StromTrooper banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,480 Posts
Yep those are the ones. Adventure Rally, for when you want to pay higher-than-custom prices for off-the-rack gear! :/

It's more correct to say that Klim doesn't make anything comparable to Motoport, vs. the other way around. With Motoport you can customize it extensively. Their various models give you a template, but past that each piece of gear is almost a one-off.

I don't see Klim offering anything like that.

Between Aerostich and Motoport it is largely a matter of taste. I wore a combo from both (AD-1 pants, customized Marathon jacket) before switching to the Sand 3 pants. I know we have some big Gore-Tex fans here and it is certainly the most "breathable" of the waterproofing membranes, but "none" provides even better ventilation. I install waterproofing layers when needed, which is very seldom in my climate.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,480 Posts
Sure they do. Mesh, Stretch, 1000D Cordura (uncoated)...all in multiple styles / fitments. ($700-$1,300 for the pair, depending on model.)

I imagine you're thinking: what about built-in rain protection? Fair enough. Though I think adding rain over-gear is awfully easy.

I'd much rather have excellent ventilation (Motoport) for the vast majority of my warm and hot weather riding and bear the inconvenience of donning rain gear on the relatively rare occasions I need it, than tolerate mediocre ventilation for the great majority of my riding just to gain the convenience of built-in rain protection for those substantially fewer rides on which I need it.

Fortunately, we have a huge variety of gear from which to choose these days, with the addition of accessible, national and international marketplaces for used gear. Hopefully our options only get better and better.
Yes, this exactly. In my climate, I don't need Gore-Tex 99% of the time. Having it always there is detrimental, because it limits ventilation.

The Stretch fabric isn't mesh, but passes more air than Gore-Tex would.

·
Premium Member
19,041 Posts
I refuse to pay more for gear than I paid for my bike.

I have purchased used, new with tags, closeout, even from shopgoodwill.com. All decent gear for ¼ price. I'm just as safe as someone with the $3k whale foreskin getup.
It's not all about being safe......being super comfortable and DRY with gear that also breathes, while being made with top of the line materials and fasteners, so yeah that is the difference maker for those of us who've paid for less and gotten less. :)

Reactions: drrod

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Out here in the west, mesh gear doesn't work as it gets too hot. It's like riding in a blow dryer. I've found that having vented gear and a cooling vest works much better. Now if I had to ride in a high humid area, my gear might not work as well. I also ride all winter so Goretex is my choice. I ride in too much rain to be bothered putting on and taking off over-gear. The combination of well vented gear and Goretex is what I wear and it isn't cheap. I've tried other waterproof systems and it's like wearing a plastic bag. The point is that the gear that works for you may not work for someone on the other side of the country. Gear choice is regional, personal, riding style and budgetary.
High end used gear can be bought for a fraction of the cost of new. I paid $350 for a near new Roadcrafter that I use for my daily commute. It doesn't vent as well as my Klim Badlands but I only wear it for 45 mins at a shot so it works. It's also waterproof and easy on/easy off over my work clothes.
There are lots of folks who look at spending $100 as others do spending $20.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,480 Posts
Is that the same Oxford that makes the wonderful heated grips?

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you have the patience, Craigslist. Much smaller "customer" base than ebay so many things sit on there for long periods of time with no buyers. After gear has been on there for more than 30 days, you can often get it for about 1/2 of what they are trying to sell it for. Lots of people sell bikes thinking they will get another one and then after some time, decide to just sell the gear since they are not getting back in. Start with an inexpensive jacket and work your way up to the top of the line stuff. When you buy it right, it is always easy to unload it at close to the same price you paid when you find a better one you want.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I don't know if it's supply/demand or just the fact many are willing to pay that is driving prices but, $500-$700 is too much for a decent jacket, and $400-$500 pants?
Forget about it.
I get it, you only have one set of legs, materials and production are not cheap.
I'm sorry for the rant and I would gladly pay up to $500 for a GOOD helmet, but outfits like Klim or known others really should offer us some decent protection on a working mans budget.

Your thoughts?
Am I way off base?
Well, yes and no.

Getting expensive? Good gear is expensive, but it has always been expensive. I bought a very well made padded leather riding jacket in 1970 (before the advent of cordura) and it cost $200. Matching pants cost $100. That was expensive! Minimum wage was $1.25 / hour at the time. It took me a long time to save up for that gear. It lasted years and years, though.

Today's waterproof, breathable premium gear (Klim for example) is well put together, works better than my old leathers, and lasts for years as well. Figure the inflation: good gear has always been expensive to buy, but a reasonable deal over the long term.

I used to buy moderately priced (~$300), supposedly waterproof/breathable jackets and pants. They would last about 3 years max for me (20,000 miles/year of hard riding and traveling). It sucks having your gear fail when you're thousands of miles from home, with thousands still to go and there is no place where you can find a replacement.

This First Gear jacket (I think) was a good one for a couple of years, but it failed in Turkey and I got drenched every time it rained.

Crossing the Euphrates River......

Now instead of $300 every couple of years, I spend the $600 and have a better performing jacket for twice as long.

YMMV...................shu

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,480 Posts
That's more or less how I justified my Motoport jacket. I don't like to think about how much it cost, but damn is it amazing.

It's not as if you HAVE to spend Motoport money to get something good. I've been very impressed with my SO's Sedici Avventura jacket. In 1970 money it would cost about $41.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Lots of good information here I'm reading here specifically with cheaper options. Giving me ideas and new manufacturers to research, thank you to all that are contributing their real life experiences with specific gear.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts

Keep an eye out for what you need. Their stock is always changing BUT many times sizes are limited.

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have some jackets and pants in sizes L and XL that I dont use anymore and would sell for a good price. PM me if you are interested.

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Registered
49 Posts
My problem is I can't find gear that fits me properly. Apparently you can't be fat, and tall

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've had good luck with stuff from Wickedstock. Everything has held up fantastic and you can't beat the prices.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Is there a store I can walk in and get measured? I don't have measurements. And i'm not trying to order everything and return it when it doesn't fit
Motoport is in Escondido, CA and Aerostich is in Duluth, MN.

Or go to a tailor, get measured, specify if you want a snug, moderate, or loose fit, and submit an order online. My made to measure Motoport gear isn't a perfect fit, but it's darn good and a better fit than any other gear I've had or tried on.

One of the reasons I went with Motoport is for the ability to customize features, along with fit. I think I had ~20 small customization tweaks / selections on my jackets & pants.

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
I received the HWK "adventure/touring" jacket from Amazon today. I received a $50 gift card for Christmas, so cost to me was under $3. I'm 6'1" tall, and about 190. At 68 years old I'm built more like a tube than a "V" LOL, 45 " chest, 35 inch waist, I swear a couple inches of chest slipped down to my belly. I ride year round here, spent about 5 hours on the bike yesterday, wearing my heavy well made Suzuki Adventure jacket I bought at our local dealer 8 or so years ago for about $200. That is a well made heavy jacket, not sure of the manufacturer, but it is a great winter riding coat. It being size XL I ordered the same in the HWK brand, XL in grey. I like a looser fit as long as I can cinch it up a bit in the waist. The HWK is much lighter, maybe half the weight. It is nice poly material for the outer fabric though, stitching looks good, armor in the right places and the quilt liner is removable. The older I get, the colder I get, so this is going to be spring and fall for me. With the venting up front and back, with a kangaroo pouch to hold the liner if the day warms up I think this will be used often in our climate. It "might" be water resistant enough to last through a summer cloudburst, but probably not all day rain. I like the front lower pockets, slide side pockets and cargo pockets too. The velcro straps for arms and waist adjustment are not as robust or heavy duty as I'd like but they'll work. I also wish the sleeves were just a bit longer, maybe an inch, or even less. Not a deal breaker, when cold I have gauntlet gloves, when hot the open cuff and air will be good. When on the bike reaching for the bars, the sleeves are not quite as long as I'd like, but not too bad either. I wear tall in shirts, sleeve length has always been a challenge for me, but these will work fine.
This is not a $500 jacket, or even a $200 jacket, but it is what I've wanted for a while now when it's too cool for mesh, but too warm for full on heavy riding gear. It is at least as protective as my Alpinestars mesh touring jacket, but will offer a bit more comfort in cool weather, with venting when it warms up.

Outerwear Human body Ballistic vest Sleeve Luggage and bags

Shoe Vertebrate Window Dog Plant

Jeans Plant Window Helmet Wood

Jeans Sleeve Goggles Sports gear Houseplant

My winter coat.

Outerwear Jersey Product Sleeve Collar

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
couple other things, I mentioned this but the lower front pockets have side entry slash pockets as well as top flap cargo pockets. Very nice. The liner zips out, and it has one red and one black elastic strip and button at the end of the sleeve to reduce the chance of having a twist in the quilted liner sleeve. I had the armor out, it looks pretty good, fits well, and holds it position and shape. It's really a well thought out and made jacket for about $50. Unbelievable really.

Bag Art Electric blue Pattern Fashion accessory

Product Sleeve Grey Leather jacket T-shirt

41 - 60 of 61 Posts