StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone, I'm new to the forum. I'm currently stationed overseas, but when I come back, I plan on acquiring a Wee and doing some pretty serious touring. Mostly on-road, but I want to be able to handle gravel roads without too much trouble. What I'm mainly looking for is information about what to look for when purchasing a used bike. Obviously ensuring it hasn't been dropped is a high priority, I'm thinking more along the lines of what years are better then others, common maintenance issues, good vs bad aftermarket parts to look out for, etc. Anything is appreciated, thanks for your time.

-Dave

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Welcome. Basics on bikes I look at is overall condition, ridden a fair amount. All rubber I replace at 5 years tires too due to dry rot. Look in thank for rust, any leaks oil and brake fluid color . When I buy a used bike I do a full replace ( tire, fluids, sprockets and chain as well as the 15k valve service to at least check the vales. At that point I feel good about getting 10-15k without any major problems, repairs save maybe a tire at 6-7k

This is a good Wiki for info http://v-strom.wikispaces.com/

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Hi Dave

Lots of stroms around Maple Valley/Enumclaw area. When do you return?

There aren't any problem years. 2004 to 2006 are the same except for color options. 2007 to 2009 had ABS available and more emission controls that did little or nothing to change how they run. 2008 and later have a slightly more powerful alternator. There were no 2010's imported into the U.S. 2011 are all ABS, and 2012 are a new version of which we've only seen pictures.

For gravel roads little needs to be changed. Suitable tires such as Shinko E705, Heidenau K60 Scout or Mefo Explorer tires are a help, and full knobbies like Continental TKC80, Metzeler Kartoo, or Kenda Big Block are even more help...but the bigger the knobs the faster they wear, and the lower priced Shinko and Kenda wear faster. A fork brace is a big help, as are springs front & rear that suit your loaded riding weight. If you get an ABS bike, you'll want an aftermarket ABS switch to turn it off when off pavement.

All your questions about which items to get can be answered here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should be back around May 2012. I don't know that I'll end up in WA again, but will be trying for the Northwest.

Is the more powerful alternator necessary? I doubt I'll be running anything off it besides a GPS and maybe a comms system eventually.

The only consistent mods I see are the fork brace, various attempts to solve the buffeting problem, and the 2mm spacer. Anything else I should be aware of?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The 2mm spacer is for the DL1000 only. Don't use it on a Wee. Extra power is an issue only with high draw stuff like extra incandescent lights or heated gear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts