StromTrooper banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for the connectors used to couple the wires from the gear position sensor to the ECU. It's the connector pair on the left side of the bike with pink, blue and black/white wires.

I'm designing my own gear position indictor and I need to tap into these wires (or at least the pink wire). I could splice into the OEM wiring harness, but I'd rather make up a jumper cable with a tap in it that I can plug into the original OEM connectors.

I looked at easternbeaver's website but I don't see any wired "patch cord" there. It's possible they have the individual 4-wire connectors (if I could indentify them) but it's hard to tell. They could be Sumitomo MT or HM series but maybe not.

Anyone have the ID for these connectors or know of a source. Looking at the Suzuki parts diagrams they seem to be part of the OEM wiring harness, so they don't seem to have a Suzuki part number.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Commercial gear position indicators hook up to the dealer mode connector. That one is fairly easy to find.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I am not trying to be a smart aleck or start anything, but why or what purpose does a gear postion switch serve. I am only asking because I have never felt the need or use for one so I am wondering what I have been overlooking since 1959 thanks.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I find the gear position indicator to be a big help to know how many gears to downshift for an upcoming corner. Looking at a corner, I can see that I want to take it in, say, second, and a quick glance at the indicator shows me what gear I'm in now. Not everyone will find this useful, but some may. By the way, the electronic gear indicator, at least Heal-Tech's, has a slight delay, maybe a half second, between the actual shift and the updating of the display. This is OK for the purpose above, but not timely to know what gear you just shifted into.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
95% of the time a gear position indicator is probably of no use, but there are a few occasions when it's nice to be sure. As stated above, when shifting down through a bunch of gears and you know that you want to be in 2nd, it's nice to have confirmation.

You could say that a tachometer is useless. 95% of the time you can tell by the sound of the engine when to change gear. A fuel gauge isn't needed. I've ridden lots of bikes with no fuel gauge. You don't need a temperature gauge either. Apart from staying under a posted speed limit, even a speedometer isn't that useful.

So I'd agree that it's perfectly possible to ride for decades on bikes with no rev counter, fuel gauge, temperature gauge or gear position indicator and probably not miss them. That doesn't mean that they can't ocassionally be useful.

My design will update as fast at the gear position sensor stabilizes, which should be almost instant once the gear has changed. Since I do dabble in electronics and I've made a gear position indicator for fully mechanical bikes with no electronic sensors, making one for the Suzuki which has the sensor in place should be fairly easy.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Bob, I'm looking at the connector on my HealTech GIPro.

Looking into the end, with the locking clip at the top, it has three contacts in the top row and three in the bottom row. It uses the contacts in the right on the top row and the left and center on the bottom row. Of course, you'll look at the mirror image when you look at the diagnostic connector on the bike. On the bike's connector it'll be the upper left and lower right & mid.

Wondering if Jim Davis (Eastern Beaver) can get you the connector half? He has a minimum charge; maybe you could combine your order with someone near you.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You might also check with salvage yards. I dont think they sell a lot of used wire harnesses. They might just cut off what need from a total and send it to you. (for a price)

Personally I have never had a big problem modifying the stock harness to suit my needs. I dont use scotch locks but I do have a soder iron and plenty of heat shrink. It's your bike though so totally your call.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm in the same situation - I designed and built a GI, which works perfectly fine on the bench. It's time to test in on the bike, and I really don't want to splice things.
Looking at schematic in the service manual, signal of the GPS (pink wire) is not directly wired onto the diagnostic connector - may be it is via the ECU, but at that point it might not be the same signal.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I concluded the same thing. The pink wire from the GPS only connects directly to the ECU. If the GiPro connects to the diagnostic connector it's possible it is looking at some other signal(s) (possibly derived from the GPS sensor), though they do say that they read the GPS sensor.

It's likely that EasternBeaver has the connectors since they seem to have about everything that's used on Japanese bikes. The problem is identifying the exact type of connector that Suzuki use for that connection.

It's a 4 position connector with full weathersealing both on the connector body and all the leads. Actually only three are used and it's possible to thread a wire in through the unused port and jam a wire between the pink wire contacts, but it's not an ideal way to do it.

There is just enough free pink wire next to the connectors to install a scotch lock tap without disturbing the main wiring loom, so that is an option. You can pick up the ground connection elsewhere and you don't really need the blue wire since that's just a neutral indicator (and you can read a neutral signal from the pink wire anyway). Using the real connectors would just be a neater way to do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pink Wire

I am having a hard time locating the infamous PINK WIRE that comes from the GPS on the 650. Could anyone post a picture of how I can find this wire and the GPS sensor?

It would be greatly appreciated.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The pink wire goes from the GP switch under the clutch to the ECM. Check the wires connecting to the ECM. The ECM position varies a bit by model but not much. On my bike, it is directly in front of the battery under the rubber strap that holds the ECM and battery down. See the bundle of wires of many different colors on the ECM connector just in front of the battery near the bottom of the picture. One of those wires will be pink.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Just curious. I have spare clocks for my 1980 gs850 and it has a gear indicator built into it. Can this be retrofitted to my wee somehow

1 - 13 of 13 Posts