StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,227 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Stroms shift smoothly if the bike is working properly and the rider is doing his/her part (IMO). After spending way to many $$$ over the years on unneeded farkles, you might consider putting some miles/kil on your new steed and then fine tune it to your liking. Then again you might not. :laugh2:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya I was not sure either as I had not read any thing in my research about sloppy or iffy shift issues with the Vee2.

So when in dout I as this forum for feedback/advise.....

I just sent Richland Rick a note for his input as he built some spacers to correct this problem in the older Vees.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Ya I was not sure either as I had not read any thing in my research about sloppy or iffy shift issues with the Vee2.

So when in dout I as this forum for feedback/advise.....

I just sent Richland Rick a note for his input as he built some spacers to correct this problem in the older Vees.
I agree with bugmagnet & illinois. Ride it first before jumping to conclusions. My "old" 2009 Vee does not need the rear spacers as the rear sprocket does not wear on the sides (next to the teeth). As for shifting same thing applies.

That being said it is YOUR money. Have a good one.

Brian

·
Registered
740 Posts
magic

I just purchased a '14 and am leaving it at the dealer until weather improves, so I'm doing my Farkle research and came across this piece of kit for smoothing out the shifting and was curios to know if any one else have tried it....?

Suzuki V Strom and DL 1000 Gear Change Enhancer. Awesome bit of kit amazing results. Fits latest 2014 models too.
Having looked very closely at how the chain path alighns with the engine and wheel sprockets on my DL-650A, and seeing the claims made for this "enhancement", I can say with high confidence: If there was any perceived improvement, it would be pure placebo effect.

I'm with the others on riding the bike for awhile before tweaking its fundamental operation. Chances are that you will not notice any unsmoothness in shifting (other than what can be improved with techniqueor is beyond improvement without a system redesign).

The language in the write-up at your link is very much like what I see for such useless gear as speaker cable conditioners. It's technical hocus-pocus encouraging the perception of imaginary effects and improvement. If you are susceptible to that sort of persuasion, and willing to part with good money for that sort of psychological manipulation, then spend away -- it will surely work its magic.

Otherwise, I would encourage you to see for yourself whether there is any correctable misalignment and be sure to adjust the chain slack screws to get the rear sprocket coplanar with the center of the engine sprocket. After that, there will nothing to correct with a £29.98 expenditure.

·
Administrator
17,529 Posts
Sounds like you have not even ridden one yet, let alone the one you just bought? I suggest you quit looking for solutions to problems that don't exist with the Vee2..........ride it and report back, I am betting you will see exactly what I am talking about. ;)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent feedback folks, the very reason I appeciate this forum

I'm a mechanical newb and at times "attracted" to things that purport to address an issue so as to minimize potential mechanical issues (I don't have access to a good bike mechanic either).

When I see things my initial reaction is "why would someone go to all that effort/financial outlay to fix a problem that's bogus", hence my forum post to get responses from folks with experience.

Thanks!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Rick has said his fix for the older V's is not needed on the V2. Just ride it, they shift fine. The only time it is a little less than butter smooth is between first and second. But even that is smoothing out with more miles.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I own a V2 and never once experienced an issue with shifting. Believe me if there was an issue to be found it was more than likely mentioned here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
13,820 Posts
Sounds like you have not even ridden one yet, let alone the one you just bought? I suggest you quit looking for solutions to problems that don't exist with the Vee2..........ride it and report back, I am betting you will see exactly what I am talking about. ;)
Engineer's credo:

"Just because it isn't broken doesn't mean you can't fix it!"

..Tom

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
When I first heard of this I asked several dealers if they had heard of the alignment thing on the older Stroms and if there was any such reports with the V2. I guess they were guarding the secret well cause the answer was always no.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'll add my voice to the choir. Never any shifting issues. I used no more than the usual alignment methods.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Just the fact that this vendor talks about "V-Stroms and DL-1000" tells us he's no pro. Hang on to your money. If you have a 2002 to 2011 DL1000, discuss this with Richland Rick.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts