StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Vendor
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I could use a couple of beta testers for my new gear shift relocation kit.

Requirements for free beta test kits: :fineprint:

Large shoe size and currently having trouble shifting
Have already installed the Adventuretech foot peg and control lowering kit
at least average mechanical skills
some motivation and willingness to install and test parts promptly

I could use five testers, one each with...
Vee1,
Wee up to 2007,
Wee 2008 to 2011,
Glee,
and Vee2.

A later version will be available (if needed) for people that do not need a "foot peg and control lowering kit." I'm guessing that most people that would need the gear shift relocation would benefit from the peg and control lowering, but I'll respond to requests.

·
Registered
116 Posts
02 Vee. Your lowering kit is in the mail (due this week).

Size 15 in my Sidi riding boots, but the real target is fitting my size 16 Tech7's on the bike.

Was going to order my touratech lever but they are on backorder so I am stuck with the stock lever for now.

Are you going to look at a folding tip on your lever (eventually or first proto?).

Glad to help. If you can fit size 16 tech7s and handle down to a size 12/13 you should have something pretty amazing to offer.

It seems to me that a two part design with holes to allow for length adjustment is the simplest effective trick. The other issue is clearing the engine on up shifting if you attach to the splined post off the engine.

Even three parts, which folding tip, midshaft extension, and splined base section......you can sell whatever parts are the most appropriate for the rider (no folding tip, or with folding tip, longer and shorter extension kits, kits with a center piece with an angle in it, etc.) And for trail riders.....if you crash and twist it up, make the extension the part that fails....easy to carry a backup part on the bike, repair on the fly and keep riding......they should make the brake lever the same way (by the way....why doesn't anyone make brake pedals??? is it liability issues?).

Those stock linkages have so much slop in them!!! I was doing some slow hill climb (on paved goat trails) the other day in mostly 2nd gear and the linkage and slop got me in trouble a few times when I had to go to first and back....ended up in neutral a few times (when I needed torque!). Vee's in general have too large a movement from 1st to 2nd IMO, too easy to select neutral. I suspect that linkage doesn't help and with big boots you won't feel the slight click on that upshift anyway.

FYI, I am a mechanical engineer, structural reliability and simulations is my trade. Would be glad to help you out/consult....no cost for trading thoughts....home grown businesses have to be supported.

Marc from Norcal

·
Vendor
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Maz,

Thanks for the kind offer. I appreciate the spirit in which is was made.

Everyone,

These problems are enormous and seemingly unsolvable until someone spends the time necessary to come up with a solution so simple it seems anyone could have done it. Efforts like this will die unless the community enforces some kind of ethic to promote innovation.

The kit will relocate the shifter 1.75" forward re-using the stock hardware on most models. For those with larger shoes and trouble shifting, think of it as locating your existing shifter where you would have wanted it in the first place.

Rick

·
Vendor
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Been making slow progress over the last four days. I'm almost there.

Oddly enough, just as the foot peg and control lowering kit benefits people with even average sized legs (my 30" inseam for instance), this mod feels good with my size 10 feet.

Still a little work to be done.

Edit,

Just went for a ride. Feels really good.

Second edit. Pictures deleted to prevent further theft.

·
Vendor
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have made multiple versions and have come up with a working design. An instruction video has been made. Four prototypes are going to riders that have volunteered to test the prototype.

For anyone following this thread, I just saw a duplicated copy of our mirror extender design. Not just any extenders, copies of our design including the farkle extensions.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have made multiple versions and have come up with a working design. An instruction video has been made. Four prototypes are going to riders that have volunteered to test the prototype.

For anyone following this thread, I just saw a duplicated copy of our mirror extender design. Not just any extenders, copies of our design including the farkle extensions.
yes....I noticed that....VERY disappointing :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Gear lever extended

Been annoyed by gear lever not being long enough to give space for by boots. Took lever off, took it to shed cut it in half and welded a 3/4" (19mm) piece of flat steel into the gap, reshaped fill in metal with an angle grinder, let it cool, quick coat of black paint, only took 40 minutes. It looks like it belongs there and no more problems with changing gears. I love it when a project works like it should.:hurray:

·
Vendor
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I love projects also. :thumbup:

If you have the equipment and skills, or know someone who does, and your shift lever is made of steel, it's not that hard to cut and weld in an insert so that your shifter fits you exactly. However, most of the V-Strom sold have aluminum shift levers. While it can still be done, far fewer people have the equipment and skills to weld aluminum successfully.

This particular project is for guys looking for a bolt on solution that can be taken back to stock if they choose. For example when they sell the bike. It has the added benefit of not increasing the required shifter travel.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Sorry

I have a 2012 Glee with steel gear lever with the linkages, did not know that the Wee had an aluminium ( Australian spelling ) gear lever. Good luck finding solution to your dilema.

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
Rick I have your lowering peg kit and sz 13's. First thing I did was buy the steel folding Vstroma shifter lever which is about an inch & a half longer than the stock aluminium one. I could barely shift at all with the oem one....quit possibly the worst shift lever for big feet that I have ever experienced. So, I think you are onto something with this shifter mod....

·
Vendor
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went for another ride today checking out the repositioned shifter. About 1/3 interstate and 2/3rds in town. Lot's of shifting.

The shifting was at least as good as stock, but the shifter felt so much better even with my size 10 boots. It's a little too big for me, but should be excellent for anyone size 12 and up.

I'm going to try to do another design that only moves the shifter forward about 1.25" instead of the almost 2" of the current version.

I'll keep that one for myself.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just found this thread after sending you a PM on this very topic!!!
I sure hope there is a shifter solution available soon for the V2 - currently have to do some real contorting to get my size 12 Alpinestar Scouts under the shifter :(

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Agreed that the lever could be longer (and I'll buy the long one), but my size 13 USMC reject boots fit, as well as my various riding boots. Has everyone adjusted the height of the lever to best suit them? It's easy to adjust, and if there isn't enough range on the adjuster, the shifter can be moved one spline on the shaft.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts