StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I realize this question is exceedingly plain and elementary, however, I'm about to break things that I would rather not break.

What is the best way to separate the plastic connectors which are used to "marry" several electrical wires in a bundle together? Such as the one attached to the wires coming out of the bottom rear of my DL650....

Yes, I have dealt with these in the past on my dirt bikes, but had more room to work on the connectors and man handled them. A bit tighter in under the DL650 tank...

Any suggestions or tricks to the trade? I'm sure the grease and grime of having been connected for a while is the problem, but I'd rather not break the connector when I'm trying to separate it to take the tank off.

Thanks!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
All the connectors have a tab lock. Almost all need to have a tab pushed in to release the lock before separating. The front turn signal connectors require the tab to be lifted rather than pressed. Take a look at the connectors at Motorcycle Electric Connectors, cheap worldwide shipping. and maybe you can see how the tabs work.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, even though I'm pressing on the tab the connectors are simply being stubborn and I'm probably being a bit impatient. Just didn't know if there were any little secrets to loosen the connectors once the tab is pressed.

Havn't dealt with the turn signal one yet, so that is good to know! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
This is not necessarily Vstrom specific info...

There are various tools to remove the connector pins from the housings. The FR-150 set on Eastern Beaver's site is expensive but invaluable if you work on this stuff often.

As to the connector housings themselves, some are push, some are pull, and they all take a good visual inspection to figure out which is which.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are correct. Working on my DL650 so this category was on my mind. Just checked out the goods on EB....see what you are talking about.

Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
15,430 Posts
I had the ocassion to learn about the connectors when I dismantled and reassembled my Wee after a nifty crash. The connectors take a bit of coaxing but will come apart. Mine's an 04 so they were a bit stiff from age.
There are tools that allow removal of pins from connectors too. Some care is involved.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yup, even though I'm pressing on the tab the connectors are simply being stubborn and I'm probably being a bit impatient. Just didn't know if there were any little secrets to loosen the connectors once the tab is pressed.

Havn't dealt with the turn signal one yet, so that is good to know! Thanks!
On some of the connectors, the little prong that you push will flex enough that it may not release the catch that's visible through a small rectangular hole. Sometimes I have better luck using a small screw driver either through the hole or on the end of the prong so it can be pushed just a little further. Also, some will release better if you push the connector TOGETHER when you initially push on the release prong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts