StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently my gear indicator started acting up, usually when I'm in third gear. Sometimes it will show 4, sometimes it will flash between 3 & 4 and sometimes it will still read 4 when I downshift through 3rd to 2nd.

I'm wondering if there is anything simple I can do to fix it. Search results suggest cleaning or replacing a part that is inside (near clutch plates??) but that is beyond my skill level. The bike has 57k miles, runs great and I changed the oil when this started happening. That was about 400 miles ago. Been using Rotella T6 for the last 30k miles.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I can take it to the shop but they are surely swamped at this time of year so that won't happen anytime soon.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's an update:

My gear indicator has been less spastic lately. I don't know where the sensor is or how it works but it seems like the fresh oil may have washed some dirt away; or maybe there was just moisture somewhere that has dried up. It's been a bit drier around here lately.

There seemed to be steady improvement after the oil change. It stopped flashing 3,4,3 after a short while and then showed the wrong gear less often. Today it didn't read wrong at all which is good news. The gear indicator is only a convenience but I'm accustomed to having it now so I plan to keep it. Hopefully it will continue to work until I take the bike in for some other service.

If there is any maintenance I should be doing on this, i.e. loose screws or connections I should be checking, I would like to hear about it. A simple explanation of how it works or where it is located would also be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Hey i had the same issue on my bike, the sensor was changed under warranty.

Been working fine ever since.

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
Funny. I just brought my 2014 1000 in for an inspection and to correct the exact same problem with the gear indicator. I assume the dealer will change the sensor and all will be good. 40,000 miles and otherwise this bike has been just about flawless.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts