StromTrooper banner

Gerbing's Vest & The Wee?

2021 Views 11 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  notacop
:confused:I have a 2008 ABS V-Strom 650 and want to add a Gerbing's heated vest to my gear set. The bike has Suzuki heated grips as a dealer add-on. Can I rely on the stock system to run these two pieces reliably? Please share your thoughts and experiences. Thanks!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,046 Posts
Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I think the K8 and up Wee has 25 watts more to play with than the older ones. I have a K7 and I cannot run my full jacket liner and gloves on high while running my grips simultaneously, so the grips get turned off because the gloves are so much better. Put a voltmeter on it, that's what I did and experiment with what you can run. By the way the above was at 3-4K rpms and up not idling.

· Premium Member
Former 2x DL650 owner; moved onto Super Tenere ES
527 Posts
I have an '07 with full Gerbings jacket (which NEVER needs to be turned beyond mid-temp), heated grips (never on hi as low is HOT), and GPS with no problems in the past several thousand miles. Frankly, I use the heated jacket MUCH more than the heated grips and often on a very low setting. If you don't already have handguards, get them. Cutting the wind helps a lot. BTW I'd much rather have Gerbing heated gloves than my heated grips and I bet on a low setting it would be a nice even temp.

· Registered
611 Posts
2 Gerbing heated jackets (not vests) on full power work fine on my k7 Wee at anything over idle rpm. But 2 heated jackets on full blast will not allow me to run my heated grips much at all. That is too much for the electrical charging system.

I push my electrical system charging output all the time. I watch my Datel voltmeter readout. 14.8 volts is full charging. 12.8 volts is no charging, same as resting battery voltage. Anything over 12.8 volts is fine in my mind.

· Registered
7,576 Posts
Can I rely on the stock system to run these two pieces reliably?
If you're considering running the heated apparel from the heated grip wiring, uh uh. Put in separate wiring for the heated gear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.