StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case anyone is interested, I'll share something about the Pirelli Scorpion Trail II's. I bought a pair back in May. Just got the wheels and tires dropped off at an Indie shop to mount in a few days.

The sidewalls on both were marked "made in Germany". That came as a bit of a surprise. Rear was dated May '17, same month I bought them from Rocky. Front was dated early 2016.

I'm hoping to take a 3 or 4 day trip next week, so maybe I can give some impressions after that.

They are replacing some 2 yr old Bridgestone Battlewings. Loved the street grip on them ( especially turn in and leaned) and not bad on good gravel roads. Better all around than the Oem TW's. What I didn't like was the front tire worn down to borderline inspection limit after 5k miles. The rear BW would go another 3k easily. The first time I've ever had a front wear out long before a rear on a motorcycle. I guess that they are discontinued now.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Like everything else in our global economy... it's complicated.

Metzeler was bought out by Pirelli in 1986, but the brand still functions as a subsidiary of Pirelli.

Pirelli, in turn, was purchased by Chinese state-owned enterprise ChemChina in 2015 and functions as a subsidiary company.

Pirelli/Metzeler has factories all over the world -- Brazil, Romania, Germany, Italy, China, etc., so it's a total crapshoot where any given set of tires was made. The factories in China are the largest and newest, so odds are you'll get tires from China.

So far, I've seen a lot of folks complain about commie tires, but no one seems to have had any actual quality issues.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
It was said that ChemChina bought Pirelli to get their tire technology for the Chinese car & truck tire market. We'll see if ChemChina puts R&D money into Pirelli & Metzeler for new developments to keep up with the other motorcycle tire makers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts