StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still practicing on the wee. have been hitting the parking lot 4x per week to practice turning circles, and figure 8's. also turning my head and going where I want to go. I am also trying to get comfortable going faster than 40mph. I try and stick to the small back roads, but still have cars backed up behind me with some frequency.
Looking for advice regarding what is the best gear to get up to speed. I know it's isn't first, but what does everyone do to accelerate quickly to cruising speed?

I know I will eventually figure it out, but still I value the Seasoned veterans opinion.

Thanks

Yankeepac

:confused:

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
get up to speed

for goodness sake - use the gears in sequence - thats what gear boxes were originally designed for - when motors were small and weak

when you are going fast enough you will know it

don't obsess on this topic - the Wee has enough torque to bail you out in many situations

·
Registered
267 Posts
accelerate to your desired speed by letting the WEE pull out to between 4000-5000RPM's then shift up to the next gear. It loves to pull out and even 4Kto 6K will reward you with a big grin under your helmet. :biggrinjester:

These motors are high RPM twins, where as a H.D. signs off at 4500-5000RPM our L-90 motors just come alive at these RPM's. ... and start to run.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Yankeepac: what do you do in your car?
Other than being sequential, the gearbox works liek any other gearbox.
Even if you drive an automatic, you should have figured out how it works by now; maybe turn the radio down next time you drive...

·
Registered
15,438 Posts
I find myself short shifting. I go from 1st to 3rd and then jump to 5th. I rarely go over 5K rpm.
Keith Code suggested red line as being the proper place to shift but that's on the track.
I used to like to bounce the rev limiter on my 1100 Beemer on Freeway on ramps. I was always going plenty many fast when I merged with traffic.:yesnod:
I don't feel the need to rev the Wee as much but it is willing to do so when requested.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
yankeepac, sounds like you are a very new rider and that you are working at developing your comfort level with riding. The parking lot exercises can only take you so far. I would suggest that 4x a week is maybe too much after a week or two. But coming back once a week is not such a bad idea. In addition to your turns, practice braking - a critical skill. If you haven't already done so, take an MSF course which can help build skills and confidence. And then, keep doing what you are doing, get out on the road, avoiding traffic areas, and always, ride your own ride. Don't let the cars behind you mess with your mind - you need to be focused on where you are going. Pull over where it is safe, let 'em go by and get going again.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I am still practicing on the wee. have been hitting the parking lot 4x per week to practice turning circles, and figure 8's. also turning my head and going where I want to go. I am also trying to get comfortable going faster than 40mph. I try and stick to the small back roads, but still have cars backed up behind me with some frequency.
Looking for advice regarding what is the best gear to get up to speed. I know it's isn't first, but what does everyone do to accelerate quickly to cruising speed?

I know I will eventually figure it out, but still I value the Seasoned veterans opinion.

Thanks

Yankeepac

:confused:

What I do all depends on how much of a hurry I am which quite often, I never am so when I am getting up to speed such as an on ramp, I will shift to the next gear between 5K and 6K.

Shifting too low is no good.

Wait, I don't think I answered your question. You know you will have to pretty much use 1-5 to get up to highway speed so as for a single gear... there isn't one.

·
Administrator
17,260 Posts
If you haven't taken a motorcycle safety course, you really need to. How familiar are you even with a motorcycle, if you are riding that scared you will get yourself and others hurt IMHO. You are doing some things right, but you are thinking way too much.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Find an empty road and run through the gears, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, brake down and shift to 2nd, brake & shift to first, up to second, 3rd, etc. Run it up to something between 3000 & 4000 for the 1-2 shift with easy throttle, and between 4k & 5k with easy throttle for the 2-3 shift. Practice, practice, practice. Shift by the sound of the engine, not by looking at the tach. When you're at 5000 in 3rd on an empty road, upshift to 4th and take that to 5000. Slow & downshift to 3rd, etc.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the input all, and yes I am a beginner, just trying to get a feel for everything. I did take the MSF class, and according to the instructors did pretty good, but as you know, you rarely get over 3rd gear, and never go above 30 on the course.
Perhaps I am over thinking everything, I do know that I go up the gears sequentially, just wasn't fully clear of how high to rev up on the tach before up-shifting. As Doug mentioned different bikes have different tachometer recommendations. I also don't have a buddy in my area to practice with, yet, so part of the questions are directed to you all.
Thanks duck for the crack about the radio; perhaps with time I'll grow to like your sense of humor, unlikely, but given enough time, who knows. :thumbup:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just do it

yankeepac just get on to the road and ride, thats the only way you will get any confidence. When i got my 2011 wee in February i hadn't ridden properly for 30 years and i had to ride the wee home, which was 110kms away. I had hills, country and city roads to travel and it was the best thing i could have done. Three months and 3000kms later i'm a much better rider but am always aware of other traffic on the road.

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
It's all FEEL. As a newbie, you are embarking on developing that ability - don't get frustrated. Most riders shift based on what the engine sounds like, the level of vibration, and the degree of commotion coming from the engine room! If you're looking at the tach to see when to shift, you're not looking at the ROAD!!!

You'll know if you're stuck in one gear too long, or one gear too big - the Wee is very forgiving in that regard.

FYI - the parking lot and MSF classes will NOT prepare you for the first time you ride down a deserted country road and enter and S-bend section. My newbie buddy, veteran of both MSF and Parking lot tooling round, freaked out and could not complete the S-bend and exited the road, lucky for him it was a farmer's field (the only one without the barbed wire fencing!!). Most MSF classes do not prepare the students for "at speed" road peculiarities, so be mindfull of S-bends (chicanes), decreasing radius curves, compound curves, blind rises, etc.......MSF is great, but it does not turn a chicken into a hawk.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The shifting rpms vary by the load you put on the engine. If you're riding slow and easy on the level and just have the throttle cracked, you can shift as low as 2500 or 3000 rpm. If you're climbing a hill, you need higher rpms before shifting. If you're passing a car on the road, you need a lot higher rpms. If you want, you can run up to 9,000 or 10,000 rpm before shifting, altho shifting at about 8,000 probably gives the most power and quickest times.

Our bikes are very tolerant. You will develop a feel for how to run the engine smoothly and get the power you need for any particular circumstance. Just DO NOT KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE TACH! You need to watch the road and the traffic around you and shift by feel and sound.

Look all around at every car and every place a car can come from to hit you. Look where you need to go on the road. Spot road hazards, then look where you need to go. Point your chin at the exit to each turn so you're looking where you need to go with your eyes level. Listen and feel how your engine is responding--you'll get the feel for shifting to get the performance you want. The engine hums at about 5000-5500 rpm when you're on the highway--you'll feel it.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
[...]
Thanks duck for the crack about the radio; perhaps with time I'll grow to like your sense of humor, unlikely, but given enough time, who knows. :thumbup:
Yeah, don't worry about it. I don't mean any harm; I just got a weird sense of humour, but I'm fairly nice once you get to see past that.

So here's the good news: once you're in third gear, you can do pretty much anything you want at legal speeds; don't worry about shifting so much.

Just keep the rpms between 3,500 and 10,000. You'll get a feel for it eventually. I assume your car is equipped with the slushbox.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
This may not help, but here goes.

Spin the back tire, lock the back tire, try and stand the bike on it's nose, accelerate hard, slide into corners ... be aggressive... do it when there's no traffic close by. Condition your reflexes for when it's needed. You've got to know the limits of your bike and riding skills when it matters. This applies to everyone, not just you.

Some will disagree, but it's kept my skin off the road for a while.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
This may not help, but here goes.

Spin the back tire, lock the back tire, try and stand the bike on it's nose, accelerate hard, slide into corners ... be aggressive... do it when there's no traffic close by. Condition your reflexes for when it's needed. You've got to know the limits of your bike and riding skills when it matters. This applies to everyone, not just you.

Some will disagree, but it's kept my skin off the road for a while.
And you've been riding too long and you forgot (or you're too drunk to remember) that you weren't doing this in your first ever week of riding.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Hopefully you are young enough :yesnod:
Since you are practicing in parking lots, video yourself if you can to make sure you are doing it correctly as in videos on the net.
Look up apexing motorcycle turns, motorcycle throttle control, and Keith Code videos on line. You may want to purchase some of his videos and books also.
It's important in your stage of the game to learn and practice correctly as to not develop bad habits.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
start in first, then go to third, then when you are really up there in Rev's, go back down to second.

Repeat as nessesary until your windshield has knocked some sense into you...

:fineprint:

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
start in first, then go to third, then when you are really up there in Rev's, go back down to second.

Repeat as nessesary until your windshield has knocked some sense into you...

:fineprint:
Uh...
If you're redlining the bike in third (is that what you mean by "really up there in Rev's"?), I wouldn't advise going down to second, lest you snap a rod...

·
Registered
900 Posts
To answer your question, yankeepac, I've noticed that third gear is where I can really accelerate and get up to cruising speed. First gear shoots me outta the gun barrel, second keeps the momentum going but it's third gear where I really feel the (fun) acceleration.

The more you ride the more comfortable and confident you will become. So get out and ride whenever you can. When I first returned to riding a coupla years ago, I stuck to back-BACK country roads AND went out of my way to avoid having to stop on an incline for a traffic light or stop sign. I was also afraid to ride through urban areas and to get on interstates. But the more I rode, the more I found myself riding through those situations I had tried so hard to circumvent and - lo and behold - I've lived to tell about it.

So get out there and ride! One of these days you're gonna be saying to yourself "I can't believe how much fun this is!"

Be safe!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts