StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI – When commuting to work today, I started to down shift to stop and low and behold, my gear shifter fell off! It remained dangling on the bike with the brake light adjuster. When I pulled over to investigate, I found that the bolt portion that attaches to the foot peg bracket had come lose and fell off. I was able to get it back on and re-tighten.

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up to make sure that this bolt is checked for tightness, so that this unpleasant event does not happen to you. I’m putting this bolt tightening routine into my maintenance procedures. You don't “see” the bolt when looking straight at the shifter because it is on the backside of the shifter. You have to literally get underneath the bike to see the thin both that allows you to tighten the threads. A wrench thin enough to fit between the foot peg bracket and the shifter is required. I still have to tighten mine when I get home, because the tool kit wrench is to fat, and does not allow you to tighten completely. I tightened as far as I could with the wrench, but then had to use the cheap pliers that came with the kit because the nose on them was thin enough to get the bolt hand tight.

There was no warning signs, as the bike was shifting fine before it happened. Bike is a lovely blue DL1000K5 (fastest color, when shifter is attached!)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This has nothing to do with the spline attachment. That piece of the puzzle was fine and intact!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mine fell off too. What you need to do is remove the clip and shifter to get to the bolt. My son was riding when it happened. He rode about a mile home. The end lever was bent in a little bit. I'm happy that it didn't break it.
Make sure you put some loctite on there when you tighten it back down.

Tom, it's the pivot bolt on the frame, not the linkage or shifter shaft.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dan. Sounds like the way to go to get this bolt tightened properly. I'll take the clip off, remove the shifter to get to the bolt properly. Loctite on the treads and hunker down the bolt and I should be set.

My shifter bent a bit on the base too, where the brake light attches. Hopefully, it will straighten up a bit for me without breaking.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Make sure you use a finely calibrated elbow torque wrench when you tighten it. That was my biggest concern. Stripping the bugger. A good oomph ought to do ya. I think it's 15mm. Be careful trying to bend the lever. I think it's some kind of an alloy, ie: brittle! I was trying to bend my lever back until that thought struck. I suppose one or two perfectly timed bounces off the street will bend it but not a hammer/lever. The good news was I raised it some while I had it apart. Much better for boots.

It would be nice to have a folding lever. I wonder if anyone makes one?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
360 Posts
dan-c said:
Tom, it's the pivot bolt on the frame, not the linkage or shifter shaft.
Yeah. I finally took a look at my shifter and figured out what was going on. The bits and pieces get jumbled up in my head unless I'm actually looking at the bike or a diagram. Looks like I'll finally get to use the snap-ring pliers I picked out of the $4 box at Tractor Supply. :!:

Anyone know, offhand, what the proper torque is?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Please Help

This exact same thing happened to me today. I was driving to work and the gear shifter fell off the bike, it is dangling there. I lost the bolt though. What do I need to do to get a new bolt? Does anyone know?

Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
what size wrench fits the shifter bolt that goes into the frame? 16mm?

I took my shifter off to grease the pivot and while I was at it attempted to check/tighten the frame bolt, it won't budge but I was using a large cresent wrench which is all I had that would fit the odd ball bolt size. A 15mm would not work and a 17mm was too big. mine seems tight very tight, for now.

'06 DL650

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Be careful trying to bend the lever. I think it's some kind of an alloy, ie: brittle! I was trying to bend my lever back until that thought struck. I suppose one or two perfectly timed bounces off the street will bend it but not a hammer/lever.
The best way I've found to bend them back is to put them into my bench vise and heat it up with a propane torch. Not too hot, just to the point where you can't touch it, although too hot is better than too cold. Then just bip it with a mallet. No slow bending, sudden jolts work best.

It was explained to me that a slow bend is what stresses and breaks the metal, but sudden jolts cause less fatigue. I'm no welder or metalurgist, but I've tried this method numerous times with other m/c's and it's always worked great.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
BTW, after reading this and other threads about this problem I checked mine and found it tight. So, since I had it apart, I just put some blue loctite on it anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts