StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 DL1000 with a dead battery. The generator is not putting out (chuckle) and no fuses are blown. Is it possible (likely?) that a generator only lasts 30 k miles?

PS: Are the 3 black wires in the only 3 prong connector the generator leads? The schematic says they should be (Y) Yellow?.

Thanks for any thought you have.

Jay Zumwalt

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
It's very possible.

However, I would come up with a service manual and perform the tests indicated. Sure it could be the stator (generator) but it could also be a regulator.

·
Registered
22,391 Posts
its most likely the regulator/rectifier, the Strom has a magneto type alternator, the faster it spins, the more power output , unlike a automotive type alternator that regulates the power by regulating the field strength of the field coils (Strom has perment magnets instead) the Stroms RR regulates the voltage by shunting the excess power back to ground and dissapating the energy as heat (that's why the RR has cooling fins) sooner or later, the heat buildup is going to destroy the semiconductors that make the RR work

btw, the V-strom does not have a "generator"

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Administrator
18,151 Posts
Really starting to worry me about the 05 1000 models, seems they have been the ones to have stator or rectifier issues lately. I think I'll call Suzuki, and see what is going on "if anything".

·
Registered
961 Posts
No generators on anything for a lot of years, we now have alternators.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Me Too..

I have a 2005 DL 1000 with 10,600 miles and a dead battery. I replaced the battery but keeps going dead. I paid the big bucks for the factory service manual so i can troubleshoot it myself. What a waste of money. Manual doesn't describe the '05 Regulator / rectifier. It describes i believe the first couple of year style.The color codes and the connector,plugs are completely different. So i wasn't able to properly troubleshoot the problem. It could be a bad regulator or a bad stator.I checked for output of the stator by trying different wire combinations and came up with no voltage. Must be a bad stator? @ 10k miles, come on suzuki what the H**l
I pulled the engine cover off today and removed the stator and sure enough one of the group of windings is discolored and has melted insulation. Bummer!!

·
Administrator
18,151 Posts
I have a 2005 DL 1000 with 10,600 miles and a dead battery. I replaced the battery but keeps going dead. I paid the big bucks for the factory service manual so i can troubleshoot it myself. What a waste of money. Manual doesn't describe the '05 Regulator / rectifier. It describes i believe the first couple of year style.The color codes and the connector,plugs are completely different. So i wasn't able to properly troubleshoot the problem. It could be a bad regulator or a bad stator.I checked for output of the stator by trying different wire combinations and came up with no voltage. Must be a bad stator? @ 10k miles, come on suzuki what the H**l
I pulled the engine cover off today and removed the stator and sure enough one of the group of windings is discolored and has melted insulation. Bummer!!
Yup....that is what has been happening. What are you powering up, have you been running anything out of the ordinary?

·
Registered
329 Posts
stator

my stator went out after about 37k. (K3) The local Suz shop told me to test the stator by checking the ohms of all 3 wires to each other with the rectifer disconnected. IF - i remember correcly, the spec was 4 ohms. (5 yrs ago) as I recall, the readings werent off by very much, but they WERE out of spec. Then I remembered that I had a $0 ded. aftermarket warranty on the bike, so I let them do the repairs, (saved about $250):):) When I got the bike back, I re tested the new stator, and sure enough, the 3 wires tested exactly the same. (obviously) My point is: dont arbitrarily replace the rectifier till you have tested the system properly. the rec. is about $200.
At the time, I was running 2 100W off road bulbs and grip heaters. I have since removed the bulbs back to OEM. 75K now no problems:) The tech told me that a slowly deteriorating battery and bad connections at the rec/stator conn. MAY also take out the stator, so dont overlook the basics. Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
I have a 2005 DL1000 with a dead battery. The generator is not putting out (chuckle) and no fuses are blown. Is it possible (likely?) that a generator only lasts 30 k miles?

PS: Are the 3 black wires in the only 3 prong connector the generator leads? The schematic says they should be (Y) Yellow?.

Jay Zumwalt
K3 1000

I'm at the same crossroad. Battery gone. New battery in. Still coughs, sputters and dies when juice drops below nominal levels.

Service manual states: "...unplug generator and check for min. 75 V [coming out of 'generator'] leads" -- none of which are Yellow (Y) as schematic suggests.

So... all agree that the 3 black leads | | - are the ones to check? So far, no output from them at all.

Regulator is off the bike, testing it w/multimeter.

Advice from fellow 'Strommers??

·
Registered
24 Posts
You need to do 3 checks. First check the bike while idling the voltage coming back to battery (13.5+) i believe. Second unplug the stator harness and test for continuity in the harness with the bike idling,. Third, in the stator harness do a voltage check at 5k rpm should bring back 75 V or more. This is where mine was detected. Hope this didn't confuse, this is right from the manual......
http://mikeschinkel.com/motorcycles/vstrom/manual/7-Electrical.pdf

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
My stator fried at around 7k on my 05 1000, here's the thread I wrote up about how to change the stator. I also had to change the battery twice, and I changed the rectifier just to be sure everything was up to snuff before I sold it. Last I heard, the bike was still running great. I never did figure out what the cause was.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?t=25120

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Here's a weird one...

I replaced my fried stator and reg/rect about 10k miles ago, new battery too. I also installed a volt meter so that I could see what's going on charging wise.
Occasionally I'll be cruising along with an indicated 13.8-14.1VDC, the next time I look down (still @ highway speed) 12.2VDC...

...WTF...?

Clutch in--Kill switch--bump start>>VOILA back to charging...
It's done it several times, the connections are good, battery seems fine...

???Any ideas???

1 - 14 of 14 Posts