StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Gerbings Jacket liner, Gerbings gloves and a dual controller. The controller has 2 female plugs, the jacket has 1 male and 1 female plug. (I'm ignoring the power plugs) How do I connect the gloves and jacket separately (yes, I can run them in series, but that defeats the comfort of the dual plug set-up.)?
Gerbings doesn't list a male/male connector and their phone line was busy for 20 minutes before I hung up. Their catalogue does not show a male/male connector, and Radio Shack/the Source doesn't have anything. It's a 2.5mm pin/receptacle or I could hook up two stereo plugs - 3.5mm.

Any advice?

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Number one, if you use a y cable you will defeat the purpose of having a dual controller, so don't do that.

Your jacket should have two male plugs and one female, as mine does. The male plugs are for connecting to the controller outputs for separate control of the gloves and jacket. The female would feed wires to heated liners or socks, or both I suppose.

How old is the jacket?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How old is the jacket? Don't know, but it's old - the heavy wire still heats like a well, hot damn. It's just odd, having 1 male and one female plug.
Some might like a female going into a female, but I do prefer the male into the female version.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
How old is the jacket? Don't know, but it's old - the heavy wire still heats like a well, hot damn. It's just odd, having 1 male and one female plug.
I was wondering how old it is because perhaps early ones didn't have connections for gloves? I don't know. You do have the wires coming out of the cuff area, right? If there is indeed only 1 male, and the cuff wires, then it sounds like you're stuck with one control setting for both. It's not the worst thing anyway, that's how I run on one of my bikes.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, it's a puzzle. Perhaps it's a defective jacket, but it's well outside any warranty and I'm not the first owner. The jacket does have glove connectors and the little pockets at the cuffs to store them; also, the wires are intact. I could use the jacket stopping every 20 minutes to swap the connectors from jacket to gloves, but that's a pain.
As for series usage, yes, I did that, then my battery died.
Pure coincidence, since it was going on 6 years old, but it makes me nervous, even though I now have a brand new battery.

Anyway, if I could just get a male/male adapter, the problem would be solved. Plan B would be to buy a male plug and cut and replace the female piece.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts