Strom Trooper banner

41 - 60 of 135 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,353 Posts
Gee, I can ALMOST make this ... but I can't.

I am flying to Ontario Oct 2, flying back to Florida Oct 7, and borrowing (back)
my Wee-Strom "Colorado" from the gent who has been riding it for a couple of years.

BUT, On October 4 and 5 and 6 I will be in St. Catharines carousing with school colleagues, celebrating the 60th anniversary of our graduation from high school. Understand, I am talking about an all-male school wherein we all lived together for several years, in my case six.

So there's a ton of camaraderie and lots of spilled blood
and beer in the intervening years.

SO I will think about your fine get-together near Tweed and probably make some
throttle-and-clutch motions with my hands, but I will not be joining you.

Stay warm!
Keith

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd like to join the group in Tweed in October if it's OK having a New Yorker attend (may be on the Kawi not the Suzuki). I'll contact the campground for accommodations. Anything special I need to know about border crossings, riding in Ontario in general? Was thinking about crossing over from NY at Collins Landing.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Me too! me too!
I'm in !
After eyeing this thread for months, finally got schedule sorted and cleared for that weekend.
Expect to be in a tent but will explore options over the next week or so.

cstyler, let be be the first to welcome you as well. Even if you are on the Kawi.
I don't think there is anything special at the border to know other than that it helps to have a passport with you and to leave any firearms at home.
As to the the roads and driving in Ontario. As a Torontonian, I'd be the first to say that we have among the most selfish, self-centred, oblivious, inconsiderate drivers of anywhere I've been in the world right here. Maybe as long as you are not too close to Toronto itself, it won't be too bad. Just keep your wits about you. But that's pretty standard advice isn't it? :smile2:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds like it will be like driving on Long Island. Hate the roads and drivers here. 7.5 million people on an island never a good idea. Looking forward to heading north. I'll be riding over from my cabin in the woods near Wilmington NY. Look forward to meeting everyone. Thanks.

Charlie

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Sounds like it will be like driving on Long Island. Hate the roads and drivers here. 7.5 million people on an island never a good idea. Looking forward to heading north. I'll be riding over from my cabin in the woods near Wilmington NY. Look forward to meeting everyone. Thanks.

Charlie
It'll be good to have you and Mike along Chuck. If you haven't done it before, I highly recommend crossing at the Wolf Island ferries to Kingston. I can send you my route to Wilmington which is all back roads, and goes right through Tweed. Otherwise, it's on MyRoute-app....just friend me and you will see it. Send me a note on MSN or PM trough Trooper.

Phil

·
Registered
9 Posts
Send me link to route on email or message on instagram. You should have my email. Mike not making the trip this time. Gonna get camp ready to close up for winter and head over to Tweed. I'll be Charlie's big adventure. Thanks,

Charlie

·
Registered
323 Posts
Well it seems there is at least 8 people interested so far and maybe more.

Here's a couple of gentle paved riding routes for that weekend to get the ball rolling.

Calabogie Route - https://goo.gl/maps/pD7ia83MZNKjNGKy9 - 7.5hrs/580km

Frontenace Route - https://goo.gl/maps/Yhca4U97Ya1v4BR97 - 8hrs/560km

Any suggestions for lunch spots, length of routes or whatever else - please chime in.
Don't let me plan the routes, otherwise we'll be riding from 7am to 8pm each day!
Juan, Do you happen to use my route app, It would be a lot easier sharing routes, Ted

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Juan, Do you happen to use my route app, It would be a lot easier sharing routes, Ted
I should but I don't. My last trip down south, I planned 9day/7000km of twisty backroads all on the gps unit itself. I got pretty fast at it after a while!
I used to use Tyre, but haven't since they lost the google maps platform. I'll try to see if I can get the my route app going after this long weekend.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Shane....I tried to save or download your route from Google Maps, but can't. If it is on your GPS, you can plug in and upload it to MyRoute as a route or track I think. I have the Gold version, and can play with different features like comparing to TomTom and HERE, to be sure it's the same.

Any problems, let me know, or if you want to just pass the routes off as a GPX file, I can do it for you and post to the string.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Shane....I tried to save or download your route from Google Maps, but can't. If it is on your GPS, you can plug in and upload it to MyRoute as a route or track I think. I have the Gold version, and can play with different features like comparing to TomTom and HERE, to be sure it's the same.

Any problems, let me know, or if you want to just pass the routes off as a GPX file, I can do it for you and post to the string.
Thanks Phil. I only posted those routes to see what people were interested in doing - to get the discussion going and so I just created them on the spot in Google Maps. I'm sure I have some similar routes saved as GPX files. I'll try to make some time to get the my route app this week. I'm up for whatever as long as it involves lots of riding!

PS: I rode past your cottage today but was in a rush to get home, so didn't stop by. Next time!

·
Registered
2,730 Posts

Thanks Phil. I only posted those routes to see what people were interested in doing - to get the discussion going and so I just created them on the spot in Google Maps. I'm sure I have some similar routes saved as GPX files. I'll try to make some time to get the my route app this week. I'm up for whatever as long as it involves lots of riding!

PS: I rode past your cottage today but was in a rush to get home, so didn't stop by. Next time!
I don't know where is your cottage located but perhaps I past your house today...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Just checking in to see what's up.

I was chatting with the owners of the park today, and the same Saturday we are there, they are doing a chilli cook-off/pot luck dinner.
I think that solves the dinner plans for Sat night. My plan is to make a pot myself to add to dinner. But maybe anyone that plans on being there Sat night could add something as well, so we're all contributing. There's a grocery store not far away we can stop at after our ride on Sat, to buy what we need. Does that sound OK?

Also - depending on how many are coming, I may make everyone breakfast on Sunday before everyone goes home. Nothing fancy, just kind of a thanks for coming sort of thing.
For Sat night, I thought we could hang out on my site. I have the best fire pit, lots of firewood and an abundance of comfy chairs. There might even be a bit of whiskey offered around.

Photos show what my place looks like.
Site #28

The only other thing is the numbers.

Who's coming Friday ( I have a short ride planned for Friday for anyone interested, or able ), to Sunday?
Who's coming Sat - Sun?
Who's just coming Sat?

Any questions, concerns, etc... you can email me
[email protected]

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice place.
Looking forward to the ride to Tweed!
I plan on arriving Friday early afternoon. Not sure if I'll want to do more riding that day.
Leaving Sunday AM. Staying at site #52.
I'd be glad to contribute $ for the Sat dinner.

Thanks,
Charlie

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Hi Jamie,

My current plan is to take the day off work on Friday and leave Mississauga early morning. I'll take the scenic route over there, maybe through Parry Sound and Huntsville, getting there around 4-6pm latest.
I'm down for the potluck thing and being vegetarian, I may bring something healthy - not sure if that's allowed. Otherwise, I'm also happy to contribute $.
Sounds good on the whiskey and to balance things out, I might bring a big fat joint for Saturday night then.

Looking forward to this!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Jamie, I plan on being there Friday afternoon and leaving Sunday morning, sounds like you have it really organized, I havn't booked a tent site yet, do you think I should it being the off season, Ted

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Just got confirmation from the wife that I'm free to ride boys!

I'll be there Friday evening and hanging out all weekend until you kick me out.

I need to call them now for a site to throw the tent down.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I would contact the park about a site if you want your own space.
But the sites are quite big, so see if you can share a site with someone else - save a bit of money too.
The sites from 42 - 57 all have trees lining both sides and are on the water. They are all big enough for a trailer, so two or three tents shouldn't be an issue if you were so inclined. Sites 36 - 38 are wide open with few trees.

I thought some people had booked the little cottages as well, but I hadn't heard yet? They are very nice, much more expensive than tenting, but very comfortable.

As I said, if you think you have friends that might enjoy a weekend away, and can manage the tenting & the riding on a variety of roads ( nothing too difficult though ), then feel free to invite them.

Thanks.

And I am making a plan for doing breakfast at my site Sunday morning before people leave.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I thought some people had booked the little cottages as well, but I hadn't heard yet? They are very nice, much more expensive than tenting, but very comfortable.
There are 3 of us filling up one cottage and I think two people in another cottage. And a bunch of people tenting it seems as well, so there should be a nice turn out.
Thanks for your efforts.

41 - 60 of 135 Posts