StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tired of being cold. I have taken several rides totaling 2000 Kms over the last 2 weeks, a couple 400+ Kms (250 miles) long, some in near freezing conditions (one in summer-like weather). For the last one I was wearing a high-tech long-sleeved undershirt, a favourite flannel shirt, a fleece vest, a fleece hoodie and a fleece jacket liner, plus the rain liner; all within my bike jacket. The small of my back was still cold, so I strapped my Alaska sheepskin seat cushion in place, like a kidney belt. I felt somewhat Bibedum-ish, but was warm enough for the near freezing and wet ride.

Now to the point (finally) of this post. I will be buying the microwire Gerbing heated jacket liner (with the sleeves). I have not decided on the gloves yet, I may just get heated grips.

Sizing. In Tall (I'm 6'-3", 215 lbs) they have L, L/XL (an intermediate size) and XL. I am considering the L/XL because their literature suggests that a snug fit is best, with the liner worn over a long-sleeved undershirt, with added fleece or whatever else over it.

First Question: From those who have worn electrically heated liners, how crucial is this snug fit?

2nd Q: The tall model is only longer in the sleeves. Is the jacket long enough in the body for other long-torso-ed individuals? Does it tuck into your riding pants?

Thanks,

Marc

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am about 6'1" and currently about 210 lb (I have lost ~10 lb since I bought the jacket 2 years ago). I wear the Microwire jacket in XL-L (I have a 35"-36" sleeve length in dress shirts). I do notice as I've lost weight that if the jacket is not touching your body, you may feel a cool spot. I do not tuck the jacket into my pants. With the winters that we get in western Oregon, I do not generally need anything other than a polypro T-shirt, a long sleeve polypro, the Gerbings, and my Olympia AST riding jacket for rides up to an hour or so at temperatures down in the mid 20s°F. For longer rides at these temps or colder, you will probably need some additional liner OVER the Gerbings (the heat is radiating out).

If you have a shop in the area where you can try the jackets on that is best. It does make cold weather riding wonderful. I carry mine almost year round to wear over passes where temps easily get into the 40s even in the summer. Hope this helps.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Snug is much better. Any place it isn't touching will have an insulating air gap. The liner is much better at heating your body than at heating all the air under jacket. Put your hand close to a heating pad, then on the heating pad and feel the difference.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,404 Posts
My jacket does not "tuck" into my riding pants. Which is the way I like it. The Gerbings pants have a very tall waist so the jacket can overlap some. Snug is correct, you will know where it doesn't fit tight as it should, I adjusted the cinch straps on my jacket to help that out on my Gerbings. Even though the jacket is snug, it should not bind your arms when in the riding position. Good stuff. I have the gloves for extreme cold but still use the heated grips with the gloves.

·
Registered
15,418 Posts
I usually wear a long sleeve shirt under the Gerbing jacket. Makes it more comfy. As Greywolf mentioned, snug is better that loose.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
As mentioned, mine does not tuck into my pants and I have a somewhat longer torso and long arms. In the cold I usually like some clothing to tuck into my pants, so I will usually wear a long sleeved t-shirt (made from bamboo or eucalyptus - because they are so much more comfortable than the synthetics) which tucks in to my pants.

I usually wear my heated jacket somewhat somewhat snug. If it's not snug, then I just turn the heat up more, since I rarely need to turn it on more than 1/3 strength to begin with.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Hmm. Also in Ottawa, so I get the weather you'd be riding in.

I have some no name vest, no temp controller, no on off switch, and I'm 6-4. Plug it in when it's cold, unplugg it when it's warm. It has to be tight to work effectively, otherwise it's like trying to heat the kitchen with a toaster. But if you put you hand in the toaster next to the heating elements, it'll get really hot really fast. Actually I find with the proper winter riding jacket and heated grips, I haven't had to plug in my vest all that often, only when it's at or below freezing. I haven't found a need for heated liner sleeves, and I don't have to worry about tucking it into my pants as it ends above the beltline.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have two Gerbing jacket liners, one snug and one loose. When I bought the oldest one, I deliberately got it snug for more efficiency. I was worried about overtaxing the electrical output of my DL650. It worked fine, but I gradually realized that the snug fit was making me feel constricted and I got tired sooner because of it. There was also a bit of a sauna sensation and I was aware of hot spots. I could feel when the controller turned the power on and off.

After using that first liner for about 5 years, I read a post on the net by a guy who advocated a loose fitting liner for more comfort, so I bought one a size larger that fits me rather loosely. I was happy to find out that it is indeed more comfortable on long rides. I feel like I can move around better and the heat distributes more evenly around my torso. There is more air circulation so I don't get the sauna feeling. It's hard to find the right words to describe how the new liner feels different. Maybe "luxurious" would come close. I know that I am less aware of the fact that I am being eletrically warmed. I just stay comfortable.

Around the same time I got the new jacket liner, I also got a Storm Rider controller that mounts on the handlebar and gives me a digital readout of my heat setting. This is a must have accessory for the heated rider, in my opinion. Way safer than a controller on the cord that you have to hunt for while riding. With my new loose fitting liner, I don't think I've ever turned the controller up higher than 5 out of 9 levels, so power consumption isn't really an issue for me.

Mike in Vancouver

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Hmm. Also in Ottawa, so I get the weather you'd be riding in.

I have some no name vest, no temp controller, no on off switch, and I'm 6-4. Plug it in when it's cold, unplugg it when it's warm. It has to be tight to work effectively, otherwise it's like trying to heat the kitchen with a toaster. But if you put you hand in the toaster next to the heating elements, it'll get really hot really fast. Actually I find with the proper winter riding jacket and heated grips, I haven't had to plug in my vest all that often, only when it's at or below freezing. I haven't found a need for heated liner sleeves, and I don't have to worry about tucking it into my pants as it ends above the beltline.
Hmm - I have one of those vests too. But recently I picked up a Tourmaster Synergy heated jacket liner when it was on sale. The vest was fine. The jacket liner is exceptional.

As has been said elsewhere, the Tourmaster is way too hot at full temperature. The advantage of it over other brands is that it comes with a heat controller (high-medium-low-off), eliminating the need to buy an accessory controller. Riding with this thing on low at near freezing ambient temperatures I almost don't need to turn on the heated grips.

And to the original poster, I'm 5"10 and 180lbs. This Tourmaster (and a Gerbings I tried on at the same time) is a size large. It fits comfortably snug over a long sleeved t-shirt. With my riding jacket on it's perfect.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's great information everyone. I'll be sticking with the Gerbing jacket and the dual (handlebar) controller, so I can add gloves or pants later if I feel the need. I had a look at the Tourmaster site, and that does look like it could be a very good alternative.

I'll make my final decision on the size that will give me a snug but not restrictive fit after talking to the folks at Gerbing, once they wake up on the West coast.

Thank you.

Cheers

Marc

·
Registered
24 Posts
Another alternative is Warm & Safe, the Home of the Warmest Clothing in the Universe with their dual wireless controller that I mount via velcro on the bike. I believe they make the stuff for Tourmaster. But I have been using them for 6 years (Goldwing & DL650) I use their full jacket (not snug) and their gloves. I have non electric insulated liners under my Motoport Kevlar AirII and only use Motoport liners below 45 degrees. Most of the time it is just the warm n safe jacket liner under full Motoport, sometimes with electric gloves.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts