StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally have a bit of time to post and ask questions. Any help is greatly appreciated and thank you for taking the time to read. I will post pictures at the end.

The posting I purchased from said the tires were new. My father said to be careful as one of the sidewalls on the front has a nasty gouge in it. Does this look dangerous or is pops overreacting? If I do need to change the tire, how difficult is that to do? Can I grab a tool that helps seat the tire on the rim and YouTube it to death, or is this better left to pros? I’ve seen videos on how to check alignment and balance tires so I’m looking for people who have far greater experience than a PhD in YouTube consumption.Pretty novice when it comes to wheeled mechanics and looking for any help I can get. Sometimes google brings back terrible info and in the nursing biz, we say not to trust DR. Google with everything.

I plan on painting my bike over the winter and am wondering, aside from the fairings, will a quality, heat resistant paint done correctly last on the frame and engine parts? Assuming they can be painted. Right now I’m planning on matte black with neon accents in places I haven’t planned out yet. I haven’t been riding too long to know whether this is a waste of time or if it will hold up if planned and implemented properly.

My next question pertains to the hole the stock mirrors sit in. It’s stripped and the mirror just continues to turn. I have a tap and die set but I’ve seen helicoils and other methods for repairing bolts and bolt holes. Can somebody argue for one repair over another?

Through googling and learning, I came across a guy who makes custom LED panels meant for a Yamaha r something or other. The panel fits directly into the light housing and it can change colors and flash patterns. Totally unnecessary but fun to look at. Anyone know of something similar for the Strom. This is what I’m referring to and I am not posting to garner views or business for this person, merely to show what I mean:https://www.intelligentlighting.systems/shop

Finally, I purchased this bike with aftermarket exhausts and just picked up some stock exhausts, however the heat shields are pretty beat up (It was a good deal in my opinion). Can anyone suggest a way to get the scratches and dents out? They’re pretty gnarly.

Thank you again for any and all suggestions and help and for your time if you’ve made it this far.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Take it easy on modifying the ride. Priority is to ride SAVELY! So focus on your riding skills and get a good set of protective riding gear and wear it all the time (ATGATT).

That tire does not look good. Find the date stamp and report back how old it is. Your life depends on your tires, just remember that!

There are many threads here about tire changing, changing tools and technique etc. Take some time to read up on it. The hotter the tire and good lubricant, aside form proper tools, make the job much easier!

I have a brand new left heat shield for the VEE. Send me a conversation message if you want it.

Come join us for NEVA20. You can ask many questions during the rally.

NEVA20 Rally ----- IT’s A GO !!! ------
Catskills NY - Cooperstown - Woodstock

Save The Dates: July 31 to August 2, 2020
WWW.NEVA20.COM
NEVA20 - July 31 to August 2, 2020 - Catskills NY -...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum!

Take it easy on modifying the ride. Priority is to ride SAVELY! So focus on your riding skills and get a good set of protective riding gear and wear it all the time (ATGATT).

That tire does not look good. Find the date stamp and report back how old it is. Your life depends on your tires, just remember that!

There are many threads here about tire changing, changing tools and technique etc. Take some time to read up on it. The hotter the tire and good lubricant, aside form proper tools, make the job much easier!

I have a brand new left heat shield for the VEE. Send me a conversation message if you want it.
Thanks! I should specify that I’ve been riding for about 4 years and take the safety course every year aside from this year due to ‘rona. I also have invested in the right gear and wear it always, even on the hottest days. I’ll look into the tire threads! Thanks again for the advice!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum!

Come join us for NEVA20. You can ask many questions during the rally.

NEVA20 Rally ----- IT’s A GO !!! ------
Catskills NY - Cooperstown - Woodstock

Save The Dates: July 31 to August 2, 2020
WWW.NEVA20.COM
NEVA20 - July 31 to August 2, 2020 - Catskills NY -...
I didn’t even see the invitation to the rally! Thank you for that as well!

·
Registered
419 Posts
My father said to be careful as one of the sidewalls on the front has a nasty gouge in it. Does this look dangerous or is pops overreacting?

If I do need to change the tire, how difficult is that to do?

My next question pertains to the hole the stock mirrors sit in. It’s stripped and the mirror just continues to turn. I have a tap and die set but I’ve seen helicoils and other methods for repairing bolts and bolt holes. Can somebody argue for one repair over another?

Finally, I purchased this bike with aftermarket exhausts and just picked up some stock exhausts, however the heat shields are pretty beat up (It was a good deal in my opinion). Can anyone suggest a way to get the scratches and dents out? They’re pretty gnarly..
CCJ -- The tire doesn't look gouged as much as it looked dried, rotted, and weathered. I'd replace it. And as you said, there are plenty of videos out there on how to change a tire manually. A tire warmed in the sun is sooo much easier to install. I've even had success using the zip-tie method when installing Shinkos (rather soft sidewalls). Metzlers have caused me fits and used every bit of three spoons.

One option to consider regarding your mirrors would be to fabricate something like a mirror extender and mount your mirrors to those. Then attach the extender to the handlebars by inserting a bolt/nut through the original hole. Some folks say that mirror extenders help to reduce the wind buffeting by moving the mirrors outbound an inch or so, so you might kill 2 birds with one stone.

I would jump on that offer by blaustrom and grab the heat shield. Then you can experiment on the one you have (same side as the one he's got), using varying grits of sandpaper, to smooth it out. From the photos it is hard to tell how bad the shields are, but taking your time and moving from 80 grit all the way through wet 400, you could come up with a pleasing result. If it works, you can move on to the other one. If the sanding won't work, you have one new one in hand and can keep an eye out for another for the other side, over time. Side panniers cover a significant portion of the heat shields.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
The tire has a stress crack. If you ask 5 different people what you should do (replace or ride) you'll get 5 different answers. This is not a totally uncommon occurrence with Shinko 705's. I also had a Kenda tire that had probably 30 of these stress cracks between the treads. I discovered them the night before we rode the TOTD adn had at least a 1,000 more miles before home.

I mean no disrespect and have no idea of you mechanical aptitude but from the question you are asking about tire changing for now I'd leave that to the local shop to take care of for you. Down the road if you wan to invest in the tools for tire changing it can be very beneficial and save you money. You can go as simple as a DIY bead breaker, 2 tire irons and a air compressor. Or a manual tire machine up tot a full air/hydraulic machine.

Stripped mirror holes I'd use timeserts as I've never really had good luck with helicoils. Also make sure they are not supposed to be left hand threads. Some bikes use right hand threads on one mirror and left hand thread on the other. Good news is it would not hard to find a good used perch with a factory tapped hole

LED accent lights are not my thing and depending on where you live they might not be John Q. Laws thing either if you are running them on the road. Do not be surprised if you get pulled over.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CCJ -- The tire doesn't look gouged as much as it looked dried, rotted, and weathered. I'd replace it. And as you said, there are plenty of videos out there on how to change a tire manually. A tire warmed in the sun is sooo much easier to install. I've even had success using the zip-tie method when installing Shinkos (rather soft sidewalls). Metzlers have caused me fits and used every bit of three spoons.

One option to consider regarding your mirrors would be to fabricate something like a mirror extender and mount your mirrors to those. Then attach the extender to the handlebars by inserting a bolt/nut through the original hole. Some folks say that mirror extenders help to reduce the wind buffeting by moving the mirrors outbound an inch or so, so you might kill 2 birds with one stone.

I would jump on that offer by blaustrom and grab the heat shield. Then you can experiment on the one you have (same side as the one he's got), using varying grits of sandpaper, to smooth it out. From the photos it is hard to tell how bad the shields are, but taking your time and moving from 80 grit all the way through wet 400, you could come up with a pleasing result. If it works, you can move on to the other one. If the sanding won't work, you have one new one in hand and can keep an eye out for another for the other side, over time. Side panniers cover a significant portion of the heat shields.
Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The tire has a stress crack. If you ask 5 different people what you should do (replace or ride) you'll get 5 different answers. This is not a totally uncommon occurrence with Shinko 705's. I also had a Kenda tire that had probably 30 of these stress cracks between the treads. I discovered them the night before we rode the TOTD adn had at least a 1,000 more miles before home.

I mean no disrespect and have no idea of you mechanical aptitude but from the question you are asking about tire changing for now I'd leave that to the local shop to take care of for you. Down the road if you wan to invest in the tools for tire changing it can be very beneficial and save you money. You can go as simple as a DIY bead breaker, 2 tire irons and a air compressor. Or a manual tire machine up tot a full air/hydraulic machine.

Stripped mirror holes I'd use timeserts as I've never really had good luck with helicoils. Also make sure they are not supposed to be left hand threads. Some bikes use right hand threads on one mirror and left hand thread on the other. Good news is it would not hard to find a good used perch with a factory tapped hole

LED accent lights are not my thing and depending on where you live they might not be John Q. Laws thing either if you are running them on the road. Do not be surprised if you get pulled over.
Thanks for the advice! I had no idea some threads would be reverse. As far as the LED’s go, I want a headlight that is plug and play. I have no intention of breaking the law and running weird colors or patterns on the road; just something I consider fun to run when parked. Thank you again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts