StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fired up my 03v tonight for the first time in three months and had a strong gas odor. I ran it only a minute or so and turned off. pulled the plastic engine guard off and could see a stain there but no puddling, checked but couldn't find any leaks. started the bike up again ran for 5 minutes then let it set for about an hour. no gas leak and no odor. could there be gas odor without having a leak after sitting so long? the stain in the engine guard could have been coolant I suppose.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds right to me! now I just need to ride more as that seems to cure most problems. fall is finally coming to the deep south. YEAH

·
Registered
383 Posts
Next time you have reason to remove the tank and airbox, I'd go ahead and put some better clamps on that fuel hose. Get the screw down type that are specifically for fuel line.

Here's where that hose is:

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Often, not running for a long time will cause the short hose between the injectors to dry out and shrink, allowing a leak when first starting up. After it gets wet, it will swell and seal.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-strom-discussion/54124-intermittent-gas-leak.html
Exactly. My '07 does this since it sits a lot; my wife rides it way less than she should. It's a bit unnerving at first but the leak and odor go away quickly once the bike is started and ridden.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
many thanks for the replies. as everyone said , I ran the bike on a 100 mi. lunch run then checked and no problem. that's why I like this site.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
It will get worse. Mine started to do this intermittently and I put 100,000 miles on it in 6 years. You need to replace the hose (in GWs picture) with a new one and get fuel injection hose clamps. Pretty soon it will leak all the time. It is not a hard repair.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Just replace the little hose using fuel injection rated stuff, good fuel injection clamps are key. I'm amazed the sucker is holding fuel at all if its original.

US ethanol blended fuel kills fuel system components. I check my bikes before any big trip, found 2 year old hoses cracked and leaking. Buy the good high pressure rated fuel line for fuel injection systems.

While your in there, replace the old vacuum lines too, replace the crappy coolant hose clamps, good time far a valve check etc. Preventive maintenance keeps you trouble free!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts