StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked for this but saw nothing on the NEW DL1000.
What is the process to REMOVE the tank from the bike?
It looks like I have to start with taking off the plastic running over the top of the tank and the fuel cap ring along with it, then just work my way down.
If anyone has done this and can post up some pictures etc that would be very very helpful.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I just did this last week when installing a K&N filter and a PCV. Let me see if I can remember correctly...

-Remove seat
-disconnect battery
-remove those metal tank fairings
-remove plastic tank cover
-remove two screws in the front tank and the metal seat holder thingy at the rear
-remove side fairings from tank which I believe are held on by two screws each fairing, as well as those plastic push pin things.
-remove metal bracket things in the bottom of the front of the tank down between the fairing and the tank
-I think that may be all the stuff to remove but take a look around and see what else may be holding it down
-Have someone gently lift the tank in the rear so you can disconnect the fuel line and breather/(overflow?) tubes and fuel pump wires. The fuel line disconnects with that green plastic clip on the line by switching it either up or down which will allow the line to come off the metal tank valve or petcock whatever it's called.

That should be everything to remove it and if I were looking at my bike I would probably be more accurate but since this is off the top of my head it may be a little off. It's very easy but once the tanks off you'll realize it wasn't bad at all. Here's how it looks on my 2015 DL1000. ImageUploadedByMO Free1446935954.685148.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
You need 4 mm & 5 mm hex keys and 10 mm & 12 mm wrenches. Remove the seat. Remove the plastic panels on the tank. Let the side panels hang from the wiring. Prop the tank up on the strut, disconnect the gas line, wiring connector, vent hoses. Take the bolt out from the front of the tank, lift it off wiggling the brackets at the rubber bumpers as needed (hope you don't have much gas in the tank to lighten the weight). If I forgot anything, do that, too.

While the tank is off, look for chafed wiring and wrap something on it to prevent future chaffing. Look for any connectors that could fill with water, fill with rtv silicone sealant or silicone dielectric grease to keep water out. If due, change the air filter and spark plugs.

When replacing, put the tank up on its strut, connect everything, be sure you get the fuel line all the way pushed into place, test run with it on the strut so you can fix anything without doing the plastic panels again.

Reactions: flgolfer29

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Looked for this but saw nothing on the NEW DL1000.
What is the process to REMOVE the tank from the bike?
It looks like I have to start with taking off the plastic running over the top of the tank and the fuel cap ring along with it, then just work my way down.
If anyone has done this and can post up some pictures etc that would be very very helpful.
the manual gives a very detailed step by step guide to doing this.

nevermind should have read the replies first :( haha

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Yes, and I was assuming that any one with a V2 would have a manual. How uninsightful of me.:frown2:

·
Registered
754 Posts
There may be a misunderstanding around the term manual in this thread.
I think some people are assuming owners manual and some are assuming service manual maybe?

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
There may be a misunderstanding around the term manual in this thread.
I think some people are assuming owners manual and some are assuming service manual maybe?
no it's covered in the owners manual in amazing detail w hich is why 2 of us suggested it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I mean the OP may have assumed you meant the service manual.
You are correct in part, most of the time when referring to the manual people mean the service manual.
And while the bike did come with an owners manual, it turns out that they are very tasty to a Schnauzer so I went from having a manual to having a wet pile of confetti and a very happy dog.

Bottom line - Got it sorted so thank to everyone that had posted up recommendations and insight.

The list of top panel etc was exactly the think I was looking for.
Eastern Beaver Kit, LED's, Heated Grips and garage remote opener are all installed and working. This bike has even less space then the Gen 1's but it's all in there.

Thanks again to those whom posted up actionable information.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Although "reading the manual, owners or service" may tell you what to do it is also good to hear other people's actual experience on doing the job. Yes you may get a step by step clinical instruction but hands on is always different.
I am a Nurse in a community setting. The University based teaching methods when giving an injection do not apply in the middle of a field or someone's cockroach infested house.
So yes " read the manual" to me is a cop out. If someone is genuinely asking for help from experienced people then please help and not put them down. :smile2:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I was not putting the guy down for Christ sakes! Perhaps I should have just said Have you looked in the manual? I knew it was in the manual that's why I said read the manual He did not indicate that he didn't have a manual. CHEESH!

·
Administrator
17,504 Posts
Guys...if the answer to everything was "read the manual" then why even have a forum?

Most stuff is not in the "horrible manual", however many don't read the manual and then ask a question which/where the answer is in fact in the user manual. :fineprint: I am known to say "read your manual, or use the search function", as redundant questions become extremely annoying after being here for 10 years. :grin2:

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Most stuff is not in the "horrible manual", however many don't read the manual and then ask a question which/where the answer is in fact in the user manual. :fineprint: I am known to say "read your manual, or use the search function", as redundant questions become extremely annoying after being here for 10 years. :grin2:

I can understand that, but in all reality if everyone read the manual this forum would be pretty bland. Also, we can provide more in depth pointers with photos as well. I love to read about others experiences and knowledge with maintenance be it cleaning a chain, or a big job like swapping a frame. Also, not everyone has a service manual. Btw, u going to the east coast gathering?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts