StromTrooper banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am in the process of determining where and how to mount my gerbings dual controller. I have seen where it looks like people use a dual control heat troller for both, but I was wondering if I could wire up my controller? Then I wouldn't have to have a separate controller for my grips.

If someone can tell if this can be done that would be great, and also maybe a how to and what I will need for it? My gerbings controller uses coax power cables and I'm not sure what the connection type is on the heated grips, but it's a little white clip that reminds me of the battery connector style from old rc cars.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,833 Posts
Interesting idea.

I`ll tell you though, if this is your first foray into heated gear, get yourself a pair of heated gloves and ditch the grips. My grips bit the dust a few years back and I`ve never bothered to replace them because the Gerbings gloves are the tops.

Then controller issues are simple. If you`ve got a dual controller, one side can control the liner and the other the gloves.

The grips would require a bit of messing around and, in my opinion, would not be worth the hassle.

Go whole hog and get their top of the line gloves. Worst case scenario, you`ve got grips and gloves to choose from.

BTW, I permanently mounted my dual controller in a box off the left mirror stalk. It sits above the OEM grip controller which now controls bugger-all. I keep meaning to look at what`s wrong with the grips but can`t be bothered because the gloves are so damn good.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've got Oxford grips and the controller is mounted on the handlebar. I also have a Gerbings jacket liner and G3 gloves. The grips are fine when it is cool outside and I need to keep the chill away. The gloves are like warm sunshine filling my digits with golden warmth :yesnod: (they rock!). I have a pig tail attached to the left side frame and when I run the heated gear I velcro my dual controller to the top of my tank bag. Its is easy to reach and see if needed, take it off when not in use.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i have thought about heated gloves, but love having the grips right now...maybe eventually get some more heated gear, but they are on the spendy side and there are other farkles on the top of my list.

i know my grips draw fewer watts, so i would assume that the controller could handle it...i just want to find an adapter so i don't have to make my own/hack up either my grips wiring or controller wiring...i am trying to see if anyone has done such a thing?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i should add that...if no one has tried this, then i am going to go for it myself...the back of my controller says 168 watts max power so i am assuming it can handle it. but what i want some assistance on then would be if it matters on the grips which one is positive and negative? i am concerned because the wires aren't clearly marked on my coax leads out of my controller. anyone have any idea or insight on this?

·
Registered
16,005 Posts
I mounted my Gerbing controller on the top of my tank bag with a bit of velcro. Makes it easy to toss in the trunk when leaving the bike parked. Also I can adjust the heat level with the gloved hand without looking at it. The plug was wired so that the feed comes out at the front left of the seat. I can also move the controller from bike to bike this way.
I strive to make solutions as simple as possible. KISS!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Heated gear is not polarity sensitive. The inputs to the controllers are but the outputs are not.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heated gear is not polarity sensitive. The inputs to the controllers are but the outputs are not.
That's what I thought. I would be safe hooking up the oxfords without paying attention to the wire color/polarity. My input wire will remain the same.

I will probably try just Velcro first in front of the gas tank, but eventually will be mounting it inside the fairing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
concours

Gerbins also have a belt clip that the dual controller fits into, it works great to clip it onto the waist belt on the Olimpia riding gear all you have then is 1 conection between you and the bike, I agree the heated grips are fine on cool days but when it's cold the gloves are a must

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Get a warm and safe controller for the grips. The single one for grips that the guy who sells Hot Grips has. Then get gloves and Hippo Hands. Good at 34 F set at 1/4 of the range and Hot Grips at 1/:mrgreen:4 the range. Maybe a little too warm. Now all I need is a dual controller jacket and pants lin:mrgreen:ers togo with the G3 gloves.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts