StromTrooper banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DL1000 had been sitting for a year and some when I bought it. Chain was tight and creaky, oil was old. I've fixed both problems. I'm going to clean the air cleaner soon. Various and sundry info:

Bike had 33,500 on it (I've added 1000 to that in three weeks).

I know I need to do a TBS on it (I'm just a bit intimidated, but it looks as if the previous owner installed the vacuum tube to make it easier).

Sprockets were changed (I believe- I counted 42 rear teeth, speedo runs pretty high (80 indicated= ~65, 55 indicated= ~45, 30=25, etc). Rear sprocket is starting to get chewed up (teeth are JUST starting to look like waves). Chain has about 1.5" of travel.

Clutch chudder- plan on taking out the basket this winter and having it fixed.

Brakes have a good deal of meat on them- not worried atm.

Questions- what do I need to be worried about at this point? The bike was pretty well maintained when it was being ridden before, and I intend to keep it so. At what point do I need to start considering an engine rebuild, if at all? Any other maintenance that I need to do that I've forgotten or don't know about?

Also- the clutch handle has a brake fluid thing on it, and it says "fill only with DOT4 etc etc etc"- does this bike use brake fluid for the hydraulic clutch?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Yes, the bike uses brake fluid for the hydraulic clutch.

I'd flush the brakes and clutch system.

If the tires are more than about three years old, I'd seriously consider replacing the tires and valve stems.

Also, unplug each and every electrical connector, clean, and reassemble with dielectric grease. Yes, all of them. The whole bike.

Eight years is plenty of time for corrosion to start, and you can head off a lot of problems this way. Pay special attention to the headlight connector behind the left fairing and the stator connectors.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!!

I just read through the TBS, doesn't seem too complicated, I'll make the manometer too (doesn't sound complicated).

So brakes and clutch, lots of electrical stuff, tires are brand new this summer (he wanted to ride but then had a back injury), and I was planning on doing the sprockets/chain over the winter (when I don't have to inconvenience myself by not having a bike :) )

As far as engine durability goes, should I be worried about anything at this point? I've done plenty of rebuilds on the vehicles I've owned, and I'm a pretty competent mechanic (though I'm colorblind, so I've obviously shied away from electrical!). From what I've read (never having a bike with such high mileage), bike motors don't last as long. Can someone assuage my fears on this?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Thanks!!

I just read through the TBS, doesn't seem too complicated, I'll make the manometer too (doesn't sound complicated).

As far as engine durability goes, should I be worried about anything at this point? I've done plenty of rebuilds on the vehicles I've owned, and I'm a pretty competent mechanic (though I'm colorblind, so I've obviously shied away from electrical!). From what I've read (never having a bike with such high mileage), bike motors don't last as long. Can someone assuage my fears on this?
Dude, seriously:fineprint: that bike is just broken in. "The odometer stops at 199,000" the bike won't (if well looked after) :yesnod: http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl-1000-specific/62650-dl1000-k3-200-000-mile-writeup.html

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha, thanks for that, Bob. So I don't need to be worried about gaskets or anything? I love grease and wrenches, so I'm prepared, but if I don't have to, that makes me happy.

Also, cleaned the connectors last night, the only one that looked anywhere NEAR corroded was the 15a fuse (probably because it wasn't gold plated). I'll be doing the air cleaner soon (not looking forward to taking all the plastics off again, but you do what you gotta, I guess). Guy at the auto parts store didn't know what a manometer was when I asked him about loaner tools, so I guess I'll have to make one.

How long do clutches generally last, assuming I'm not a drag racer?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
1. Guy at the auto parts store didn't know what a manometer was when I asked him about loaner tools, so I guess I'll have to make one.

2.How long do clutches generally last, assuming I'm not a drag racer?

1.You need to go to another guy, or another store.:thumbdown:

2.Read my last post:thumbup:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, not having found anything in the thread about a clutch replacement, his clutch has lasted over 200k miles????? :jawdrop:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts