StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning a ride up to Gaspe at the end of july. I'm looking for opinions- which direction around the peninsula should I go to provide a. the best riding, and b. the best scenery?
The rough plan now is a loop from Boston either thru ME and NB to Gaspe and back via PQ, QC, VT and NH, or the other way round.
Consensus?
Thanks,
Chris in Boston-

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Chris, I don't know why this is, but I always exit Maine via Fort Kent, then ride Rt 232 up to Rt 234 and out to Rt 132 at Grand Metis. There is a campground in Matane that I stay at. I ride the north shore of the Gaspé in a clockwise fashion. When in Parc Forillon, I camp at the tip, Cap-Bon-Ami. There are the best views of the peninsula from there.

Make a point to stop at the bakery in Percé.

I travel down through New Brunswick, following the roads that are right along the border of Maine and NB.

I can make it home from Cap-Bon-Ami in a day.

Just to give you some tidbits.

------------------------------

If you don't mind, this trip of yours may work out for me. Would you mind some company?

B.L.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure Barry,
I looks like we'll be leaving Boston in the a.m. of 28 July and anticipate being back here sunday night
I was just reading about Rt.132, looks great.
We might not be able to make it to Matane in one day from here, but I'm sure we can work something out.
Chris

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Chris, do you think your group can make Island Falls, Maine by nightfall? There is a campground there, I think it is called, "Birch Point", or "Birch Bay" campground. It is a decent spot to spend the night.

There is a good chance of making Cap-Bon-Ami on the next day from Island Falls.

Barry

EDIT: Here is the web site: http://www.birchpointcampground.com/

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Tom, please don't ask about "Shock Road" at this point. I would like to leave a few things as a surprise for this crew, okay?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Andy going with you?
Hi Tom,

Yes, Andy is riding as well. We had another guy lined up, but he's unable to join us. Cruiser rider, dont ya know.
So as of right now, its Andy and myself.

Barry,
I've heard of Shock Break Road, I'll not be surprised if we end up on a 650-swallowing bypass.
Thanks for the link to the campground, we should be able to make it to there no problem. Especially since we wont be stopping here this year:

Chris

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
How are things shaping up for you Chris?

Cap-Bon-Ami.....

...and Cap-Bon-Ami

You never know what "good friends" you will meet there!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How are things shaping up for you Chris?

Cap-Bon-Ami.....

...and Cap-Bon-Ami

You never know what "good friends" you will meet there!
Looking to leave town in the a.m. of the 28th. We've decided to power on thru ME and try to hit Mount Carleton by beer time. Its only a hair over 500 miles from Boston, so shouldn't be a problem.
That'll leave a shorter second day of riding to get to the peninsula. Once in Gaspesie, the plan becomes more up-in-the-air.
Mount Carleton to Cap-Bon-Ami is only 580km (or 350mi.) even going clockwise around the long way. So that looks like the plan as of today.
Chris

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Looking to leave town in the a.m. of the 28th.
Wouldn't mind joining you. The Gaspe beats the hell out of the BMWMOA rally, which I've also been considering.

How long are you planning to be out?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Tom,

I have a little more time than Andy. I think he's planning on being back for work monday 8/1, I'm shooting for tuesday or wednesday.

Chris

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Looking to leave town in the a.m. of the 28th. We've decided to power on thru ME and try to hit Mount Carleton by beer time. Its only a hair over 500 miles from Boston, so shouldn't be a problem.
That'll leave a shorter second day of riding to get to the peninsula. Once in Gaspesie, the plan becomes more up-in-the-air.
Mount Carleton to Cap-Bon-Ami is only 580km (or 350mi.) even going clockwise around the long way. So that looks like the plan as of today.
Chris
Chris,
RT 385 to Mount Carleton is one of my favorite roads! It is fairly isolated from everything, and you DO have a sense of being on a true adventure.

Here are some things to keep in mind; at the lower section of the road, you may encounter some deer that are fairly tame. Like, standing in the road as cattle, tame. People feed them in that area.

If you need fuel, you HAVE to get it in Plaster Rock. There is NO fuel along Rt 385, OR Rt 180. Fuel up in Plaster Rock,Saint-Quentin, or Kedgwick, (there is a town campground in Kedgwick that I have camped in before.)

There is a decent, very nice town campground in Grand Falls. Food, fuel is readily available. The campground is located right along the gorge in the center of town. I have used this campground several time.

It looks like you are shooting for a counterclockwise trip of the Gaspé. To get to Rt 132 from Rt 17, travel east to Campbelton, and cross the water at Pointe-a-la-Croix.

As you travel east on Rt 132, you will have a very dramatic introduction to the town of Percé. The first thing you will see is Percé rock. This island used to have THREE arches and was a aid to navigation to explorers from Europe trying to find their way to North America. William Champlain wrote of it in his journals back in the late 1700s.

·
Registered
23 Posts
route 299

I don't know if your are considering this road, but to get across the Gaspé peninsula I really like the 299 that gets you from New Richmond to Sainte-Anne-des-Monts. This road is pretty remote, not much traffic and no towns. It follows a river along a deep valley, but the pavement is great. Also it gets you across the National park. I've done it last year. You don't miss any of the great scenery along the coast either, because the cliffs and hills really starts East of Sainte-Anne-des-monts. :thumbup:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Barry,

I saw the squiggle on the map that is Rte.385 and said "I have to ride that one" I'm glad to hear it is remote.
The plan from there is to go up Rte. 132 to the north coast and ride east to Cap-Bon-Ami. Like this:

The next day would be riding the south coast back to Rte. 299 thru the interior back to the north coast, then west toward who-knows-what.

·
Registered
119 Posts
+1 for route 299 beautiful !!
here are a few pics from our tour of Gaspésie 2 years ago.

Highest windmill 110 meters high

If you can stop and visit Bonavanture Island, you will see this...
If you can while you are in percé, do this road: chemin des failles... here a pic.

Attachments

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Chris,
I have some more suggestions for you. But, I probably won't be able to get to posting them until sometime this weekend.

You ARE making the right choice about riding the north shore down to the tip of the peninsula. If you rode counterclockwise, all of the great views would be behind you and in your mirrors. Riding the peninsula in a clockwise fashion gives you the best views and the most drama of the ride.

Barry

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
If you rode counterclockwise, all of the great views would be behind you and in your mirrors.
The GoPro faces either forward or aft with the helmet mount. ;-)

I'd like to do this trip, working on clearing my schedule....

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Chris,
I hear that Tom is going to be joining you. He knows my usual routes and also knows "what is what".

Have a great time!! I wish I could join you for this one!

Barry

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
I wanted to post an update for Chris, Andy and Tom. By using Tom's, (tmcgee), Spot Tracking Info, the group of three successfully completed the first leg of their journey, and arrived yesterday at Mont Carleton Provincial Park, located in New Brunswick, Canada.

They are "moving about" this morning. (I think Spot the dog is chasing his tail from what I can see right now!)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts