StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
K, so I'm pretty hellbent on getting a GPS this summer. I have one in my phone, it's cute, I can see the possibilities. We (the royal we) have a new car this summer that I ordered without the GPS headunit.

I'm pretty strongly considering the Garmin Nuvi 650, which has great reviews. It's not waterproof, however, and doesn't come with a bike mount - but it's cheap. I'm also considering the Garmin Zumo 550, which is TWICE as much dough, and will suck up all my Amex Membership Miles.

I've never used a GPS on my bike before, but I have the dash shelf installed, which is pretty weather protected. I will prob use the GPS once or twice a year on the bike, in the car once or twice a month. SO: The Question, am I on CRACK to think I can get a non waterproof GPS system and ride with it? Can I just suction cup the GPS to the dash, or is that a crazy idea and should I pony up the Amex Membership Miles for the Zumo, a unit that's 1 1/2 years old now? Is the Zumo up to date? When CNET reviewed it they said the unit had out of date POI in Feb 2007! Is it worth the dough?

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
The Zumo is great for motorcycles.

But the Nuvi 260 is a heck of a good gps for $230. I've used them in the map pocket of my tank bag in rain. A Zip Loc bag seems to work as well. There's a $20 bike handlebar mount you could use as well.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I use a Garmin Nuvi 750 in a RAM mount on my DL1000. It has got pretty damp sometimes, but still works OK. The cigarette adapter is pass through (no voltage conversion), and the cable has a red and black wire inside that can connect to battery power. It has a bigger screen then the Zumo. If the Nuvi doesn't last, I can replace it twice for the price of the Zumo - and with the recent price drops in GPS, even if it only lasts a year - GPS' will be even less money a year from now....

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Every trip out of my area of Mount Desert Island, Maine has my Mio C-520 mounted on to my dash. I made my own mounting base to the Strom dash that the Mio car dash device is bolted to. It has seen an enormous amount of rough roads and rain in the year that I have owned it.

It is not waterproof. I use a ziplock baggie over it with two rubber bands to hold the baggie in place. 4.3" sized screen. Just as many bells and whistles as the expensive Garmin, for about half the price.

I have mine running unlocked and it doubles as a PDA running Windows Mobile 5, (which is what the Mio software sits on top of.). I can add other software to the system if I desire.

Barry

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Can't really comment on the particular models since I use handhelds - Garmin 76CSX and 60 CX but would be very surprised if you didn't find yourse;f using them more than you think - based on personal experience and those of my friends. One of the best features of the units is the Highway mode where, even though you don't necessarily follow a strict route, will show you upcoming curves (as long as you've programmed a destination in). On my BC trip last year, over totally unfamilar roads, this feature alone was worth owning a GPS for even though I didn't always have a fixed edstination or time in mind.

As far as rainproofing - for my first one, a Lowrance GlobalNav200 - I used to wrap it in cling wrap whenever I was out in rain (on my ATV) and worked great, could still see the screen.and controls. Not sure I'd do this with modern units though. YOu might check out ebay for Gilson cases - I have several and they are neoprene, robust and highly water resistant although not waterproof.

Safe rides

Bob

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Go big or go home! Its the Zumo 550, fully expandable and upgradable. The bluetooth can be a real savior.
Ultimately you;ll have to choose. If your on a tight budget, many here like the Nuvi, but if you are only doing it once, and don't want to miss out on anything, and have the dough. Do the Zumo, you won't regret it.
For me there is no looking back.

·
Registered
22,267 Posts
Zumo 550 if you have Bluetooth in your helmet and don't want wires, otherwise you can get Zumo 450. Don't worry about POI. You can get tons of them online. Check out www.zumoforums.com

There are plenty of discussions about Zumo vs. Nuvi on both forums (here and on http://11109.rapidforum.com/area=95). Use search button.
even if your not going to use bluetooth or xm radio, its still worth it to buy the 550 instead of the 450 if you are going to also use it in a car

the 450 only comes with a bike mount, the 550 comes with both, the difference in price is about the same as buying the car mount separate

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Either go cheap, and get one that does the basic job and bastardize it to work on your bike, or, spend your dough and buy a Zumo 550 or a Tom Tom Rider.

Cheap, like me, means you get fewer features and no water resistance. An elastic band and a ziplock bag do fine though.

Spending your dough, like my friend Bill, means water proofness, lots of accessories to fit it onto his strom (he must have five different Ram mounts for it), bluetooth, and much more programability.

For getting to a destination, though, my $100 GPS and his $600 GPS take about as long to enter a destination address, have the same POIs, and take us on the same route.

I like his GPS. Mine does what I need.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Don't even think of mounting up a non-waterproof unit. It WILL get wet and it will be junk.
My Nuvi 750 has got wet numerous times - let it dry (for days) completely,and works fine. The dashboard area on my VStrom doesn't get that wet, even in hard rain. (I remove or cover it when stopped). Even if the GPS doesn't dry out, there is a one year warranty, and after a year, you will be lusting after the latest and greatest new GPS model anyway (at a much lower price then you paid a year ago). Modern electronic printed circuits are coated (conformal coatings) that make them waterproof - connectors and contacts may corrode over the long term. Search the internet on "keyboard in dishwasher", or "iPod in washing machine" for common examples of water resistance of consumer electronics.

( See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conformal_coating )

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Ultimately it's your choice, I can only speak to the Zumo as that's what I have. I love it and will never be without a GPS again.

To me it's an easy choice as I use mine on the bike alot in all sorts of weather, it also does whatever the car ones will do while in the car.

I don't use the speach, MP3, or Bluetooth stuff so that's all a waste to me but that stuff is there if needed.

As mentioned the Zumo comes with everything needed to use in both the car and bike.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Don't even think of mounting up a non-waterproof unit. It WILL get wet and it will be junk.
Really? One year and still going strong. Ziplock baggie. Checkout the Mio C-520 and see what you get for your money. It's a really niftie unit that is unlockable; use as a PDA as well.

I have a host of boot up options, Original skin and unlocked. What's known as "Jerry's skin" and simple unlock, or really big unlock, Miopocket 2.0 v25 and Jerry's skin or OEM skin. I can do a bunch of different things with my system.

B.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Garmin Legend HCX

I'm very happy with my Garmin Legend HCX Bundle. Bought almost 1 month ago from Circuit City on sale for $189.00. (normally $399.00). Came with City Navigator CD, 12V adapter, car mount, USB plug. Gives turn by turn navigation. No voice though. Purchased a handlebar mount for $10.00, Installed a 12V outlet on my DL650. It can run on 2 AA's too. Use it in my truck, mountain bike and great for hiking in the deep woods. It is waterproof but found out the hard way it does not float. I think it was a great value.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Really? One year and still going strong. Ziplock baggie. Checkout the Mio C-520 and see what you get for your money. It's a really niftie unit that is unlockable; use as a PDA as well.

I have a host of boot up options, Original skin and unlocked. What's known as "Jerry's skin" and simple unlock, or really big unlock, Miopocket 2.0 v25 and Jerry's skin or OEM skin. I can do a bunch of different things with my system.

B.
tried miopocket for my 320, liked slimo better, assuming you're on gpspassion.com?

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
tried miopocket for my 320, liked slimo better, assuming you're on gpspassion.com?
Yes. Just getting my feet wet there.

Pretty neat stuff.

B.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pretty Close To Zumo

Gang, thanks for all your help here. It's pretty much down to the Garmin 660, or the Zumo 550 - one of which is 70,000 membership miles, the other is 140,000. I actually have enough miles to get a head unit for my car, the Kenwood DNX-7120 (200,000), which does many many things but might cause someone to break my window! Also, I figure it would be $500 un-recoupable dollars if I sold the car JUST FOR THE INSTALL. So, I'm pretty close to pulling the handle on Zumo. One more question: ANY DOWNSIDE TO THE ZUMO? By nature of it's motorcycle-ness, anything suck about it?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts