StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if it's supply/demand or just the fact many are willing to pay that is driving prices but, $500-$700 is too much for a decent jacket, and $400-$500 pants?
Forget about it.
I get it, you only have one set of legs, materials and production are not cheap.
I'm sorry for the rant and I would gladly pay up to $500 for a GOOD helmet, but outfits like Klim or known others really should offer us some decent protection on a working mans budget.

Your thoughts?
Am I way off base?

·
Premium Member
2,771 Posts
Buy different gear? I have a nearly $1000 helmet once you add in the speakers. But I see no reason not to use joe rocket jackets with upgraded back armor.(forcefield pro). Can't see enough difference in the klim stuff to pay the money for it. For pants, I use either dtc , icon overlords or dogs of war. All are affordable.

Reactions: richlandrick

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Icon Overlord ballistic nylon $90 over pants. Indeed, very affordable. I'm going to have to piece together an affordable 3 season set just don't want it to fall apart in a year or two.

·
Registered
503 Posts
My Olympia Jacket was on special and I got it for less than 200 Canadian Dollars. At one point buying stuff in the USA was such a great deal, but now, many items are the same price. if i go to best buy in canada, the price is the same as best buy in USA, but the american dollar is too high. Same TV is 1000$ either country, but in the USA it is in american dollars...with the canadian dollar being worth 60-70 cents...thats a HUGE difference. here is a comparison can vs USA... in canadian funds the americans are paying at least 60$ more.

·
Premium Member
3,436 Posts
Shop closeout and discount places. This one is my favorite:

And keep in mind that good gear will last a loooong time. On a per year basis even the "expensive" stuff isn't that pricey. The high-end First Gear jacket that I got from the link above 20 years ago (at half price) is still going strong.

·
Registered
135 Posts
+1 on what Rich posted. The Icon Overlords are on sale for 75$. I have shopped this place for years and always had great customer service with returns and exchanges.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
I buy used quality gear. I use to buy cheaper stuff new but it doesn't last. Zippers get wonky, seams come apart. Even the Olympia stuff I bought was wearing out after a few years. I commute all year and am probably harder on gear than average.

Aerostich is usually a good buy. They have been making basically the same gear for 25 years. Gortex and heavy weight Cordura construction.

Lots of It around on EBay and ADV. It doesn't seem to wear out. I got a Darien Jacket for 1/3 the cost of a new one. It's Hi-Viz and faded but structurally sound. Got the pants too for half of new.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
It's only as expensive as you want it to be.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
I'm sorry for the rant and I would gladly pay up to $500 for a GOOD helmet, but outfits like Klim or known others really should offer us some decent protection on a working mans budget.

Your thoughts?
Am I way off base?
To answer your question 😁

Amortization. Look at gear as cost per year. $700 dollar jacket that lasts 10 years, $70 per year. Sure the initial hit can be stiff but in my experience cheap gear doesn't last like "expensive" gear.

Will expensive gear protect better in a crash maybe but any gear that reduces injuries it's far more cost effective than medical treatment. People balk about the price of boots (for example) but if a $500 boot saves a broken bone you got off cheap compared to an ER visit!

·
Registered
16,080 Posts
I got a Aerostich at the Norcal rally in Sonora Ca years ago and it's still going after a couple zipper repairs. I was lucky and won the suit. It wasn't a $1000 suit at the time, maybe $900 but good stuff lasts a long time. If you don't wear it every day as I did it would last even longer. I've gotten other good riding suits at discount used. Gotta shop around.
Cycle gear has some decent apparel. I've gotten BMW pants used and they are quite functional.
Having insurance that covers your gear is cheap compared to out of pocket too.

·
Premium Member
2,771 Posts
I don't know. My Joe rocket atomic jacket $220ish cost is on season 3 with no visible signs of wear. Although my favorite thing about their jackets is that an xl gives you bigger shoulders and longer sleeves without a 40 plus inch waist that makes it fit like a garbage bag.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Buy a used Roadcrafter on e-bay for less than $500. It will give your years of service and will be much cheaper than the "cheap" gear you toss after 3 years because they leak water or you are in a sauna riding in it or whatever other reason make you hate the gear. I am on my second (used) one now, but only because it was such a bargain. My first (used) one is now 26 years old and still ready to ride across country. Maybe some zipper maintenance would be prudent, its the backup now.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
All the money I have waisted on replacing budget gear over the years has convinced me to buy quality and only buy once.

As RD said over the years it can work out to be good value.

Being dry & comfortable comes at a price, staying dry with good gear is worth the admittance to me.

I wear my old budget gear for short trips and keep the Klim for longer rides it helps it last.

Reactions: Paddle and Big B

·
Registered
580 Posts
Flea Market on ADVRider.com works good...you can get high-end gear for reasonable cost. Buy helmets and boots new, all other gear used to lower cost. Just got a pair of Klim pants--Goretex, vented, hip/knee pads for $150 and a pair of Alpinestars Valparaiso pants for $120. 2 pair for less than the cost of one if new.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,706 Posts
Working mans gear...that was made well enough to do ok in a crash...used to mean Olympia brand. But, it looks like they are either out of business or soon to be. Shame, I have a lot of their gear.

Some of the cheap gear doesn't protect you very well when it gets tested, so it isn't really so cheap. But I get that $400+ for a jacket is big money to some.

Buying USED good gear is a great suggestion!

I have a Motoport mesh kevlar jacket, pants, and liners. Probably $1600 to replace. Over 10 years old and still in great condition. Still the gear I want on if I have to fall off the bike. So $150 or so per year for that suit...not so bad at all.

·
Premium Member
19,041 Posts
Aerostich and Klim are worth every penny, plus they last twice as long or even much longer than that compared to most popular and much cheaper off the rack offerings. Gore-Tex is the best PERIOD, and yeah you are gonna pay for that. The materials used, fit and finish, the armor, the stitching, the zippers, Gore-Tex membranes........this is all premium stuff at a premium price which last much longer than cheaper options.

I have Stich AD1 pants and Darien light jacket, gonna get some Darien pants soon.........I have approx $750 in that combination.

·
Registered
16,080 Posts
I got a Darien light that friend bought used and stained the pants so he sold me the jacket for $75 cus he doesn't wear anything stained.
I also got a Darien regular jacket for $250 from the ADV site.
Good stuff is out there, just gotta find it.
I splurged on a Helite jacket that was on sale. That kinda limits wearing all the other stuff I have. I should paid a bit more and got the vest. Then I could select from my collection and still have the air bag protection. Oh, well!

·
Registered
258 Posts
BMW has good gear as well. Bought the SreetGaurd clothing is excellent as well. Bought mine 6 years ago, jacket, pants and boots for approximately $1000.00 CDN. 100 percent waterproof - had the opportunity to do a three day rain test just after I bought the gear on a trip to Palm Springs and back in spring of 2015. Riding gear is like buying tools, you get what you pay for.

Shop around, save up for good gear. It comes down to what are you worth?

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,480 Posts
I'm not sure what your budget is, but we equipped my SO late last year, head to toe, with entry-level gear for a bit under $600. All of it came from Cycle Gear. Going there and trying stuff on was the only reasonable way to find out what fit. Most items were on clearance, which helped a lot.

The only thing we paid full price for was the Sedici Avventura jacket. We had a pretty good idea of what was best, based on my experience and her preferences. It's worked well for her, with great ventilation since the waterproofing is not built-in (more thoughts on that below).

I never get lucky enough to find used stuff I want on eBay etc, but I'm sure it happens if you have a very common size.

The problem with budget "3-season" gear is that those seasons are often fall, spring, and heatstroke. The main reason for this is built-in waterproofing. The membranes that aren't Gore-Tex are only breathable in comparison to a plastic bag. Gore-Tex breathes about as well as a plastic bag with a few holes poked in it. So, in general, I advocate buying gear with optional (installable liner) waterproofing, or plan on using a rain suit.

Exceptions may exist, if you live in a particularly wet climate. Gore-Tex may be king there. Dunno. I've lived in the desert the past 10+ years. I ditched my Aerostich AD-1's this summer, for Rev'It Sand 3's, because the Sand 3's are just SO much cooler and better on a 100°F day.

No, the Sand 3 is not a cheap pant - just going back to my point of avoiding Gore-Tex when ventilation is more important than waterproofing.

The only Klim thing I own is a balaclava. In general I find their gear overpriced for what you get.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts