full face helmets or not. It easily swallows one. I'll try to dig my wife's old full face helmet out of the closet tomorrow morning and check it out for you....

Hope this helps! :)

I see you are in SW Virginia....tons of nice roads up there! :mrgreen:

Cheers!

Pat
Thanks a bunch Pat. Yeah, I normally only have my helmet with me too (leave it in my beat-up OEM top case at work) but sometimes my wife rides with me during nice weather and would be nice to be able to lock both helmets in the case.

Yeah, SW VA's a good place to ride, but I'm seeing and learning there are many others.

I noticed on a motorcycle sales site today that the lowest priced Wee2s in our region are in your neck of the woods - the Atlanta area. Though I like my '07 just fine I just can't keep from looking...

Thanks again.

#27 ·
Had my DL650 for almost two weeks now. After 8 or 9 other bikes in my ancient past, I can say that the wee is the most fun and versatile motorbike I have ever owned, or even ridden. Enjoy your new ride...

#28 ·
Hokies.....

Here's a pic of my Shoei RF1200 inside the trunk. I didn't even go search for my wives' lid...I can tell right now this is a one-helmet box. Now if you wear Tupperware bowl helmets (aka a ton of cruiser drivers) then the ten dollar DOT(sarc) bowls should fit. :mrgreen:

There is another solution if you do not want to carry your helmets with you. The helmet locks on the DL650 are pretty lame. BUTT.....there is a member here who produces some very nice coated cables of different lengths and colors at VERY affordable prices. He's great to deal with too.... I strongly recommend what he has. They take up virtually NO room in your tank bag or trunk, are solidly built right in the US (I think it is LA) [Lower Alabama?] ;-)

His name is Mark and you can find his stuff right here.....

Moto-Kafe

His cables work extremely well, and not just for helmets. One holds my AeroStich RoadCrafter securely when I don't want to wear it into a store, restaurant, etc. Check Mark's stuff out.

Cheers!

Pat

One more thing.....

I strongly suggest you go to Home :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear and order one of their catalogs. It'll take a week or so for it to arrive but it is worth the wait. They do have an online catalog but I prefer catalogs that can go to the throne room with you; I prefer 'tactile' to "virtual" and their catalogs have so much 'stuff' in them to consider. Very good stuff, made for riders. (not drivers). :mrgreen:

In the enclosed pic you can see my messenger bag on the right. Historic waxed cotton. Very comfortable if you wear it or toss it in your trunk. It's the mid-size one, and I use it both on and off the bike when forced to take the cage. And the 3M reflective material AeroStich uses is visible at night for almost ever. Their riding suits incorporate that stuff all over. :)

Attachments

#29 ·
Hokies.....

Here's a pic of my Shoei RF1200 inside the trunk. I didn't even go search for my wives' lid...I can tell right now this is a one-helmet box...
Thanks a bunch p_rod for taking the time to take the photo and comment. Yep, that looks like a 1-helmet box to me too. I guess I'm sort-of spoiled by the '07 Wee OEM topcase. It's a rounded sort of shape that nicely holds two full-face helmets. Problem is that I accidentally locked the only key I had to it inside it. :confused: :frown:

I ended up destroying the lock trying to get it open. For some reason I don't much like the looks of the case I have but I do like its helmet-swallowing abilities. I just use it now with no lock. Works fine as theft isn't much of an issue where I live and work.

Thanks again.

#30 ·
Got it!

Put about 85 miles on it yesterday. Tough keeping under the break-in limit.
Did the first oil change - runs smooth! :thumbup:

Need to adjust the wind screen a little higher - pretty windy at 60 mph!

Loving it so far - updated my avatar with the extensive travels I have made on this bike. I don't include the states from my previous bikes - that was sooo last century!

Received my first bike wave too - lol

#32 ·
Waterproof case and mount for my Samsung S4 - any hints along those lines would be great.

Thanks in advance!!!

Best thing you can do for your cell phone is get either a Note 4 or an S5 and use the car mode. In car mode you can make calls, send text messages, request navigation and pull up music to play all without looking at your phone.

Just check if your "provider" leaves car mode enabled or disables it forcing you to use some crap they came up with. I know T-Mobil leaves car mode fully enabled.

That said Otterbox make good tough cases.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.