StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Vendor
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many thanks to the beta testers who helped with this project.

Our gear shift relocation kit will go on our website in the next 24 hours or so. It will be available as both part of our foot peg and control lowering kit and as an upgrade for people that already have our foot peg and control lowering kit.

Here is a sneak peak.

Stock set up.

With kit installed.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
As one of the beta testers, I can tell you that this is a really nice improvement for those of us with big feet!

Installation took all of 30 minutes, and that included gathering the necessary tools, and putting them away when finished. Shifting is now accomplished with the heel of my boot hooked comfortably on the peg, rather than sliding my foot back a bit to hit the shifter with the proper point in the toe of the boot. I honestly didn't realize what a difference such a simple thing can make to the comfort of the ride, it has just been something I've always had to do.

I've got a couple of other bikes, and as I mentioned to Rick, the only trouble with this is that now I need to find a way to do the same to them! :thumbup:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hooray. I put my order in. Since it wasn't listed in the "Parts by Bike" listings yet, I added the year/model to the paypal comments in case there is a difference.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I want folks to know that in the pics Rick posted, those are my feet and for reference I a wearing a size 15 Sidi boot, which is a pretty trim and tight fitting boot, and the Stormtrooper boot is a Size 16 Tech7 (yikes).

While I can certainly ride the bike with my Sidi's, it was IMPOSSIBLE with the Tech7s, and no amount of stock adjustment will work, it is just plain unsafe IMO.

But with Rick's new adaptor, you can see a more relaxed foot position and sufficient clearance even with a full-on moto boot.

The install is quick, simple and all the parts are well made. Putting the lever more forward actually gives you better control of the adjustment IMO, so you have more options than with stock (not sure why, but it has something to do with the location of the two axes of operation for the lever relative to the gear shift bolt sticking out of the bike). I found I could also adjust the lever higher than stock and clear the engine case more as well.

You can also guess that along with size 15/16 feet I got inseam to match (38") so the extra 1 inch lowering of the pegs really helps to move my knees back and off my engine guards, and along with a (planned) custom seat will get my legs more under me as they should be on a Strom, rather than out in front as if I am riding a cruiser. All positive things for taller riders on the Strom.

Another great product from Rick.

·
Vendor
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a Gear Shift Relocation 2.0 in the works. It adds multi-point adjustability to accommodate both medium and large shoe sizes. The adjustment range will add even more room for larger boot sizes (e.g., 15, 16) than the existing model and add just the right amount of room for medium sizes (e.g., 10 , 11, or 12) and everything in between.

Expect pics this today.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm currently installing these on my 07 wee. I've run into a bit of a snag though. There aren't any instructions for the gear shift relocation. I've used the peg lowering instructions up to the point where something else needs to be done.

If any of the beta testers see this, could you pass along the instructions Rick gave you? I'm hoping to get this finished soon.

·
Vendor
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
We have an installation video. I didn't post it initially because of concerns about intellectual property theft by unethical people. You know the type. They let you do all the design work and then cash in.

The video is now posted. I will make a new one tomorrow. Please do not hesitate to call me if you have questions.

My cell is 509-539-2288. We answer just about any time of the day, but please remember we are in Pacific time.

The version to accommodate US shoe sizes 10 to 12 is now available on our website.

·
Vendor
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
We have both versions of the gear shift relocation kit available now.

Addition: I went for a ride today to check out the new multi-point relocation design. My size 10 boot had always been just a little too big for the stock shifter set up. It seemed that I was catching the shifter with the side instead of the top of my boot. With the new adjustable gear shift relocation kit set up for the minimum extension on my Vee2 (actually the second set of holes on the extension) all was comfortable. The shifter hit the boot right where it should.

The adjustable relocation plate has four sets of holes. Not all are usable on all models, because the peg is further forward in relation to the stock foot peg mounting plate points than the two DL650s and the V1. The other models will have a wider range of adjustment than the Vee2. So I'm comfortable that people with US Size 10 boots up to and including size 16 can benefit from the kits.

It may be that US size 9 boots could benefit as well, but that hasn't been proven yet, and it would be limited to the Vee1, Glee, and Wee.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I put some miles on the bike today with the Gear Shift Relocation and Peg Lowering installed. My V-Strom finally lost the Toy-Bike feeling that I got everytime I had to swing my foot around to shift.

As usual, Rick's items are well crafted and look like they are OEM equipment. This modification was a bit more advanced than the others I've purchased from Rick (Fork Brace and GPS mount) but it was a very straight-forward install with the instructions and with the right tools. Breaking the thread-locker on the stock bolts was the only step that required a tool that not everyone will have, a large hammer and an impact driver.

It took a few short rides to make the proper adjustments, I found that with the lower pegs and the altered position on the shifter, that the stock angle was a bit too high. The adjustment on the shift linkage provided enough movement to get it in the right spot.

Overall, another well thought out and well made product from Adventure Tech that is easily worth the price.

·
Vendor
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Owyn,

Many thanks for the feedback. Much time and effort went into making this a simple cost effective solution. It's really gratifying hearing that that it works well.

Regarding removing the stock bolts, an impact driver is a good way to go, but most of us can get by with a hex drive socket and a ratchet or breaker bar.

In a pinch at gatherings I've used an Allen wrench with the stock tool kit screw driver handle to get extra leverage.

richlandrick

·
Registered
116 Posts
Post 200 mile update

I have the gear relocation and lowering kit from Rick. I have size 15/16 feet. Have finished multiple rides in all styles and have this update.

The kit rocks! Stable and solid, more comfort, proper clearance. Easy install.

I have the lever set up for my Tech7's, but I have only tested the setup with my Sidi street boots, so there is a little more room than I need, but it is actually nice because I can shift my foot around during the ride and clear the lever without having to point my toes outward.

I actually ride with the lever near my toes, but when I want shift I move my foot forward to get a solid preload on the lever for solid shifting with a clean click.

Now that I feel confident and solid with the rig, I will break in my Tech7s (in size 16, these are the largest boots for MC riding on the planet) and let you all know how that works out.

·
Vendor
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Based on feedback from early installations we have revised the gear shift relocation options. There will be now two adjustable versions. One for boot sizes 10 to 13 and another for size 13 to 16+.

The larger size adjustable has an adjustment range slightly greater than our original single place unit.

If you wear a boot size larger than 17 we might be convinced to make you a custom plate if you try the kit and a larger size is needed. I'll be updating Adventuretech website tonight.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I was one of the beta testers for the original version; with aftermarket footpegs, my installation is the first picture in this thread. Upon initial installation, I was pleased with just being able to slip my toe under the shifter without sliding my foot fore or aft as has just been the norm I've accepted over the years.

After riding with the change for a few weeks and many miles, I realized it was just too far forward for me, using much more of the forward part of my big toe for upshifting than was comfortable. Sure, I could slide my foot forward on the peg a bit, but what was the point of that? It was, after all, what I was looking to change.

I sent Rick a note, letting him know that it just wasn't working for me, and that I was going to send it back, and return to the regular lowering plate. He was quite surprised! (I have size 15 feet, and wear Alpinestar Web-goretex boots in a Euro 49.) He told me to keep it, and if I was interested, he now had an adjustable plate option he would send me. I said sure, I'd be interested in giving it a try.

Same easy installation, I had everything swapped in about 30 minutes. I haven't measured, but I think this brings the shifter back about a half inch from the most forward option. It is right where I need it now. As I mentioned to Rick, my experience may have to do with the pegs I have on, they being set back just a bit from the stock.

In any case, still a great product, in fact even better than before, and a good, honest guy with which to do business.

:thumbup:

Based on feedback from early installations we have revised the gear shift relocation options. There will be now two adjustable versions. One for boot sizes 10 to 13 and another for size 13 to 16+.

The larger size adjustable has an adjustment range slightly greater than our original single place unit.

If you wear a boot size larger than 17 we might be convinced to make you a custom plate if you try the kit and a larger size is needed. I'll be updating Adventuretech website tonight.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts