StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have good experiences with changing the front sprocket on the 1000? Sixth gear seems useless under about 80 mph, so I was thinking about going 2-3 teeth down in the front, for some more usable torque. Bike is new, so I haven’t worked on it yet. So:

What have your changed to, and is it an easy swap? Thanx in advance… Doug.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
dchatfie said:
Anyone have good experiences with changing the front sprocket on the 1000? Sixth gear seems useless under about 80 mph, so I was thinking about going 2-3 teeth down in the front, for some more usable torque. Bike is new, so I haven’t worked on it yet. So:

What have your changed to, and is it an easy swap? Thanx in advance… Doug.
Interesting......I've been thinking about going up 1 tooth on the countershaft or down maybe two on the rear because I'm always looking for one more gear (in 6th) above 80mph.

btw 2 or 3 teeth down on the front would be REAL RADICAL, not to mention shortening up the wheelbase some.

·
Registered
199 Posts
really

you are looking for MORE gear on a DL1000? I find it pretty much loafing along at 80!! I had thought about going down a tooth or two on the counter shaft, but then I figured and found that even loafing at 80, it still has plenty of grunt to move ya,

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Re: really

Swedge said:
you are looking for MORE gear on a DL1000? I find it pretty much loafing along at 80!! I had thought about going down a tooth or two on the counter shaft, but then I figured and found that even loafing at 80, it still has plenty of grunt to move ya,

Mine's just a little 6FIddy. . . .
not a BIG Liter bike. :D

I shoulda noted that in my post. . . . :oops:

M

·
0 Posts
If you drop 1 tooth in the front (16T) you have a 6% gear reduction. A 15T would be a 13% gear reduction. You would also have a 6% & 13% Speedo & mileage error. 10k miles would indicate 11,300 miles with a 15T.

I wouldn't go below a 15T (a tighter radius causes more stress on the chain).

If the bike has enough low end - leave it stock and use 6th as an overdrive - - - 5 gears is all you need with that torque.

I guess A 15T front would be fun for 2nd gear wheelies!

Try the 16T first - should not have to drop a link.

Tom

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx

I appreciate the comments, especially the higher mileage on the spedo. I guess I am not appreciating the extra gear (this is my first 6-speed). I am going to leave it stock for now. Thanx again for the comments, ya kept me from making a hasty swap. Doug.

W

·
0 Posts
I've been toying with the idea of going to a 16-tooth on the countershaft, too. The speedo/odo error is the only thing that has been stopping me. If I change the sprocket (cheap) I'll also have to get a Yellowbox (expensive) to correct the error. Then, I'd have to choose which to correct, speedo or odo. Either can be corrected, but not both. I wonder how hard it would be to retrofit a front wheel speedo pickup (from a 650) on to a DL1000...??? I feel like 6th gear is basically useless, and even more low-end oomph would be loads of fun! :twisted:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
playing around with gears

I realize what I didn't like about 6th gear. When in it at about 70 mph, it's in the 3500 rpm range. That is not a good place in the rpm range on this bike, because it tends to hick-up and surge (kind of feels like being between jets on a carb. bike.). At my 600 mile service, I am going to ask that they remap the injection to richen the mix at 3500.

To test out my thoughts, I shifted into 5th at 35mph, and the motor had plenty of power to pull under 3k. So it's not a torque issue, but an injection issue.

I am going to leave it, at least until I get that 600 mile service. Doug.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello;
I experienced the same problem with my '05 1000, which is, 6th too high and 5th too low (for speeds in the 70-75mph range). So I went to a 16t driveshaft sprocket and it seemed to clear up the problem. I can leave it it 6th for 95% of my freeway time and not worry about upshift/downshift all the time.

I installed (had installed) a Yellowbox speedo correction device and I am set. Since the odo and the speedo are directly related, I now know how fast I am really going and how far I am really going, not to mention an accurate read on fuel mileage.

I recommend the sprocket change. It's cheap ($30 or so) and can easily be changed back if you don't like it.

Jack

·
Registered
255 Posts
Jack Roten said:
I recommend the sprocket change. It's cheap ($30 or so) and can easily be changed back if you don't like it.

Jack
Jack, did you change the sprocket yourself? If so, are there any problems/tricks to removing the cover and hydralic hose to the clutch, etc?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the c/s sprocket installed by a local mechanic. I do not think that it was difficult to do as the whole job was done in 1/2 hour.

I am still using the 16t and find that it cured my 6th gear problems.

Good luck!

Jack

1 - 11 of 11 Posts