StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Carbs can use gravity feed off two pipe levels in the tank to create a reserve. FI requires fuel pump pressure and you don't want to run a fuel pump dry.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Riding carbureted dirt bikes, we still do it today. Taking a break out on the trails, "Joe" will leave his bike unattended to go take a pee, and automatically one of us will turn off his gas. Then 100 yards down the trail, Joe is pulling over, cussing us sorry SOB's....... Yeah, we still act like kids. :thumbup:

·
Banned
1,933 Posts
ah, yes, I remember being in the middle of a curve, in heavy traffic, when poof.... sputter.... stall.

Quick, reach down, between my legs, and ease the petcock down...

quick downshift, hoping you don't get run over, maintain the curve, and.....

vroom! Power!

oh, shit, where's the next gas station?!

rinse and repeat.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Since you get a two stage warning from the gauge, you shouldn't really need the reserve, but I do miss it :)

I was 17, 1982 or 83 riding my first bike the 20 miles from home to the campground, talked to my Dad before leaving. Told him I was taking the backroads, he said he was taking the highway.

Right about 4 or more miles from the nearest gas station halfway through the trip, sputter and die. Sitting there, wondering how bad it was going to suck to walk four miles to the nearest station, and was sure with my luck they would have no small gas cans, Out of nowhere, Dad appears, said he took the backroads just in case :) Grabs me, we go to the station, get a small can, back to the bike. As I'm filling it up, he says "Son, been maybe 30 years or more since I rode a bike, and that was only a buddies once in a while, do they still have a reserve?" Man was I embarrassed :headbang:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts