StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As noted, do the 650 second gen V-Stroms have 2 plugs per cylinder, or just one. If 2, when did they switch?

thanks!

·
Registered
614 Posts
2 plugs per cylinder was required to meet Euro emissions standards. Which helps to ignite
the fuel more completely for less hydrocarbons. The Catalyst in the exhaust further cleans
the exhaust to meet these tight standards. I don't know of any early versions single plug
head designs. Somebody here likely does know.

Reactions: Solarguy

·
Registered
303 Posts
Don't quote me on this, as I'm no expert like Grey Wolf (RIP!) was, but I believe the early Gen 1s from 2002-2006 were single plug. All subsequent years had the 2-plug head. Speaking strictly about the Wee models--no clue if the big Stroms were the same.

·
Registered
572 Posts
My son's 2006 Wee (1st gen) one plug per cylinder.
My 2008 Wee (1st gen) two plugs per cylinder.
Not sure if any 2nd gen Wee's had single plugs per cylinder.

·
Registered
614 Posts
The change likely occurred when the mandate was revised. More than likely Suzuki held out
with the single plug heads to eat up the stock. Then made the switch to dual plug, Possibly
during a model year.

Reactions: Solarguy

·
Registered
614 Posts
I used to ride a 2001 SV 650 Super nice bike. I traded a 17 foot bowrider for it .
The guys wife rode it but she did not like how top heavy it was. She almost
dropped it a few times so her husband put it up for sale or trade. The only thing it needed
was the carbs gone through. It was coughing at idle. And was sluggish.
So I got it home and pulled the gas tank and flushed it out, Then rebuilt both carbs
with new pilot jets and bumped the mains up to 44. From 38's.
Man I tell you that thing would fly. I also purchased a Delkevic Exhaust for it and it
sounded great. Wife said it had to go, Or I would kill myself on it.
So when it came time to buy a new bike I did not tell her the heart of the Vstrom 650
was actually the Soul of the SV 650. A big reason why I got this bike was for the motor.

Reactions: Gert and Solarguy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, great info here. A related question is when Suzuki switched the bike to fuel injection?

thanks!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Unlike the SV where the early models were produced as carb models then later production as fuel injection models, the K2 Vee and K4 Wee V-Stroms were far ahead for their time in that, they had fuel injection from the get go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts