StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering . Yesterday I decided to use 91 grade gasoline instead of the regular grade 87. I pumped in 8 liters filling up the tank then the thought hit me.... how many liters/quarts does it take before the 87 grade gas left in the hose from the previous user gets pumped out and the 91 grade starts flowing???

Can't be instantaneous.

Brian

·
Registered
587 Posts
I always fill my gas jugs for the lawn mower and stuff with supreme, just because it sits around longer.

I just top up my truck before filling them to ensure the cans are all supreme

·
Registered
441 Posts
I regularly use premium in mine, I know there is no good reason other than it makes me feel better, but I figure there is prob a liter in there. I'll look to pull in behind a bmw or mercedes or harley, or something that looks like they may have used the premium.

·
Registered
15,608 Posts
There have been threads on this subject. Folks figure anything from a few OZ in the hose to a liter. Guess where in the pump box the valve is and guestimate the inner diameter of the hose and do the math.
Or, don't F'ng worry about stuff you can't control?
The essence of the fuel is the same, a few additives here and there to get the alleged octane level and away you go.
Storage time is crap for modern corn spiced gas. If you let it sit in any cansister, use the Seal foam kinda stuff.

·
Registered
338 Posts
like NSdave I fill my truck first and then both canister.

The only reason I used premium (Shell vpower 91) it's because it doesn't have any corn juice.

If I'm at 3 bar or less and see a Shell I'll stop and look at each pump to see if the last fill up was premium. If I find one I fill, if not I continue on my way. If I'm on a trip and need gas I'll put anything that I can find.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I'm at 3 bar or less and see a Shell I'll stop and look at each pump to see if the last fill up was premium. If I find one I fill, if not I continue on my way. If I'm on a trip and need gas I'll put anything that I can find.
interesting, how can you tell?

Brian

·
Registered
338 Posts
interesting, how can you tell?

Brian
Amount/quantity

The guy put 50$ and the pump show 50 liters the guy used regular at 1.00 per liter but another pump show 50$ but only 40 liters then the last client put premium at 1.25 per liter

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Amount/quantity

The guy put 50$ and the pump show 50 liters the guy used regular at 1.00 per liter but another pump show 50$ but only 40 liters then the last client put premium at 1.25 per liter
Time for me to practice math :surprise:

Brian

·
Registered
172 Posts
Won't work here in Oz. Each kind of fuel has its own hose off the one bowser.
Over the past year quite a few "gas stations" (servos, as we call them) have shut down to install pumps that have diesel at every pump because so many cars now use it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's funny, I ran premium for the first couple thousand miles, then i figured I'd try the cheap stuff since many were running it without incident. Interestingly I get better mpg with the cheap stuff!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Real Gas

There are some European bikes specified for more than 87 octane but of far greater importance is the ethanol added to most of our gas. The below site will help you find ethanol free fuel. Note ethanol is not available in AK, and ethanol free is found in most of Canada. I have a place close to Costco where I live. The energy content is 15-20% higher than the 10% ethanol and that will be reflected in your mileage. However, usually ethanol free is also premium or a mid grade octane you don't need. I store lawnmower gas a lot, also generator gas, so I rotate 7 5 gal containers of ethanol free and thus end up refueling bike at home on local rides. I can get 87 octane ethanol free close bye but it does cost an extra $.30-40/gal over Arco self serve, the cheapest locally available. If you don't have ethanol free, then you have to use Stabil, which is not too pricey but the Stabil Marine that is pricey is much better. Sea Foam is great and more pricey. From what I've read the ethanol will begin to break down into varnish in a container within a couple weeks, ethanol free after about 7 months. Ethanol with pricey additive will last a year but will not have the power density of ethanol free. But it has to be available. Utah has 67 gas stations selling ethanol free gas. OR has 233 and CA has 18. I guess CA and UT have one station for each denier but then OR is an outlier in that regard. NJ has just one station; they are in the tank for her.

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm lucky where I live. We have Spinx that carries ethanol free in 87 Octane. It's a dedicated hose too. That runs in the bike, my 478,000 mile original engine truck, and all my lawn equipment. It's nice to not have to pay for the premium stuff in that.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
it's good that my bike runs fine on ethanol as that's all that's available to me. And fueling stations are few and far between in my area of the country. Many carry regular only and none carry ethanol free. I recall 3 occasions where a station (in the middle of nowhere) could not supply me with fuel. They were out or had an issue with the pump. At one I had to call AAA to bring me fuel from 60 miles away while I waited with my bike parked at the pump.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts