StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '05 Wee has the same problem my old KLR650 had - the horn sounded like a joke off the RoadRunner cartoon. Push the horn button and I'd hear...."meep meep." Guy driving car in front of me wouldn't even turn his head or look up in rear view.

I did solve that problem and want to do the same on my Wee, but couldn't remember - which horn.....?? Tonight I dug thru old receipts and it does pay to be a pack rat - I found it.

I bought those horns (a pair) from Harbor Freight,p.n.#99911 for $9.99 plus shipping of around $7.00.

When I sold the KLR, those horns were a real factor in the sale. Told the prospective buyer, "listen to this," and pushed the button. Haha......he jumped and started laughing - "never heard horns like that on a bike," he said.

Mounting is critical. You can't just bolt them on and go. The kit comes with 2 flexible metal straps about 3" long. You "must" mount the horns on those straps and bolt the straps to the frame. Use a horn relay to handle the load and test, test, test.

When you get it right there's no question - those horns blast. I ordered mine 5 minutes after finding that receipt. Enjoy. Lars

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
More sound means more power used. It's a good idea to add a horn relay with any louder horn. Otherwise, you may find yourself replacing a very expensive left handlebar switch cluster. I'll also take this opportunity to mention headlight relays. Add them, especially on dual headlight models. All too many have wished they had.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More sound means more power used. It's a good idea to add a horn relay with any louder horn. Otherwise, you may find yourself replacing a very expensive left handlebar switch cluster. I'll also take this opportunity to mention headlight relays. Add them, especially on dual headlight models. All too many have wished they had.
Thanks, Greywolf. I did mention the relay in 2nd to last paragraph and will look into a headlight relay. I'm astonished it doesn't come stock from an outfit like Suzuki. Yes, heavy load circuits should always be powered via a relay.

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
I would run a ground strap instead of just bolting it to the frame

just bolting to frame is ok if you have a steel frame, with an aluminum frame, it would cause bi metal corrosion

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would run a ground strap instead of just bolting it to the frame

just bolting to frame is ok if you have a steel frame, with an aluminum frame, it would cause bi metal corrosion
You're right and I wrote that the lazy way. I wouldn't drill holes in frame for anything. On the KLR, horns were mounted to fairing and separate ground was necessary. The Wee will be the same way.

·
Registered
15,528 Posts
I have a blaster horn I got form some forum purchase and haven't mounted it yet.
I don't have an intimate relation with the horn switch and don't rely on the horn to save me in any incident.
I guess it's nice to have a loud announcer but I find the occasion comes and goes so quickly that my reaction time to slow to be of any good.
To me the horn is about as much benefit as the side stand or clutch switch is. F-ing useless.

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
my horn(s) are stock Hella twin trumpets from a mid 90s 5 series BMW, plenty loud

very much like the ones in this video except black in color

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I had a HF bad boy horn on my mc shelf for another bike, but put it on the K9 650. I think it was GW that had done a post on how he had put it under the right side faring. So using straps and the original horn relay mounted it there. Kinda always forget it's there, but it sure is loud, and mounted out of the way.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a blaster horn I got form some forum purchase and haven't mounted it yet.
I don't have an intimate relation with the horn switch and don't rely on the horn to save me in any incident.
I guess it's nice to have a loud announcer but I find the occasion comes and goes so quickly that my reaction time to slow to be of any good.
To me the horn is about as much benefit as the side stand or clutch switch is. F-ing useless.
I don't live on the horn, either, but there do come times when it's necessary to wake up some donkey and it's nice to have the means available. If you're gonna have one, have a good one.

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
I was happy with the stock horn for the most part cause I generally just use it as a friendly beep beep.

I have the Hella BMW horns only because the stocker stopped working and I snagged the horns out of a junk bimmer my son has

·
Registered
387 Posts
My partner says that I'm horn happy (she says it a different way *cough*), both on the bike and in the car. My Wee came with a Screaming Banshee horn that I *LOVE*. I've only had the bike for about 9 months, but I can guarantee it's stopped a car crossing into my lane at least 1-2 times per month.

I can actually complain about not being seen, unlike so many riders that I see. I wear a high-viz helmet, gloves and jacket, and my bike is orange. I'm a 6 foot not-tall-enough-for-my-weight guy. I should be seen. But when I'm not, I have the banshee. :)

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Just a polite warning to the O.P:

You can fry the horn button if you hook up the wires to the horn relay wrong, too, and it is easier to do than you think.

It can be tight working in that area, where it can be difficult to see to match up the wires to the proper terminals on the relay, either before or after mounting the relay to a good spot under the fairing.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Mounting is critical. You can't just bolt them on and go. The kit comes with 2 flexible metal straps about 3" long. You "must" mount the horns on those straps and bolt the straps to the frame. Use a horn relay to handle the load and test, test, test.
Thanks for that mounting info! I had a Harbor Freight horn on my previous bike, but always had problems keeping it properly mounted. Now that I know better, maybe I'll get one for my Wee.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just a polite warning to the O.P:

You can fry the horn button if you hook up the wires to the horn relay wrong, too, and it is easier to do than you think.

It can be tight working in that area, where it can be difficult to see to match up the wires to the proper terminals on the relay, either before or after mounting the relay to a good spot under the fairing.
Not to worry. I have a huge amount of experience with this type of thing and have also completed a similar installation on my KLR650 - that's the motorcycle with the quiet transmission. :) It's simple enuf - wires from horn button go to coil side of relay; hot goes from fuse to one leg of switched, 2nd leg of switched goes to + on horn, 2nd wire from horn goes to ground. Boom. I'll post some pictures when done.

·
Registered
7,793 Posts
Too late

My experience in a couple of decades of riding is that the horn is OK as a means of commenting on cager driving, but pretty useless in accident avoidance. By the time the cager wakes up and smells the coffee, you've either avoided the accident yourself, or had it. Maybe being unfairly harsh to cagers in general, but around here they are slow to react, generally oblivious. and some just don't care. Evidently, in their minds, every traffic transaction is negotiable, and bikers have little to negotiate with. At least a couple times a year, will have a cager merge into me after looking over, seeing me in the lane, and then coming over anyway. Stop signs are invisible to them, red lights suggestions, and lanes don't enter into their considerations. And right of way depends more on the mass of the vehicle than traffic law. My favorite cager tactic is when they are forced to stop at a stop sign by crossing traffic, they will creep forward into the intersection as you approach, to see if you'll stop and let them in. Very reassuring. Doesn't help that they have nuclear-flash-safe window tinting, so you have no idea what they are looking at.

So my strategy is to forget the horn and avoid the accident. Cause the horn ain't gonna save you, in most cases.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I’m not, by any stretch of the imagination, a guy who rides on the horn, BUT I have to commute through a city full of 2-stroke passenger carrying motorbike tricycles where the ambient noise is deafening and the riders frequently change lanes and/or emerge from side roads without looking or stopping.
So my FIRST buy for my new XT was a set of Hella 3AG 003 399-801 horns.
Rated BEST BUY and even come with a warning not to use inside a garage.
They’re NOT cheap at £35 (including the relay), but they are LOUD.

Sent from my iPhone8

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
My older RoadStar has a after market louder horn on it but I hit a horn far more not meaning to in the winter with mittens on than I ever do in riding every day.
On the first post talking about the RoadRunner cartoon. My first new car was a 1969 RoadRunner.Really good car and took 130,000 of abuse with out a valve cover ever off and still ran like new.Back then 100,000 was a lot. The only horn that thing had was the beep beep horn. Some one cut you off in traffic and out of habit you hit the horn. They just laugh. Did a lot more fingers than horn blowing in bad traffic.>:)
Now to make people laugh it was great.:grin2:

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
...So my strategy is to forget the horn and avoid the accident. Cause the horn ain't gonna save you, in most cases.

Yea a horn is to only express you opinion after the fact.

Of course these days tooting your horn at someone is likely to set off a road rage incident.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts