StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
Since I am in Australia it's hard to find hi quality seats in decent price. From the search here I found that many prefer the gel seat and a sheepskin or Alaska skin cover.
What kind of gel seat? A complete seat like this:
VSTROM 650 1000 NEW GEL SEAT DL1000 DL650 DL 650 1000 | eBay

Or gel pads?

That said if you can recommend a good seat for DL 650 then please do.
I am 6'2 tall inseam 32".
Cheers
Micha

·
Registered
541 Posts
Stock gel seat is a 100% improvement over stock, and all I need. It will get pretty hot if left uncovered in the sun, eventually breaking down the cover if you are not careful.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
agreed, the stock seat on my 07 dl1000 was torture at 30 minutes, but a suzuki gel seat aquired here, used, and a sheep skin pad was good for all day traveling. Jury is still out on the seat on my new one.

·
Premium Member
Former 2x DL650 owner; moved onto Super Tenere ES
522 Posts
agreed, the stock seat on my 07 dl1000 was torture at 30 minutes, but a suzuki gel seat aquired here, used, and a sheep skin pad was good for all day traveling. Jury is still out on the seat on my new one.
Agreed the Suzuki gel seat is the Best Buy, particularly for your 6'2" height. But I think the Suzuki gel seat is good, not fantastic. The stock seat is way too low for me also. The gel seat adds about an inch or so (to legroom). On other bikes I have had Corbin and Sargent seats and the Suzuki gel seat is 90% as good and a definite Best Buy. The Alaska Sheepskin cover is also nice and dissipates the summer heat. On very long 300+ mile days I also add the Airhawk inflatable seat cushion which is a real treat to have (and u can use it forever on any bike).

Avoid the Mayer seats IMO. I have read many bad reviews for years and even recently about their seats no living up to their promise.

Price no object (as if that will ever happen), I would get a Russell Day Long which I have heard is easily good enough for multiple 1000 mile days for most riders. Granted many elite endurance riders have done more with less, but I know I wouldn't!

·
Registered
574 Posts
My gel was much more comfortable on my but. But my right hip hurts after about an hour. I think this is peticular to me though. Probably an upcoming hip problem.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'l have my Seat Concepts seat tomorrow. Hopefully get it put together in a day or so. I'll post up after a few rides.

·
$Whatever$
1,598 Posts
Be forwarned............ If it's over 100 degrees out you REALLY need to cover the seat.... I forgot and Damm it roasted my buns......:jawdrop:

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
I'm 6'2 and 32" inseam also. I use the Suzuki Tall Touring saddle. If you can get the gel seat, you should be able to get this one. It's about $200 in the US.

It's 40mm taller than the OEM DL650, 15mm thicker than the DL1000 seat.

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
I cut out the factory foam on my 1000 Man-Strom seat and replaced it with a big " Gel Pad" and pulled back the stock cover and stapled it closed..
Biggest comfort was cutting out the angle the stock seat forces you in.. Just making it level was a great help in comfort..

·
Registered
180 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
We haven't had close to 100 degrees where I am yet but I can confirm that 80 degrees all day in the sun is enough to make it uncomfortable. Also, in my experience, when the seat gets hot it gets softer and is less comfortable. I'm going to try a beaded seat cover as well as used Corbin and see if either work.

Still, for the price, its a huge improvement over the stock seat.

Be forwarned............ If it's over 100 degrees out you REALLY need to cover the seat.... I forgot and Damm it roasted my buns......:jawdrop:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Gel seat plus sheep skin. Warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. If it rains hard, the sheepskin comes off, or it will become a sponge.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts