StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After parking my 2014 DL650 inside garage after a 30 min ride, outside temp in mid 80's Farenheit, I noticed a new noise, hissing like, coming from gas tank cap. Assume it was from gas vapors escaping from tank, 3 bars showing on fuel gauge.
Should I be concerned about the filler cap gasket? Have had other bikes in hot weather and am used to vapor pressure being contained by screw on caps so wonder if what I described above is normal or not.
Thanks in advance,
Mark

·
Registered
647 Posts
I had a 650 scooter that would release pressure from the gas tank with a noise that would make a small boy jealous. rude scooter. thankfully that never happened in a mixed social group. it would sound pretty bogus to say "it wasn't me, it was the scooter"

being as this is as new noise it may well be a gasket or some source of pressure leak.

could you spray wd40 around the gasket and filler and look for bubbles when it makes noise?

it wasn't me, it was the scooter

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll take your response to mean "relax, nothing to worry about" rather than a suggestion to blow up my garage ?

Mark

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
It is something you can't stop from happening, there must be a exchange of air between your tank and the outside.

Sometimes it will be sucking and others blowing out.

It is just that you heard it happening, it has always happened.

Some bikes have a canister to collect the fumes

Yes Relax.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wife's ninja does it like nobody's business for a wide range of weather. Don't worry about it, it is releasing the pressure. It not releasing it is the real problem lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
575 Posts
AFAIK, on the DL1000 there is a rubber hose coming from the bottom of the gas tank and going all the way to the bottom of the bike. This is the gas vent - unless you live in California in which case it goes through a charcoal canister under the seat first.

It is extremely easy to pinch this line after having lifted the tank for maintenance. So you might want to check that nothing under the gas tank is pinched.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have to agree with those saying to check the vent tube for blockage or restriction. Mud can clog the bottom of the vent tube.
Or insect nests. And a pinched tube has to be ruled out by inspection. I've parked my bike in the garage with varying levels of fuel
in the tank and the oder of gas fumes has never been an issue. Even my sons bike is parked in there and between the 2 it never
smells like a strong gas vapor. If it vents to a charcoal canister make sure all the hoses going to the canister are good with no blackage.

It is true that the system must be able to vent fumes to prevent too high a pressure in the gas tank.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
If the 650 is like the 1000 there is 2 pipes.

One is a drain for any fuel that is spilt when filling.

The other seals against the fuel cap, on the 1000 it has a red rubber grommet that meets the cap when closed, that is the vent.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts