StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, already on my new wee I have paint scratches on the gas tank where my knees touch the tank. Anybody got a solution for that problem?

All suggestions are welcome and thanks in advance for any assistance you offer.

Patrick

·
Registered
237 Posts
scratch's on mine too, and all of the wax's, polishing / rubbing compounds I have found say not for use on plastic or on metalized plastic so I have not tried anything yet. I did order a can of Honda spray though and see if that may help....but I think it is mostly a cleaner., polisher, do not know if it will help with scratch's.
Amazon.com: Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish: Automotive

·
Registered
121 Posts
Try a paint pen if they are very deep or a scratch remover, such as Meguiers or Mothers, if not. Good luck

·
Registered
360 Posts
I am a big fan of Meguier's Scratch-X 2.0 to gently polish out scratches in paint and clear-coat.

To prevent future scratches, consider some type of tank pads on the side of the tank. Many people hear swear by the Stomp Grip or Tech Skin pads. I myself use some inexpensive cell phone sticky pads designed to hold your cell phone on the car dashboard.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts

Tech Spec has some great products, they won't help you if it's already happened, but may help prevent future scratches. You may also check out : TheTankSlapper.biz - The Product for clear paint protection, I used this under my tank bra on my Vee to prevent the bra from rubbing my paint off. Cheers--BB

·
Registered
113 Posts
Tank pads

So, already on my new wee I have paint scratches on the gas tank where my knees touch the tank. Anybody got a solution for that problem?

All suggestions are welcome and thanks in advance for any assistance you offer.

Patrick
Patrick,

I noticed that in the first 50 miles on my black ADV. I ordered a set of TechSpec Gripster C3 tank pads off EBAY. Made my own templates. They also threw in a pre-cut one for the back of the tank to protect the belt buckle area. The 2 sheets are a grippy neoprene like dense pad 7.25x13".

They feel great on the knees and allow me better grip for cornering. Worth the $43.95 for me and shipping was fast. If I ever sell the bike and the next owner doesn't like them, they can simply pull them off. I'll try to post a pic soon if any interest. I'm very happy with them and have gotten several comments of people who like them and are interested in a set... thinking they were factory installed.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Patrick,

I noticed that in the first 50 miles on my black ADV. I ordered a set of TechSpec Gripster C3 tank pads off EBAY. Made my own templates.".................. I'll try to post a pic soon if any interest.
I would love to see a photo of the tank pads installed. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Tech Spec "snake skin" tank grip pad, I'd probably just make a pattern and make my own next time, unless they make a V-Strom specific one in the future. Cheers--BB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts