StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am tired of not knowing what gear I'm in ( except 1st and 6th of course), is there an economical gear indicator out there? Less than a hundred bucks? Way less?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I wear earplugs all the time riding, so without good sound feedback I have a problem "feeling" the gear I'm in. Like you, I also can't see spending $150 on a gear indicator. I find that "counting down" helps me. At 45 mph or more, I know that I'm typically in 6th gear - when judging a turn, I'll know what gear I want to be in so I'll simply count down from 6th. It takes a little practice but may help.

I would be interested in other techniques people have out there as well.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I have music in my ears all the time so I don't hear the engine well. My rule of thumb is, if the speedo gauge is beyond the tach I have another gear left.

Ken

·
Registered
33 Posts
When I first got my bike I read about a gear indicator and thought it sounded silly and useless. After a few months on the bike now I think I'd like one. A few times I've shifted all the way to first when I wanted second in a very slow turn. I've been watching for that blink of the nuetral when shifting from 2 to 1 to tell me if I went too far but an indicator would be helpful I think.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
My 5 previous bikes have been old suzuki gs, and they had gear indicators.

My comment after testing a dl650 was "I hate it, I can't tell what gear it's in" followed by "but it doesn't seem to care".

After 2 years on the wee, I don't miss the gear indicator at all. I usually go up the gears until I'm in 6th and gear down twice or thrice when I need to accelerate.

There's not really a need to know; I'm either in top gear or heading there.

The gears are really close together on the wee (feels like a 500rpm drop, maybe someone has actual numbers), and they're pretty much there only to compensate for the engine's lack of torque. I find it really easy to figure out what to do with the shifter when I want to do it, and don't think knowing what gear I'm in would add anything to my motorcycling pleasure.

I have riding habits that are pretty set though, and that makesa it easy:
- When I take off, I shift until I'm in top gear.
- If top gear doesn't give me the oomph I need for the job, I go down one (or two), and shift back up when I pick up speed.
- I usually go down 2 gears before a corner, three for a sharp corner.
- I often find out I geared down too much and go up a gear (or two) mid-corner; that's ok, I'd rather approach in too low a gear than too high.
- After the corner, I shift back up to top gear.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
I have thought about adding the GLPro gear indicator as another farkle. You can never have too many farkles.:)

Mike

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Around town, in traffic is my nemesis. That occasional snick into 1st, when I thought I was going into 2nd and the bike practically comes to an instant standstill is what generates most of my frustration.

I can't believe the "speedo healer" is the only gear indicator available.

Maybe we need a group buy?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Around town, in traffic is my nemesis. That occasional snick into 1st, when I thought I was going into 2nd and the bike practically comes to an instant standstill is what generates most of my frustration.
Thats what I was talking about - hate that.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Holy sh!t, what did you do to your bike?
(heated grips, variable heat controller, heat grip on/off, a couple of 12volt power outlets, driving lights, GPS, battery tender, a couple of power relays, etc.)

and with that many electrical things in there, where do you keep your user's manual?
After going thru the manual a couple of dozen times I have no need now. Memory is a wonderful thing. And if memory might fail me while on the road I can get the info I need online with my phone.

My bike has about 100 less wires in that underseat compartment.
I will admit, unlike five years ago, there are better ways today.

PC-8

But this has worked just fine for me.

Less talk, more ride.:yesnod:

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Ok, back to the topic here...

Has anyone here ever had the need for a gear indicator in their car?

I don't think there's really any need for it on a bike either.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Has anyone here ever had the need for a gear indicator in their car?.
In stick shift cars you have the gear indicated by the position of the stick. On a bike you can't tell by the shifter position.
Having said that, I just ride the bike keeping the RPM in a comfort zone and shift up or down to keep it there. I down shift to a stop so I'm always in first before my feet go down. I know I'm in 6th gear when the speed needle is more right than the tach needle. The gears in between are just there to keep the bike in the correct powerband so it does not matter what their numbers are.

·
Registered
260 Posts
In stick shift cars you have the gear indicated by the position of the stick. On a bike you can't tell by the shifter position.
Having said that, I just ride the bike keeping the RPM in a comfort zone and shift up or down to keep it there. I down shift to a stop so I'm always in first before my feet go down. I know I'm in 6th gear when the speed needle is more right than the tach needle. The gears in between are just there to keep the bike in the correct powerband so it does not matter what their numbers are.
That's what I do, just keep the RPM's where I want them so that must mean I'm in the right gear. Usually I know but I do occasionally wonder whether I'm in 2nd or 1st as I round a 90 degree turn, but if I'm not 100% sure, I just go easy on letting out the clutch and it becomes pretty obvious real quick and I adjust accordingly if my speed demands it.

One "crutch" I use in the higher gears is that's real easy to remember is that in 4th gear, at 4000 rpm, I will be doing about 44mph with my 16 tooth sprocket. Then, if I glance down and see the speedo needle just ahead of the tach needle that means I'm in 5th, and if it's noticeably ahead of the tach needle, then I'm in 6th.

If the bike had come with a gear indicator as standard equipment, I imagine that by now I'd be in the habit of sneaking a peek at it from time to time, just as I now occasionally sneak a peek at my tach/speedo relationship to get the same information. But now that I've been forced to come up with my current method of determining what gear I'm in, I'm glad I don't have to add any more "spaghetti" to wire in an indicator.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
In stick shift cars you have the gear indicated by the position of the stick.
Some (most) mid-engined cars I've had that used cable shifters had the stick return to the centre position after I selected a gear. The one sequential transmission I've had in a car did that too. But I understand that those are probably rare exceptions.
However, unless you have a gated shifter, by looking at it you can really only tell if your gear is even or odd. The actual number of the gear is pretty much extrapolated from the speed.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts