StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one who see's no difference in the comfort level between the Suzuki Gel Seat and the Stock seat (DL-1000) - if it hadn't come with the bike I would be totally disappointed.

The stock seat on these bikes is pretty darn good from my experience so far.

A stock Honda Shadow seat by comparison was a crippler after a couple 40 minutes rides - couldn't even get on the bike the next day it was so bad.....fixed by Mustang for a very high price.

I am thinking of getting the Gel seat re-cut and foamed so I can sit a little further back in the saddle - I saw a guy in Florida that does it for real reasonable prices.

Anyone have there stock seats redone - likes-dislikes?

·
Registered
163 Posts
It is of course none of my business, however, if I did not want the gel seat, I would sell it and use a stock seat to modify.

I got the get seat last week and just did a 1453km day in it. I find it made a huge difference over the 650 stock.

I have never tried the 1000 stock, so I cannot compare it.

I expect you should have no problem selling the gel seat.

Blessings,

Christopher.

·
I rock at logic
368 Posts
I notice a big difference between my stock 650 seat and the gel seat, especially when it comes to the pressure on the family jewels. The gel seat is flatter, taller, and I can sit further back.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Leave the bike in the sun all day and you will certainly discover one major difference (hint: something in the gel seat gets hot). Makes for one tough ride home from work.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sounds like it might be worth my time to at least look at a gel seat.

Just wait until Bostrom discovers the motorcycle market. Air-ride, anyone? :lol:

·
Administrator
16,990 Posts
Very big difference......but yes the sun will boil your butt.:p I just throw a towel over it, and go about my business. I am going to get the Sargent seat in the near future, so I'll be selling my gel. It was a very worthwhile purchase, but I need something even more long distance worthy.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
I went from stock to Gel. The quality of the seat is 2x better, and its a bit higher. BUT! I did not notice a big comfort difference. It went from being a 30 min seat, to a 1 hour seat. I still get pains in the same place, just later. Im ultimatly going to get a Bill Mayers.

·
Registered
674 Posts
The Gel seat was way more comfortable than the stock 650 seat to me, but I had a custom seat made and now 500 mile days are not an issue.
My Gel seat is for sale in the classifieds.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have never owned the gel seat for the Strom but have owned them in the past. I hate them. The gel heats up and never cools down. It will burn your butt. The other thing about get is it does not breath at all. Even on cool days if things get sweaty at all it will stay that way for the whole ride. Daylong is my seat of choice. Sometimes you really do get what you pay for.

·
Registered
141 Posts
But there is a big difference between $400 for a Rick Mayer and Sargent. I think Gel seats are $150. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
When I had my 06 Wee Strom, I went from the stock seat, to the Corbin, to the Sargent, and finally the Gel Seat.

The Gel Seat was hands down the ugliest of the four, but for me anyway, it was far and away the most comfortable.

Though in fairness, I only had the Sargent for about a week when I made the decision to sell the bike.

~Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts