Strom Trooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always stopped at the lone gas station in Fossil, Oregon in the past, and have never found it closed (mid-day, of course), but recent searches on the Interwebs and a phone call to the station that says the phone's been disconnected have me wondering ... is it still open? (Main Street Station).

And if they're open, do they sell Premium unleaded? I'm going to be riding through there soon on my GSX-R750 and takes 92 octane unleaded.

There's a station in Spray, but I don't recall if they sell 92 octane.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
According to a friend who has been through Fossil recently, the station is open but does NOT sell premium.

I forgot to ask if he had been through Spray. I'll check.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I call Richmond's Service in Maupin, who is the sole gas station there. He sells premium -- ethanol free, too! -- but it's in short supply. There's a Chevron in Dayville that sells premium. Things are real spotty, though, so I guess it pays to check things out ahead of time and plan your legs between fuel stops accordingly. Especially on a sport bike like my GSX-R750. Yes, I carry a 30 oz. fuel bottle with me just in case.

I've always been thankful my V-Strom uses regular unleaded, unlike the BMW GS series that uses premium. An adventure bike that uses premium never made much sense to me, regardless of how big their fuel tanks may be.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could take some octance booster along... The cycle shops sell it in plastic "bombs" that will treat a specific amount of gas, like 2 gallons.
Not a bad idea for when traveling in remote areas. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After a sublime trip from Sandy to John Day on my 2012 GSX-R750, I learned that Maupin has 92 octane ethanol-free unleaded, Spray and Fossil do not. Dayville is the next spot on that route with premium unleaded, as does Mt. Vernon and John Day, of course.

I saw quite a lot of bikes out and about, including Fossil, but didn't see a single V-Strom. Unusual.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I was in Spray on Monday and had one of the gray headed old ladies fill me up. I personally love riding the 35+ mile stretch along the John Day on RT 19.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Hearing all this makes me glad that all my vehicles take just plain old regular unleaded. I do worry about getting unleaded with 10% ethanol (I like Real Gas) but have to fill with it once in a while if I am on the road.

I expect that if I had a bike that required 92 octane I would be looking at getting rid of it if I lived out west where you can't find it sometimes.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Nightingale,

Nice to meet you in Fossil yesterday. Hope to see you around the area in the future.

BTW - that isn't the usual price of gas in Fossil. They took advantage of the Oregon 500 coming through town and raised the price by 47 cents. At least that is what the gentleman advertising the ABATE camp out told me.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I call Richmond's Service in Maupin, who is the sole gas station there. He sells premium -- ethanol free, too! -- but it's in short supply. There's a Chevron in Dayville that sells premium. Things are real spotty, though, so I guess it pays to check things out ahead of time and plan your legs between fuel stops accordingly. Especially on a sport bike like my GSX-R750. Yes, I carry a 30 oz. fuel bottle with me just in case.

I've always been thankful my V-Strom uses regular unleaded, unlike the BMW GS series that uses premium. An adventure bike that uses premium never made much sense to me, regardless of how big their fuel tanks may be.
I went thru those areas on the hells canyon rally on my 600. We were expecting gas in one town, and there was no station. I started sweating pretty bad, didn't get much over 100 miles before refills and I was at 130+. Most of the others doing that ride have cruisers for bikes with larger tanks.

One very big plus to the strom! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Hearing all this makes me glad that all my vehicles take just plain old regular unleaded. I do worry about getting unleaded with 10% ethanol (I like Real Gas) but have to fill with it once in a while if I am on the road.

I expect that if I had a bike that required 92 octane I would be looking at getting rid of it if I lived out west where you can't find it sometimes.
Ain't many places in Oregon with 'real' gas. Marinas, a few places like the gas station these guys were talking about. Most of them are 10% weasel wiz or whatever the stuff is.:green_lol:.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts