StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am new to the forum and getting ready to get a Wee.. Can you share with me real world gas mileage examples.. I ride 60+ miles each day and am looking for a bike that is fun to ride and somewhat economical..

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
My 50,000+ mile 07 650 has a lifetime avg fuel mileage of 52.36 mpg as of right now. I'm not a relaxed rider and have a 14T front sprocket.

Yes, I've documented every drop of fuel. It's easy with the iphone road trip app - takes an extra 20 seconds at gas stops.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I commute mostly on freeways and I've been checking mpg at almost every fuel stop and it's been 50-52 mpg for last 3k miles.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Mine is still breaking in with only 3100 miles on the clock. I'm getting anywhere from 47-51. Of course on long trips it is consistently at the upper end of that range. YMMV.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I do a bit more around town riding (less than 15 miles to school M-F) with weekend rides thrown into the mix. I average around 46-48mpg.... coming from the sportbike world with a very happy right hand :beatnik:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Here's a couple years and about 23000 miles worth of real-world example - every fillup from the day it was new. This is with mostly freeway commuting, a hefty 6'-1" 260-lb rider, and a semihooliganistic right wrist:

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/stoopy/vstrom-dl650?fu=2260937

Pleasure rides on back country roads and fire roads in the mountains gets about 54-55 MPG average. Aggressive riding at higher speeds on the freeway averages 51-52 MPG summer, dips into 46-48 MPG in winter.

·
Registered
170 Posts
50 mpg avg. That includes some city, some highway at 75 indicated with an occasional full throttle. I can get 58-60 if I baby the throttle and lower my cruising speed to around 40-50 but it's not really safe to do that on the slab. If I had access to country back roads it would work.

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
My average is 55 mpg. Best year (riding season) was 57 and worst was 53. Best tank is 63 and worst 48, but the accuracy of a single tank fillup is suspect so I wouldn't put any money on either.

·
Registered
56 Posts
With all these posts of 50+ mpg the mileage on my 2011 really looks bad. I have 800 + miles on it and my average would be 38 mpg. My KLR did better than this and it was a single cylinder carbed motor.

My daily ride is 30 miles round trip, 20 of it on freeway at 70 mph (78-80 indicated) I am really disappointed that I am not getting any better mileage.
I was hoping with a fuel injected twin I would be getting mid to upper 40's.

Still better than the mileage on my suburban but not the mileage I was hoping for.

·
Registered
21 Posts
With all these posts of 50+ mpg the mileage on my 2011 really looks bad. I have 800 + miles on it and my average would be 38 mpg. My KLR did better than this and it was a single cylinder carbed motor.

My daily ride is 30 miles round trip, 20 of it on freeway at 70 mph (78-80 indicated) I am really disappointed that I am not getting any better mileage.

Still better than the mileage on my suburban but not the mileage I was hoping for.
Have you thought about going up a tooth or 2 on the counter sprocket. I would think if most of your riding is at 70 mph you would have a lot to gain by regearing.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I've put ~6700 miles on the bike since purchase and have tracked every drop of fuel I've put through it. Fuelly shows a lifetime average of 55.2 MPG with an all-time best of 62.

I commute on my motorcycle in good weather. That commute is ~60 miles of 'slab at 75-85 MPH indicated followed by the return trip on local roads and state highways at speeds up to 60 MPH. On the weekends I have been known to chase sport-bikes.

Motorcycle is entirely stock save the Givi E21 cases mounted pretty much all the time. I am still on the factory rubber.

I pump the cheapest 87 octane I can find.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I am pretty sure the prior owner put on sprockets that lowered the gearing a bit, as I'm running higher engine speeds on the highway than other folks here seem to mention.

That being said, I find that on longer trips with a larger windshield, and large sidecases on the bike and stupid behavior on small roads I get about 47 mpg. Other folks clearly do quite a bit better, so I put it down to the luggage, the windshield, and the gearing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Have you thought about going up a tooth or 2 on the counter sprocket. I would think if most of your riding is at 70 mph you would have a lot to gain by regearing.

I thought about going up 1 tooth on the counter sprocket. I did this on my KLR and it didn't really effect the mileage. As far as power and everything I am happy with the 650 Strom just disappointed in the mileage. I am hoping that as the warmer weather gets here and I get some more miles on the bike the mileage will get better.

·
Registered
267 Posts

I am not sure what is going on with my 2011 Wee but the mileage is down on it compared to my 09 Wee. My last tank was 43.3 and that was 95% on the highway running a true 70-75mph on the GPS. With my 09 it was always in the low 50'smpg. Maybe when my 2011 gets a few more miles on it, it will be better and also here in this area we are still on winter fuel. So don't feel like the Lone Ranger out there

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
I've documented mine over three seasons with the aCar app.

16,000 miles - 51.1 mpg. Highest full tank 60.0, lowest full tank 42.4. Max distance 294 - took 5.2 gallons to fill.

·
Registered
22,333 Posts
1 - 20 of 49 Posts