StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the DL1000A having come off a 2009 DL650 (my second DL650). On the 650s, your knees were on plastic below the metal tank. With the 1000A, they are squarely on the painted tank (what little painted tank actually shows). I ride on dirt roads in Vermont and the tanks is showing signs of wear and scratching after only a few 100 miles. Poor design or bad decision making on my part not to protect the tank before my first ride?

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

·
Registered
611 Posts
I am new to the DL1000A having come off a 2009 DL650 (my second DL650). On the 650s, your knees were on plastic below the metal tank. With the 1000A, they are squarely on the painted tank (what little painted tank actually shows). I ride on dirt roads in Vermont and the tanks is showing signs of wear and scratching after only a few 100 miles. Poor design or bad decision making on my part not to protect the tank before my first ride?

Anyone else experiencing this problem?
Been discussed. I use Techspec gripsters

http://www.amazon.com/TechSpec-62-3010-SS-Snake-Skin-Tank/dp/B00YZCVVYI

Others have come up with cheaper solutions but I put on the grip pads more for performance than protection anyway...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
Been discussed. I use Techspec gripsters

Amazon.com: TechSpec 62-3010-SS Snake Skin Tank Grip: Automotive

Others have come up with cheaper solutions but I put on the grip pads more for performance than protection anyway...
They look like a good idea. How do they attach? I have previously cut some pads from magnetic sign material from a sign shop. Just make a pattern, trace and cut. The nice thing about magnetic ones is that they can be easily removed, cleaned and replaced.

·
Registered
611 Posts
They have a glue that is industrial, but can be removed

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I just installed some Tankslapper protective film on my Super Tenere. The pieces come pre-cut for a specific bike, and they are relatively easy to put on. Once it's on correctly, it's barely perceptible, and you can remove it and reinstall it if need be. They make sets for the DL1000 and DL650.

The Tankslapper

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
happened on mine after less then 600 miles, i was pissed.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Bought and installed the OEM transparent stickers before i left the dealership, no way i wanted to hide all that sexy color!

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I like any type of grip pads to help keep me from sliding forward during hard braking.

Reactions: 2thDr

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
scratches are character.

Reactions: Skew

·
Registered
184 Posts
I second the Tankslapper, they are excellent. Precut for your machine, and easy to install. They are transparent, and very hard to tell they are installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
This is the Tankslapper kit for my Super Tenere. The entire top of the tank is covered, as are the lower sides that make contact with your knees. You have to look pretty close to see it's there.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just installed some Tankslapper protective film on my Super Tenere. The pieces come pre-cut for a specific bike, and they are relatively easy to put on. Once it's on correctly, it's barely perceptible, and you can remove it and reinstall it if need be. They make sets for the DL1000 and DL650.

The Tankslapper
this stuff is really the way to go. Clear and Invisible unless you are trying hard to see it, easy to install and remove, and very cheap. But if your tank is already scratched, then those big black things might be better...

·
Registered
611 Posts
this stuff is really the way to go. Clear and Invisible unless you are trying hard to see it, easy to install and remove, and very cheap. But if your tank is already scratched, then those big black things might be better...
The "big black things" are more about function than looking pretty or being protective. The protection is a side benefit.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Picked up these pads, installed them (took a couple of tries to line them up evenly on both sides), went for a ride. Perfect. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
scratches are character.
Not when you just dropped over 10 grand on a brand new bike and it's a couple weeks old they dont...

Picked up these pads, installed them (took a couple of tries to line them up evenly on both sides), went for a ride. Perfect. Thanks for the tip!
It's nice to get it sorted out but Suzuki really should do something about it. They spared every possible penny they could on this bike, if there was a corner to be cut they cut it! This was my bike at 2 weeks old.. Suzuki says it's normal wear and tear. I polished it and waxed it and it would go away,but after 1 ride it would look like this again... so Suzuki said it was my pants doing it.. really? the same pants I wore for 30k on my 650 and never put a mark on it? In the end they wont do anything, the dealer I bought from wound up giving me some free tank protectors.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Suzuki has never really been known for their excellent finishes that's for sure.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts