StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got paid a visit from the mail lady today...time to try em all out..I'll report back.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I did the same tests

but also included a rick mayer.. then FINALLY bought a RUSSELL.. my butt has never been happier... jus sayin

·
Registered
86 Posts
Nice man!! Definitely keeps us up to date...some of us only have enough money to get one seat...so dill us in when you can! :)

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So here is the first installement. I'll talk some about the Suzuki Gel seat. A little background info first. I'm 6ft tall and weigh 290 all geared up. Most riding is 2 up as my wife loves going for rides. She is just a hair under 5ft and a little over 100lbs. So the seat needs to work well for both of us to be a keeper.

I used the gel seat for just under a month and put around 900 miles on it, here are my findings. It seems lower than the stock 650 seat. I imagine the denser foam let's you sit a little lower. The shape of the seat was perfect for me. I no longer slid towards the tank. The drivers seating area seemed less cramped. It also seemed to seperate the driver and passenger a little more which is nice. For me the shape of the seat was a fantastic improvment over stock. The passengers point of view was a little different. She found the extra width of the seat caused her to slide forward on the seat so she could rest comfortably on the pegs.

Let's talk about comfort. It was an improvemet over stock. Not by much though. I found I could ride an hour longer than the stock seat before I started squirming around trying to get comfortable. I added a beadrider cover and this added another hour. For me the main improvment was in the shape of the seat. It made the bike feel roomier and less cramped. Just that alone makes the seat worth the money.

Sent from my phone...please excuse any errors.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm curious about your thoughts on the Sargent too. One may be in my future and some first hand insights would help.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry about the delay. I've been real busy with work and haven't had time to write some about the Sargent...I've got a little free time now so hear goes.

So I bought all these seats off various forum members to test them out. I figured buying used you can't go wrong. What ever I didn't like I'd turn around and resell for someone else to try.

Oddly enough the corbin and Sargent arrived on the same day, it was like Christmas. I'll just talk about the Sargent today. I opened the box and it might as well have been a brand new seat. it was 100% perfect. So that was a nice surprise to start with. I always expect a little wear and tear when buying used items but this had none.

The seat itself is really sharp looking. The carbon fiber pan looks good, the integrated storage tube is a really nice touch as well. What I was most amazed about was the weight. It is so light! I don't have a scale but it might be lighter than stock. Overall the seat exudes quality. The fit and finish is perfect and it's obvious Sargent pays attention to the details. If I bought this seat new from Sargent I'd be very happy. They definitely make a quality product. Ok...well let get this seat onto the bike!

First off the seat slid right on and locked nicely. It actually feels like it was made for the bike...unlike some other aftermarket seats which I will talk about at a later date. I've got the seat on now, time to get the wife and go for a quick 40 minute cruise up to the beach. Right out of the gate here on my initial thoughts on the shake down cruise. The seat has a pretty abrupt drop off at the sides. I had a feeling only half my butt was on the seat. It sorta felt like I was sitting on one of those small picnic table benches. it wasn't uncomfortable but it felt strange. The gel seat was the last seat I tested and that seemed to have a bigger pocket and wider sides. The upside to this steep drop off is that it makes the seat narrower so I can almost flat foot the bike. I'm used to tall bikes but this ability to come near flat footing is really nice. It's one thing to be on tip toes on a sub 300lb dirt bike. It's another thing on a bike thats close to 500lbs. So that was a nice unexpected bonus. The seats passenger/driver set up is good as well. I've got a bad back and having a passenger leaning on me makes it worse. The cut of the seat allows the passenger and driver a nice bit of space between them. My wife approved of the passenger space. It was roomy and didn't slant too much or have large seams. The seat it's self is not hard like a corbin or squishy like stock...my wife described it as feeling like a good supportive mattress vs a squishy cheap mattress. It was comfortable right out of the box. other than the narrow cut which felt strange at first.

I did spend 7 hours in the saddle and I'll talk about the next but I gotta run to work so I'll continue this tonight.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks for the insights, can't wait to hear the rest.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok..on to the ride. For the first long cruise I decided to ride from my house in Charleston down to Savannah. It's just under 3 hours if you take the back roads. The first hour on the bike felt fine. Usually by now the stock seat would be bothering me pretty good. So a definite improvement over stock. By the 2nd hour I was starting to shift around a bit an getting some hot spots. So i pulled over and put on the bead rider seat cover...nice cool buns again...I do love this seat cover. I think it's my favorite farkle by far. By the time we reached Savannah, I was ready to get off the bike. I sarcastically joked to my wife we should ride the rest of the way down to Daytona..I was not in pain like I would be with the stock seat but I was not about to ride around for another 5 hours.

We spent a few hours in Savannah seeing the sites and walking then decided to head back before the afternoon storm blew in. Again it took about two hours for me to start shifting around again. When we got home I was glad to be off the bike. But not in the pain like I would have been in if I tried the trip on the stock seat. My wife mentioned that she didn't really get sore at all. Which makes me think I might just be too heavy for the Sargent. My 290lbs might compress to the foam too much and take away the support.

So in summation, for me it was a great improvement over stock, but didn't give me all day comfort. It fit the bike like a glove, the fit and finish was fantastic, it makes it much easier to flat foot the bike and is shaped well for riding two up. The downside if I had to come up with one is the steep cut at the sides. Like I mentioned earlier it makes you feel as if half your but isn't on the seat. It wasn't really noticeable after a few hours but worth mentioning. For me a seat like this is what the stock seat should be. Not perfect for everyone but rather neutral. If you are trying different seats out I'd try this one before shelling out for a corbin or day-long

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here's my question for you, how tall and how much do you weigh?

What maybe good for a shorter stockier may not be good for a tall person like me

6ft6in 240lbs

TIA

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's my question for you, how tall and how much do you weigh?

What maybe good for a shorter stockier may not be good for a tall person like me

6ft6in 240lbs

TIA
I'm 6ft and 280 all geared up.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,102 Posts
One discovery I found when using a "bucket" type seat, or "tractor" seat, like a Rick Mayer, or Russell, is that they don't really mesh well with the stock riding position. The farther forward one has to lean, the less comfortable these seats are - it's shape supports your butt extremely well, but it also kinda squashes the nuttz area....the human design doesn't exactly mesh well with the front part of these bucket seats. That said, I have a Rick Mayer seat - really some fantastic deals occasionally on his website, which until recently, didn't exactly like that much - I hated feeling like my nuttz were being smushed [I'm 6' at 195lbs]. It was only when I recently installed a handlebar that was 2" taller, which allowed me to sit more upright with a lot less stretch to the bar, that the seat really stopped bothering me, and actually became quite wonderful. I replaced the bar to alleviate some shoulder blade issues, but never even considered how it would actually transform my Rick Mayer seat.

Not sure if you'll go this route, but keep in mind the importance of your upper body positioning, as it does have a huge bearing on your seating comfort.....I'd not thought they were so interrelated until my handlebar swap.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Time for the 3rd and final installment. I bought the corbin off another forum member. It arrived In excellent shape. There was very little wear. The first issue was the fit. The tang that locks the front of the seat down was too long and pressed into the coolant overflow tank. After doing some reasearch on the forum I learned that this was a common issue on 07 and newer bikes. So I cut the tang down by an inch. Still didn't fit well. So back onto the forum for more research. It seems some people got a better fit by removing the middle set of bumpers underneath the seat. So I tried this and the seat didn't fit any better and now it sloped down towards. Back went on the bumpers and this time I removed the entire tang. Now it fit. It still required quite a bit of pressure for it to lock down. It seems people shim on both sides of the lock to take care of this problem.

I gotta say for a seat that costs the best part of $500 the fit is terrible. I know corbins are handmade but this is just silly. If I had bought this seat new I would have sent it back. After all this fitment nonsense I was really hoping the sargent would be the best seat and I could turn around and resell the corbin after testing it....that was not to be.

So the initial fit was a lot different than the sargent. The drivers seating area was very roomy. Unlike the sargent it didn't feel like only half your butt was on the seat. The seat is much wider at the nose. Which is good and bad. Good because you really feel like you are surrounded by the seat, bad because the width makes it more difficult to get your feet on the ground. I'm 6ft but have a 28" inseam and I now am on tip toes. Not the best felling on a 500lb bike. From the passengers perspective the seating area is smaller than the sargent or gel. There is quite a rise at the rear of the seat and this lessens the amount of flat seating.

Alright finally time for a ride report. Initially I went for a few rides that were less than two hours. Couldn't really tell much. There was no soreness so it was better than the stock and gel which both had me sore in less than an hour. But the sargent had worked well on rides for less than two hour as well so these short rides weren't very telling.

Last weekend I got a chance for some real saddle time. I ended up doing 8 hours total in the saddle with an hour break for lunch. To make a long story short the corbin worked. I felt none of the normal pain in the rear that I would after an hour of riding. If I had one complaint it would be the seat gets pretty hot after a few hours of riding. Normally I use a bead rider saddle cover but there is no way I could reach the ground with it installed.

I really wanted to not like the corbin, the bad fit, the fact it makes me have to tip toe, and makes my passengers area smaller were all points against it. But it really works. It made it possible for me to spend all day in the saddle. The stock, gel, and Sargent weren't even close.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thank you for your review. I am trying to decide which way to go as far as a seat is concerned also.

pm sent

John

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I noticed a couple people have sent me PM's. My inbox was full so they all bounced. I just deleted a bunch of old stuff to make room. If you guys wouldn't mind sending those PM's again that would be great.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for sharing your testing of these seats. After reading your reviews I think the sargent is the way to go for me. The corbin sounds comfortable but if it really does make it harder to reach the ground I think its a no-go. Trying to hold a 500lb bike up on my tip toes with the wife on the back is not fun. I'm only 135lbs and 5'7". Thanks for the insight!

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for sharing your testing of these seats. After reading your reviews I think the sargent is the way to go for me. The corbin sounds comfortable but if it really does make it harder to reach the ground I think its a no-go. Trying to hold a 500lb bike up on my tip toes with the wife on the back is not fun. I'm only 135lbs and 5'7". Thanks for the insight!
you could probably get away with the corbin if you added lowering links. I didn't go that route because I have a peg lowering kit and a center stand. I don't think you can safely lower the bike with those items installed.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts