StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I for one can say that, altho the fuel gauge countdown (flashing symbology) starts at a ridiculously high range (100kms?) they are allowing us every last drop when it runs out. Yesterday I left Salmon Arm headed for Revelstoke on Hwy 1 and seeing the supposed fuel left and the GPS distance to Revelstoke, I could see I was several kms. short. Now worries, lots of gas along the way, right? NOT! Guess I foolishly started looking for a stop after the countdown said 20kms. left. GPS tells me a Petrocan at 27. I had figured out my best gas mileage was in sixth, on the flat, at about 4800rpm.
Watching the thing count down I was within 4 kms of filling up when it was showing blank. Pulled into a resort and rocked the bike with the ear to the tank and heard nothing. Luckily a nice caretaker lady was able to scrounge me up a bit of lawnmower gas for which I thanked her profusely and paid her amply.
Sure enough, with in 2 kms there was the station. Would I have made it? I'm gonna say no. So, Zuki is giving us every chance there is to not be a dumbass.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Very seriously, that is great information to know. I know I can push the envelope on gas range from time to time. Knowing the real cut off is true knowledge.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One word of caution. I was victim of a bunch of false readings on my F800GS a few years back. Had runouts at 28 kms and 8 kms before a flash fixed it. Not that that is the case here but maybe lets hear some more similar experience before believing it.:thumbup:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Its not a great idea to run the fuel way down on a regular basis. The fuel pump is liquid-cooled by the fuel in which it is immersed. Good info nonetheless.

·
Registered
393 Posts
On my first tankful, I was keen to see how much was left in the tank in my new Vee2 after the last bar started flashing.

On the Wee I always had 4 litres left.... comfortably 60-80kms to find fuel.

On the Vee2, after 10kms (6 miles) with the last bar flashing, and 2 kms after the countdown hit 0, I filled up. It took 20.05 litres sitting on the side stand. I now start looking for fuel when the gauge hits the last bar!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts