StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got home from a ride to find that my bike wouldn't go up on the center stand. Took a minute to figure out why. So, do I find a good welder, or just replace? I've found the SW Mototech and Suzuki stands online at about the same price ($215-$225 ish).

Attachments

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Better - $120 at Murph's kits.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Better - $120 at Murph's kits.
Good call! There are a couple threads floating around about the Murphs Kit one. I just installed mine about a month ago and love it so far. Some complain about some of the welds. Mine was so so, but the structural ones were fine IMO. So I didn't bother sending it back for a prettier one. Once on the bike you can't see them anyways! Great product for a great price!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Check into the hepco Becker

I just took a Hepco Becker off my 06 dl1000 cause I sold the bike. Do some research and see if it will fit. If it does you can have it for $125 plus shipping. Send me a PM or email.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the offer, good price too. I went with the Murph's Kits center stand, thinking that to pay someone to straighten the old one up, weld up the breaks and cracks and weld on some reenforcement steel is going to be $100 anyway. If you've seen my bike you will understand when I say I don't care about ugly welds on something below the engine.

Put your stand in the For Sale section. Someone will pick it up at that price.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Definitely buy a new one and don't try welding the old one. For such a low price item that will hold your bike up, it's worth getting new...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hepco & Becker center stand

Got home from a ride to find that my bike wouldn't go up on the center stand. Took a minute to figure out why. So, do I find a good welder, or just replace? I've found the SW Mototech and Suzuki stands online at about the same price ($215-$225 ish).
Thanks for the offer, good price too. I went with the Murph's Kits center stand, thinking that to pay someone to straighten the old one up, weld up the breaks and cracks and weld on some reenforcement steel is going to be $100 anyway. If you've seen my bike you will understand when I say I don't care about ugly welds on something below the engine.

Here is a thought,

Spend a few bucks more and order the Hepco & Becker center stand.

A nice very high quality center stand which I just installed a few weeks back.

Went on in less than 25 minutes, taking my time.

Ordered it from Chad at Adventuremoto. Perfect.

Saw a post of another trooper who ordered a Murphs c/s. It arrived missing parts and had some rust issues? And missing parts?? What the??

Here is the post, scroll down to the bottom of the page. I am glad I paid a little extra for the Hepco and Becker c/s.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2012/73196-farkling-2012-650-wee-6.html

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the Murph's stand in, and it is a duplicate of the Suzuki. The welds on mine are fine, though the bolts feel a little light duty. Since the Suzuki was coming off, reused the heavier bolts where appropriate. Initial install was atrociously stiff, so took it all apart and used MUCH more grease everywhere around the pivots and bushings. Still not perfect, but 70% better. Now have to nudge the stand up a bit after use, much like I had to do with the Suzuki one. Got to reexperience the joy of the springs. Should have watched the video for the string method, instead used a long screwdriver to leverage the springs onto the pin. I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Murph's Kit Stand

I've got the Murph's Kit stand and it seems to be strong enough. The thing that you may have to correct is that there may be weld material on the bracket(s) that gets in the way of the stand when you prop the bike up on it. You won't know until you have it mounted and try to use it and find the bike teetering and threatening to come back down. If this happens, you'll need to remove the brackets and file flat the portion of the weld that gets in the way of the stand where it should stop against the bracket(s).

I had to file both brackets on mine.

Inconvenient, yes, but still worth the savings for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts