StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to replace air filter with a K & N. Someone on the forum mentioned it's easy to go ahead and flush/fill the radiator while I'm at it. Bike has 13K miles. Anything else I should check out while I have the gas tank off?

Barry

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It's about time for a valve clearance check especially as long as the tank is off and you are going to replace the coolant. I would also replace the spark plugs with NGK CR8EIX iridium plugs since you are in there even though it really isn't necessary yet. The iridiums will last a very long time.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Grey. Never checked valves before. Don't even have a set of feeler gauges but maybe its time to invest in some. Is this going to be a tough job for a amateur?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
The check is pretty easy, hardest part is just getting everything out of the way to check. Even if one is out of spec swapping shims out is straight forward.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
horn

If you don't have a louder horn, and are thinking about it, this would be a good time to install one, when you have everything apart anyway. If mixing you own coolant, be sure to use distilled water, rather than tap, and the proper type of coolant. Some bike shops sell pre-mixed coolant/water. Check your radiator hoses and clamps and replace any that appear questionable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts