StromTrooper banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,479 Posts
BMW has good gear as well.
Yes, good point. I went shopping at a BMW dealer a couple years ago.

Main reason I didn't buy anything was that they simply didn't offer big enough sizes.

I was expecting everything to be super expensive. There were some pleasant surprises. Would have walked out of their with a pair of their Summer riding pants, if they'd a big enough size.

·
Premium Member
19,041 Posts
MY Stich Gore-Tex gear breathes great, so don't agree on the plastic bag with holes comment......but hey I live in Ohio. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
I live in N. Cal and ride all over the west. My Klim gear works for me. Yes, they are expensive but amortized over the years, it's not bad. It can go from 50F to 100F in the course of a days ride so I need breathable, weatherproof gear. I tried the less expensive gear and felt like I was wearing a trash bag. Gortex is the only way to go. I don't want to be that guy under the overpass trying to get his liners installed inside his gear. With my cooling vest and heated jacket, I'm comfortable in any weather that I choose to ride in. I bought a Roadcrafter that I use for my daily commute in like new condition on the Advrider flea market for $350.

·
Registered
16,080 Posts
My Cycle Gear worked rather well too. I got it because it matched the color I painted the bike,
Horrible vanity! I got gloves, helmet and the suit for a good price. I really like the helmet too.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,479 Posts
A starter set from CG is fine. I don't think it makes sense to buy spendy gear at first. You don't know what you really want, what works & what doesn't, until you've been riding a while.

·
Registered
16,080 Posts
DesertBike, I don't know that sneaking up on a used Aerostich would be of any benefit. Too many positive takes on their products. Just shop and find used.That Dariens I bought were like new including the pads and the back brace. The whole enchilada! for the price of a taco!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Y'all would have loved the local surplus/salvage store last year. They bought out a LARGE powersports place and had tons of stuff started at 50% list then went to 70% off after a while.

Boots, jackets, helmets, tires oil, batteries oil filters. The money I saved on necessary maintenance items paid for the new jackets etc. Got the exact jacket that I had been wanting for $80. Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

Women can sometimes find smoking deals - my wife got new Kilimanjaro jacket for $80 and two nice Fly jackets for $29 and $59.

Used can be hit or miss but I did OK on jacket and pants on Ebay.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I recently bought a pair of Klim Dakar pants, black with super-spendy looking yellow embroidery for just north of $200. They’ll probably last me 10 years or more, and I commute. Very comfy, Uber adjustable legs, lots of Velcro. Blends in on the street and is built for abuse in the dirt. Excellent pants. If they start calling them Klim Dakar ADV pants, they’ll double that price.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,479 Posts
Not everything Klim makes is overpriced. But they've got to be kidding me with their "adventure" jacket and pants combo which runs for nearly $3k. For that price I can get two fully customized setups from either Motoport or Aerostich, with all the features. Why pay "custom" money for mass-produced gear?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Not everything Klim makes is overpriced. But they've got to be kidding me with their "adventure" jacket and pants combo which runs for nearly $3k. For that price I can get two fully customized setups from either Motoport or Aerostich, with all the features. Why pay "custom" money for mass-produced gear?
Klim is mostly made in China too.

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Registered
2016 BMW F800GT
15 Posts
Check out HWK. I am not affiliated with them in any way. I do own a new pair of their riding pants. Only two 250 mi rides and no rain yet so I don't how well they will last. They have a lifetime warranty, only good if they are still around if the gear fails. Wife was a seamstress in a former life and check the pants over and she feels they are well made. Made in Polynesia not China. So far so good. At 50$ USD can't complain. Plenty of UTube vids from users. Pants fit well and are comfortable and light colored not black! Have 10+ old FirstGear overpants that have needed crotch seams sealed or they leaked after only 2 yrs. Velcro is getting fuzzy so doesn't close well. Velcro had to be restiched in multiple places......just saying. Even spendy gear can have issues. I like my FirstGear stuff, 2 jackets 1 pant in 11 years. I'm semi-retired and cost is a big factor. Sometimes it is gas, gear, or tires, choose 2. 😁
I ride year-round in the PNWet. The FirstGear will now be my winter pants. HWK for the other 3 seasons. Some of us can not afford the initial outlay for premium gear and must pay as we go with the more budget friendly gear and replace as needed. I bought most my FirstGear and one Olympia Air from the folks in Texas that used to be called.........New Enough. 😁 Extremely happy with them over the years. As long as you know sizing. My older FirstGear jacket is a large and fits like a XL. My newer FirstGear Jacket if a XL and fits like a Large. Just saying. Sizing can be tricky. JMHO YMMV.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I understand tech in new materials are better. But remember, are grandparents rode with what they had. Sure possibly what they had was the new tech at the time and they had this same discussion. But their old tech is still good enough for me.

I have $4k hanging in my closet but always catch myself with my helmet, street knee guards, and a no-armour moto shell jacket. Other than that it's work gloves, jeans, and 8" steel toe work boots (I don't own sneakers). Only time I get suited up is for multi-day rides (whether it's motels or back country camping).

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,479 Posts
Velcro does wear out, unfortunately.

It helps if you have actual Velcro-brand closure vs. a cheap knockoff. Velcro-brand hook 'n' loop works better and lasts longer than the imitations.

·
Registered
2016 BMW F800GT
15 Posts
nmFreeWheeler, I resemble that remark. 😁😂😚
62 yrs young. Enjoy riding. 2007 VStrom 1k. Traded at 49k miles, all mine, on it last August for 2 yr old F800GT with 7k miles. Enjoyed the Strom. F800GT is 100+ lbs lighter and rubber band drive. 😁
Strom got heavy luggage etc. don't really do the FS roads anymore so time to change. Got a good deal on clean low mileage bike. Love the belt.
If I were do it over would choose 650 over liter bike.

Didn't mean to move off topic. To bring back on topic. I started riding with street clothes. Ski jacket and gloves for cold. Gear we have today is miles ahead of old stuff we wore. These days I feel naked on day rides if not geared up. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Don't know what models you're talking about but the Klim Badlands jacket and pants run about $1700 for the pair and the 'Stich Roadcrafter pants and jacket are $1400 for the pair. Motoport doesn't make anything comparable.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
I refuse to pay more for gear than I paid for my bike.

I have purchased used, new with tags, closeout, even from shopgoodwill.com. All decent gear for ¼ price. I'm just as safe as someone with the $3k whale foreskin getup.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Motoport doesn't make anything comparable.
Sure they do. Mesh, Stretch, 1000D Cordura (uncoated)...all in multiple styles / fitments. ($700-$1,300 for the pair, depending on model.)

I imagine you're thinking: what about built-in rain protection? Fair enough. Though I think adding rain over-gear is awfully easy.

I'd much rather have excellent ventilation (Motoport) for the vast majority of my warm and hot weather riding and bear the inconvenience of donning rain gear on the relatively rare occasions I need it, than tolerate mediocre ventilation for the great majority of my riding just to gain the convenience of built-in rain protection for those substantially fewer rides on which I need it.

Fortunately, we have a huge variety of gear from which to choose these days, with the addition of accessible, national and international marketplaces for used gear. Hopefully our options only get better and better.

·
Premium Member
5,270 Posts
21 - 40 of 61 Posts